Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Flash site showing off or going to the extreme?

Flash site showing off or going to the extreme?

richard

http://www.quadricsoft.com/main.asp

Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
purpose in showing off what flash can do.

Find the samples and click on any button and you'll see numerus
tricks.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-09-03, richard wrote:
> http://www.quadricsoft.com/main.asp
>
> Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
> While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
> purpose in showing off what flash can do.
>
> Find the samples and click on any button and you'll see numerus
> tricks.

An excellent example of an unreadable page; the text is far too
small for me to read. It should read "Flash debilitated", not
"Flash enabled".

Author:

John Hosking

richard wrote:
> http://www.quadricsoft.com/main.asp
>
> Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
> While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
> purpose in showing off what flash can do.

Yes, because the Web needs more (pointlessly) animated graphics, marquee
scrolling, and miniature, non-resizable text. While that page is
displayed, even without me hovering or clicking on anything, my CPU
usage floats at around 80%-85%, up from about 5%-10%.

> Find the samples and click on any button and you'll see numerus
> tricks.

It's hardly fun trying to click the links when they're spinning and
jumping away from the cursor like they do. Oddly, their samples aren't
dynamic; it's just the execrable UI of the page that do the actual "tricks".

--
John
Feeling too grumpy to be on the Internet today.

Irina Rempt

richard wrote:

> Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
> While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
> purpose in showing off what flash can do.

I beg to differ: it is gaudy, gawky (no 'gawdy' in my dictionary) as well as
totally ridiculous. I don't like pointless movement in sites.

Also, I already know what flash can do, and I prefer it not to do it to me.

Irina

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

Travis Newbury

On Sep 3, 3:20*am, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
> While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
> purpose in showing off what flash can do.

That is completely gaudy and totally ridiculous!

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

Travis Newbury

On Sep 3, 5:29*am, Irina Rempt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Also, I already know what flash can do, and I prefer it not to do it to me.

I believe one of the main problems Flash has with it's reputation is
that many people, like yourself, believe that this site is an example
of what Flash can do.

This page demonstrates a very small subset of Flash's capabilities.

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

Chaddy2222

On Sep 3, 5:20*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.quadricsoft.com/main.asp
>
> Whilst hunting for various flash menus ideas I came across this site.
> While it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous, it does kind of serve a
> purpose in showing off what flash can do.
>
> Find the samples and click on any button and you'll see numerus
> tricks.

You really should read everything at:
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

Travis Newbury

On Sep 3, 11:05*am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You really should read everything at:http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

I actually find about 1/2 of those sites to be pretty nice. Guess
that shows what sucks in one person's eyes can be great in another
person's eyes

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

Bergamot

richard wrote:
> http://www.quadricsoft.com/main.asp
>
> it's not gawdy or totally ridiculous

I beg to differ. I couldn't hit the 'back' button quick enough.

--
Berg

cwdjrxyz

On Sep 3, 8:52*am, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 5:29*am, Irina Rempt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Also, I already know what flash can do, and I prefer it not to do it to me.

> I believe one of the main problems Flash has with it's reputation is
> that many people, like yourself, believe that this site is an example
> of what Flash can do.
>
> This page demonstrates a very small subset of Flash's capabilities.

Flash suffers from the reputation it had, especially for early
versions. The animation was often crude, it was often autostarted, and
it often could not be turned off. Then it was usually used for ads.
While I and likely most who visit this group dislike this sort of
thing, the hard-sell approach is still apparently live and well in
some circles. There are still plenty of loud, fast talking, often
nearly screaming people on US TV trying to get you to buy something,
and apparently they sell things, because the cost of national TV ads
is very high.

With the introduction of the flv (flash video) and use of flv/swf
files a few versions ago, flash became capable of video as good as
Microsoft, Real, QT etc formats. If you will look at the web sites of
many of the largest US TV and cable news sources you will find that
many are now using flv/swf for news content video and not just ads.
The reason for this is very simple. A flash player is installed on
more computers than any of the earlier video formats mentioned. Also
the WMP, which at one time was the main video player, can now be
installed only on Windows XP or Vista for the most recent 2 versions -
WMP 10 and 11.

You can perhaps equal the bad taste and annoyance of bad flash using
just some html, css, and JavaScript - dhtml. This is not now used
nearly as much as flash because it usually takes much more time to
write the code, and one must have a very good knowledge of Javascript.
To prove my point, you might like to visit hell. Be warned that this
page has autostarted sound (if you have WMP installed) and flashing
visual effects that might not be suitable for those with epilepsyThe
sound is repeated 10000 times. I do take mercy on you and provide a
WMP control panel that lets you turn the sound off. If this does not
prove the point, I would like to know the url of a flash video that is
more annoying. The url for hell is http://cwdjr.net/flash/hell.html .