Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Additional DC

Additional DC

Hollywood0728

Hi, I need to setup a DC in a remote site. The remote site will be connected
via a VPN IPSec tunnell (LAN to LAN) not sure on speed but should imagine
minimum 2mb download, 1mb upload. The remote site is local to the main site
(same town).

What do I need to do regards configuring the remote DC? Should I build it on
site, let it replicate then ship? The remote DC will also run DNS + DHCP for
the local clients. The IP Subnet will differ from the main site, how will
this affect DNS?

Example:
Site 1 DC IP Subnet 10.0.0.x 255.255.255.0
Site 2 DC IP Subnet 10.0.1.x 255.255.255.0

Advice based on experience would be great.

Bill Hileman

Hollywood0728 wrote:
> What do I need to do regards configuring the remote DC?

Hiring a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer would be a great start.

Hollywood0728

Ya, one that actually knows something is the hard part. Braindumps are
dangerous for people that think they are a MCSE.

Hollywood0728 wrote:
> Ya, one that actually knows something is the hard part. Braindumps
> are dangerous for people that think they are a MCSE.
>
> "Bill Hileman" wrote:
>
>> Hollywood0728 wrote:
>>> What do I need to do regards configuring the remote DC?

>> Hiring a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer would be a great start.

Nice... You're okay in my book.

TBone

And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause the

> Hi, I need to setup a DC in a remote site. The remote site will be
> connected via a VPN IPSec tunnell (LAN to LAN) not sure on speed but
> should imagine minimum 2mb download, 1mb upload. The remote site is
> local to the main site (same town).

Your routers should look after the communication between the two
subnets.

The rest is pretty easy. I've set this up a bunch of times. Keep all
services (DNS, WINS, whatever) contains within the subnet to minimize
traffic over the WAN.

If you mention where you are perhaps someone lurking around the group
would be interested in a little contract work to help you set it up
properly?

-------

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

LRM

"TBone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
> And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause the
> electrons to come together and form the following words:
>
>> Hi, I need to setup a DC in a remote site. The remote site will be
>> connected via a VPN IPSec tunnell (LAN to LAN) not sure on speed but
>> should imagine minimum 2mb download, 1mb upload. The remote site is
>> local to the main site (same town).

> Your routers should look after the communication between the two
> subnets.
>
> The rest is pretty easy. I've set this up a bunch of times. Keep all
> services (DNS, WINS, whatever) contains within the subnet to minimize
> traffic over the WAN.
>
> If you mention where you are perhaps someone lurking around the group
> would be interested in a little contract work to help you set it up
> properly?

I agree with T-Bone, it is easy, and all the services he mentioned should be
installed to keep things local. Also it is easier for everyone if you
preconfigure everything in your data center leaving the ip config and
authorizing dhcp to be done at the end just before you shut it down and
ship. That way all that has to be done at the remote site is to plug it into
the network and turn it on.