Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Beatport

Beatport

Craig Shore

Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
a track and it's playing almost instantly.

If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
quite a few tracks.

www.beatport.com

Anyone got any other examples of well programmed www sites?

Dave Taylor

Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyone got any other examples of well programmed www sites?

http://www.grc.com
Once you get past the splash, it is quick. If it is not, tell steve! He
will listen to constructive criticism.
The new BETA DNS tester is here:
"

Gang...

What I have online now seems quite unimpressive given what was
necessary to create this next approach for comprehensive DNS
nameserver statistics gathering. But I am confident that the
analysis presentation I have in mind for the next round of
development will make up for its current lack of pizzazz. <g>

The questions are:

o Does the new system work for everyone?
o Does it gather lots of raw data?
o Does it find multiple nameservers?
o Is it robust and reliable?

Let's find out.

I have no doubt that you guys will let me know!

https://www.grc.com/dns

--
Ciao, Dave

Enkidu

Craig Shore wrote:
> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
> this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
> ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
> the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
> And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
> a track and it's playing almost instantly.
>
> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
> quite a few tracks.
>
> www.beatport.com

It doesn't work without Flash Player.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <48bf0455$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Craig Shore wrote:
>> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
>> this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
>> ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
>> the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
>> And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
>> a track and it's playing almost instantly.
>>
>> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
>> quite a few tracks.
>>
>> www.beatport.com
>>

>It doesn't work without Flash Player.

So it's broken then.

impossible

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48bf0455$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Craig Shore wrote:
>> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
>> this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
>> ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
>> the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
>> And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
>> a track and it's playing almost instantly.
>>
>> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
>> quite a few tracks.
>>
>> www.beatport.com
>>

> It doesn't work without Flash Player.

So install Flash Player. It's a free plugin, for heaven's sake, and it will
greatly improrve your browsing experience on this site and many others
(assuming, of course, that you have a true broadband connection).

Craig Shore

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:40:37 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
>> this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
>> ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
>> the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
>> And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
>> a track and it's playing almost instantly.
>>
>> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
>> quite a few tracks.
>>
>> www.beatport.com
>>

>It doesn't work without Flash Player.

True, and you need javascript as well. It's not a static page, I
doubt they would have been able to acheive what they have without
flash.

Enkidu

impossible wrote:
> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:48bf0455$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Craig Shore wrote:
>>> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone
>>> into this www site. If only all web sites had this level of
>>> functionality, ease of use, and speed. It's all the little
>>> things like for example the mouse over scrolling of track names
>>> that don't fit in the box And the speed of it feels like you're
>>> using a local app! You click on a track and it's playing almost
>>> instantly.
>>>
>>> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be
>>> buying quite a few tracks.
>>>
>>> www.beatport.com
>>>

>> It doesn't work without Flash Player.
>>

> So install Flash Player. It's a free plugin, for heaven's sake, and
> it will greatly improrve your browsing experience on this site and
> many others (assuming, of course, that you have a true broadband
> connection).

There is still no 64 bit flash player.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:40:37 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Craig Shore wrote:
>>> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
>>> this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
>>> ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
>>> the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
>>> And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
>>> a track and it's playing almost instantly.
>>>
>>> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
>>> quite a few tracks.
>>>
>>> www.beatport.com
>>>

>> It doesn't work without Flash Player.

> True, and you need javascript as well. It's not a static page, I
> doubt they would have been able to achieve what they have without
> flash.

I fired up the old 32 Windows to have a look. It's not that great.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

impossible

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:40:37 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Craig Shore wrote:
>>> Can't help but be impressed with the programming that has gone into
>>> this www site. If only all web sites had this level of functionality,
>>> ease of use, and speed. It's all the little things like for example
>>> the mouse over scrolling of track names that don't fit in the box
>>> And the speed of it feels like you're using a local app! You click on
>>> a track and it's playing almost instantly.
>>>
>>> If there was a mainstream music www site like it I think i'd be buying
>>> quite a few tracks.
>>>
>>> www.beatport.com
>>>

>>It doesn't work without Flash Player.

> True, and you need javascript as well. It's not a static page, I
> doubt they would have been able to acheive what they have without
> flash.

It's **not** a static page, no. That would be the last thing this kind of
site needs! So what's wrong with using javascrip, Flash, or any other tools
that can generate dynamic content? Static pages can be useful in some
applications, but they are becoming more and more obsolete.

impossible

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48bf9e4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:48bf0455$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It doesn't work without Flash Player.
>>>

>> So install Flash Player. It's a free plugin, for heaven's sake, and
>> it will greatly improrve your browsing experience on this site and
>> many others (assuming, of course, that you have a true broadband
>> connection).
>>

> There is still no 64 bit flash player.

Who cares? You can run run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a
64-bit operating system. No excuse for not doing so in this day and age.