Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Fileserver/desktop search engine

Re: Fileserver/desktop search engine

Alan

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a search engine for use on our Windows network. We
> mainly need to search the fileserver but searching on the local
> workstations, especially Outlook, would be useful too.
>
> We need to control access to the fileserver for different groups
> though.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> --
> Ray Greene

Some ideas to explore:

- Search Express is, I believe, free from MS and specifically for
server side install.

- Desktop Search, but I have no idea what impact it would have on a
server. If you are going down that path, I strongly advise you test
it first before going anywhere near a production server.

Please do post back and let us know what you went with as I, and
probably others, would be very interested.

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Ray Greene

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:21:32 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some ideas to explore:
>
> - Search Express is, I believe, free from MS and specifically for
>server side install.
>
> - Desktop Search, but I have no idea what impact it would have on a
>server. If you are going down that path, I strongly advise you test
>it first before going anywhere near a production server.
>

>Please do post back and let us know what you went with as I, and
>probably others, would be very interested.

I hadn't heard of Search Express, but I've downloaded a copy and I'll
try it out.

I'll let the group know what I end up using.

--
Ray Greene

Dave Doe

says...
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:21:32 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Some ideas to explore:
> >
> > - Search Express is, I believe, free from MS and specifically for
> >server side install.
> >
> > - Desktop Search, but I have no idea what impact it would have on a
> >server. If you are going down that path, I strongly advise you test
> >it first before going anywhere near a production server.
> >

> >Please do post back and let us know what you went with as I, and
> >probably others, would be very interested.

> I hadn't heard of Search Express, but I've downloaded a copy and I'll
> try it out.

I didn't like it. Not enough options to set to provide the sort of
searching I wanted (initially, just Outlook (ie Exchange) data
indexing).

See reply re Search V4 on your other msg.

--
Duncan