Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Google Chrome Browser - Very Early Observations

Google Chrome Browser - Very Early Observations

cwdjrxyz

As of 7 pm CDT, Sept 2, in the US, the download for Chrome still was
not noted on the main Google page. However I found it at
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html and download was fast. All hell
will likely break out when it is announced on the main Google page,
and download might be slow. What you first download is just a short
installer file. When you double click it, you are connected to the web
and download and install the main files. There were no problems
downloading and installing on a Windows P OS. It may be a while before
downloads are available for other OSs.

The desktop view is clean and mean. Navigation is a bit different than
in most other browsers and will take a little time to fully
appreciate. I have most of the major media players installed on my
computer. Chrome played Real, and WMP players without additional
setup. SWF would not play and you had to download a plugin for it.
However easy to follow instructions were given for this, and the
plugin download was fast.

Apparently Chrome can handle true xhtml served properly as application/
xhtml+xml. View such a page at http://www.cwdjr.info/test/formtestX.xhtml
which will not show up on browsers such as IE7 that do not support
true xhtml served properly. However when you view the source code of
this page on Chrome, the Doctype for html 4.01 strict is displayed
nearly blanked out and the code starts with the html tag. This is all
very strange, and I have no idea what is going on. All other browser
that support this xhtml page show the xhtml Doctype and it is not
nearly blanked out.

Anyway, most of you likely will want to download Chrome to check it
out at least. It is quite different in many ways from other popular
browsers.

Harlan Messinger

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> As of 7 pm CDT, Sept 2, in the US, the download for Chrome still was
> not noted on the main Google page. However I found it at
> http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html and download was fast. All hell
> will likely break out when it is announced on the main Google page,
> and download might be slow. What you first download is just a short
> installer file. When you double click it, you are connected to the web
> and download and install the main files. There were no problems
> downloading and installing on a Windows P OS. It may be a while before
> downloads are available for other OSs.

I wonder if the reason you were able to access it through the EULA page
is that they had gotten everything but the main page ready, to be posted
earlier today on schedule, and then one of the developers burst and
cried out, "Oh, no, massive bug! Don't let the public download it till I
fix it!"

Rick

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> cwdjrxyz wrote:
>> As of 7 pm CDT, Sept 2, in the US, the download for Chrome still was
>> not noted on the main Google page. However I found it at
>> http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html and download was fast. All hell
>> will likely break out when it is announced on the main Google page,
>> and download might be slow. What you first download is just a short
>> installer file. When you double click it, you are connected to the web
>> and download and install the main files. There were no problems
>> downloading and installing on a Windows P OS. It may be a while before
>> downloads are available for other OSs.

> I wonder if the reason you were able to access it through the EULA page
> is that they had gotten everything but the main page ready, to be posted
> earlier today on schedule, and then one of the developers burst and
> cried out, "Oh, no, massive bug! Don't let the public download it till I
> fix it!"

I downloaded from here:

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

+mrcakey

On page 8, that jigsaw piece thing that's being told off for using too much
memory. Remind anyone of anything?!!!

+mrcakey

+mrcakey

They blather on about how efficient their JS VM is, but www.bbc.co.uk, which
is quite JS heavy, is very much more clunky in Chrome than in FF3.

Generally quite impressed with all they're saying, but I guess it'll take a
while to see what it can really do.

The other thing is a vague sense of uneasiness over them controlling search
AND potentially going down Microsoft's embrace, extend, extinguish model.
They're already talking about things they've done that they hope may become
standards.

+mrcakey

cwdjrxyz

On Sep 2, 8:27*pm, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As of 7 pm CDT, Sept 2, *in the US, the download for Chrome still was
> not noted on the main Google page. However I found it athttp://www.google..com/chrome/eula.htmland download was fast. All hell
> will likely break out when it is announced on the main Google page,
> and download might be slow. What you first download is just a short
> installer file. When you double click it, you are connected to the web
> and download and install the main files. There were no problems
> downloading and installing on a Windows XP OS. It may be a while before
> downloads are available for other OSs.

The Chrome browser was offered for a short time on the Google main
page. Now they have moved to more > still more and marked as new.

Here are a few properties I detected:

appCodeName=Mozilla
appMinorVersion=undefined
appName=Netscape
appVersion=5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13
(KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13
userAgent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/
525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

Just look at the appVersion and userAgent. They make the browser
appear as a bit of a Frankenstein monster made of bits and pieces of
other browsers and applications as well as new Google code. At least
it should be easy enough to spot when a Chrome browser visits your
server, unless the very long userAgent gets truncated.

Harlan Messinger

Rick wrote:
> Harlan Messinger wrote:
>> cwdjrxyz wrote:
>>> As of 7 pm CDT, Sept 2, in the US, the download for Chrome still was
>>> not noted on the main Google page. However I found it at
>>> http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html and download was fast. All hell
>>> will likely break out when it is announced on the main Google page,
>>> and download might be slow. What you first download is just a short
>>> installer file. When you double click it, you are connected to the web
>>> and download and install the main files. There were no problems
>>> downloading and installing on a Windows P OS. It may be a while before
>>> downloads are available for other OSs.

>> I wonder if the reason you were able to access it through the EULA
>> page is that they had gotten everything but the main page ready, to be
>> posted earlier today on schedule, and then one of the developers burst
>> and cried out, "Oh, no, massive bug! Don't let the public download it
>> till I fix it!"

> I downloaded from here:
> http://www.google.com/chrome

Well, yeah, they finally put it up.

So I just used it for my morning browse through the newspaper, opening
up tabs for all the section front pages I keep in a bookmark folder, and
it went as smoothly as it ever has in Firefox.

One of the menu options, under Developer, is the Task Manager, which
leads to about:memory. Fiddling around with other guesses at about:
options I found that about:stats leads to a large set of runtime
counters and timers prefaced with the warning, "Shhh! This page is
secret!" so naturally I thought I'd tell you all about it.

Given that it's version 0.2.something I can only assume that such
detailed options as cookie management are yet to come.

ddg_linux

On Sep 3, 7:01*am, Harlan Messinger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rick wrote:
> > Harlan Messinger wrote:

> >> I wonder if the reason you were able to access it through the EULA
> >> page is that they had gotten everything but the main page ready, to be
> >> posted earlier today on schedule, and then one of the developers burst
> >> and cried out, "Oh, no, massive bug! Don't let the public download it
> >> till I fix it!"

> > I downloaded from here:
> >http://www.google.com/chrome

> Well, yeah, they finally put it up.
>
> So I just used it for my morning browse through the newspaper, opening
> up tabs for all the section front pages I keep in a bookmark folder, and
> it went as smoothly as it ever has in Firefox.
>
> One of the menu options, under Developer, is the Task Manager, which
> leads to about:memory. Fiddling around with other guesses at about:
> options I found that about:stats leads to a large set of runtime
> counters and timers prefaced with the warning, "Shhh! This page is
> secret!" so naturally I thought I'd tell you all about it.
>
> Given that it's version 0.2.something I can only assume that such
> detailed options as cookie management are yet to come.

Thanks for the about:stats page within chrome. Not sure how I am
going to use this information exactly but
if you do.. I would love to hear some suggestions.

Cheers