Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Flash site showing off or going to the extreme?

Flash site showing off or going to the extreme?

John Hosking

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Sep 3, 11:05 am, Chaddy2222 wrote:
>> You really should read everything at:http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

> I actually find about 1/2 of those sites to be pretty nice. Guess
> that shows what sucks in one person's eyes can be great in another
> person's eyes

I refuse to call "great" (or even accept) a site that sucks in a
person's eyes.

--
John
No matter who that person is.

Travis Newbury

On Sep 4, 6:44*pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I refuse to call "great" (or even accept) a site that sucks in a
> person's eyes.

So if a site "sucks" in anyone's eyes, then you could never accept
that site as being good? So does that means you don't think any sites
on the web are good because every site sucks to someone.

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2008-09-05, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Sep 4, 6:44*pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> I refuse to call "great" (or even accept) a site that sucks in a
> >> person's eyes.

> > So if a site "sucks" in anyone's eyes, then you could never accept
> > that site as being good?

> I think John's point was that people's eyes should remain in their
> sockets when viewing web sites.

Or perhaps he might not go quite as far as this, perhaps he would regard
a site that did this as interesting in various ways, just not great. Me,
I'd be entranced as a third party observer to see it happen and would
not hesitate to use "great" ...

--
dorayme

Harlan Messinger

richard wrote:
> http://www.quadricsoft.com/main.asp
>
> Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
> While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
> purpose in showing off what flash can do.
>
> Find the samples and click on any button and you'll see numerus
> tricks.

What is the purpose of the three triangles simulating sexual intercourse?

There's so much movement that it was nearly a minute before it occurred
to me there was text on the page to be read.

Meanwhile, what does it show about Flash? That you can create
animations? That's about as earthshattering as the realization that you
can use CSS to italicize text.

Bergamot

Ben C wrote:
> On 2008-09-05, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 6:44 pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> I refuse to call "great" (or even accept) a site that sucks in a
>>> person's eyes.

>> So if a site "sucks" in anyone's eyes, then you could never accept
>> that site as being good?

> I think John's point was that people's eyes should remain in their
> sockets when viewing web sites.

Yeah, I got this, too. Travis must be a little slow this morning.

--
Berg

Travis Newbury

On Sep 5, 8:32*am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yeah, I got this, too. Travis must be a little slow this morning.

If you mean "only" this morning, then thank you...

--

Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2008-09-05, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I think John's point was that people's eyes should remain in their
> >> sockets when viewing web sites.

> > Or perhaps he might not go quite as far as this, perhaps he would regard
> > a site that did this as interesting in various ways, just not great. Me,
> > I'd be entranced as a third party observer to see it happen and would
> > not hesitate to use "great" ...

> Actually marketing types do use expressions like "grabbing people's
> eyeballs" mainly to explain their plans for putting ads everywhere.
>
> I'm sure there's a David Cronenberg film to be made out of this
> somewhere.

I think any such film would only make money if it was carefully
calibrated to only take a few people's eyeballs. It does not make much
sense to want your eyeballs - or any other balls you might happen to
have - grabbed by a film.

However, if a film is made with the ability to grab very few on a random
basis and this is advertised widely then people would flock in for the
pleasure of watching others being subjected to it.

In The Purple Rose of Cairo the characters in the film walk out into the
real world, we are discussing a variation of the very opposite. The very
opposite is audience members walking into films, the variation being
that their body parts are sucked in.

--
dorayme