Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Some questions.

Some questions.

Mr. X.

Hello.

Question 1.
--------------
In HTML page, I am using framesets :

i.e.
<frameset cols = "*,776,*">
<frame />
<frameset rows = "140,*">
<frame src = "my_page1.html"/>
<frameset cols = "*,180">
<frame src = "my_page2.html" name = "main_body" />
<frame src = "my_page3.html" />
</frameset>
</frameset>
<frame />
</frameset>

I want that the whole page will be a scrollable one (for my page, only
vertical scroll component), but the inner frames won't be scrollable.

How can I do that ?

Question 2.
--------------
How can I represent a text-box with contents, and how can I load it's
contents from XML etc ... ?

Question 3.
-------------
Same as question 2, but need also solution for reachtext box.

Thanks

Ari Heino

Why do you want to use frames?

--
Ari
http://users.utu.fi/athein/

Mr. X.

Frames it's a choice, for cons & pros, that I can use it to refresh contents
of a single frame,
and link it to another page, without refresh the whole page.

(For my example, I can write a javascript from my_page3.html, such as :
parent.main_body.location = "http:// ... new_source.html".
my_page3.html can be buttons ...)

(Also, did you mean CSS style with relative XPos and YPos ?
It doesn't solve the above)
Any other offer ?

For my questions, I would like an answer, please.

Another question (Question 4) :
When I use scrolling = "YES", I succeeded writing it for a single frame, but
:
scrolling is always visible (I just want to scroll when necessary).

How can I do the above ?

Thanks

Harlan Messinger

Mr. X. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Question 2.
> --------------
> How can I represent a text-box with contents, and how can I load it's
> contents from XML etc ... ?

You need to learn some web server programming technology, like PHP or
ASP.NET.

> Question 3.
> -------------
> Same as question 2, but need also solution for reachtext box.

Assuming you mean *rich* text, there is no such thing as a rich text box
in HTML. There's the single-line text box (input tag with type="text")
and there's the multi-line textarea tag, but both of those are for plain
text.

C A Upsdell

Mr. X. wrote:
> Frames it's a choice

Usually a poor choice, unless you don't care whether search engines or
bookmarks can link to individual pages, and unless you don't care what
happens if the user has disabled frames.

Blinky the Shark

C A Upsdell wrote:

> Mr. X. wrote:
>> Frames it's a choice

> Usually a poor choice, unless you don't care whether search engines or
> bookmarks can link to individual pages, and unless you don't care what
> happens if the user has disabled frames.

As long as it fits his browsing style, what does it matter if it fits his
visitors'. They're just a bunch of nuisances, anyway.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

dorayme

In article <g9km0g$ucd$(E-Mail Removed)>,
C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mr. X. wrote:
> > Frames it's a choice

> Usually a poor choice, unless you don't care whether search engines or
> bookmarks can link to individual pages, and unless you don't care what
> happens if the user has disabled frames.

This last is an uncommon warning. There is *so* much that website makers
need to care about!

--
dorayme

Mr. X.

I have asked several questions,
but I have seen a discuss of "wheather frames are good solution or not",
and get no answer to any of my questions (some of my questions are not
related to frames).

I shall ask them again here :

Question 1.
--------------
In HTML page, I am using framesets :

i.e.
<frameset cols = "*,776,*">
<frame />
<frameset rows = "140,*">
<frame src = "my_page1.html"/>
<frameset cols = "*,180">
<frame src = "my_page2.html" name = "main_body" />
<frame src = "my_page3.html" />
</frameset>
</frameset>
<frame />
</frameset>

I want that the whole page will be a scrollable one (for my page, only
vertical scroll component), but the inner frames won't be scrollable.

How can I do that ?

Question 2.
--------------
How can I represent a text-box with contents, and how can I load it's
contents from XML, rtf-file, etc ... ?

Question 3.
-------------
Same as question 2, but need also solution for reachtext box.

Question 4.
------------

"Harlan Messinger" wrote to my questions :

> > Question 2 ...

> You need to learn some web server programming technology, like PHP or
> ASP.NET.

I know ASP, just forgot what is the exact command for loading into textbox.

Thanks

Harlan Messinger

Mr. X. wrote:
> "Harlan Messinger" wrote to my questions :
>
>> > Question 2 ...

>> You need to learn some web server programming technology, like PHP or
>> ASP.NET.

> I know ASP, just forgot what is the exact command for loading into textbox.
>
> Thanks

If you know any ASP at all I'm surprised you're asking about "commands"
for "loading" anything into a textbox or anywhere else because there is
no such command and because there isn't any difference between using ASP
to display characters in a textbox and using ASP to display characters
anywhere else on the page. It seems like you need to go back and review
your ASP skills.

If you're talking about how to get the data out of XML or a database,
well, it isn't a simple answer or a simple command; you need to learn
how data access works in ASP, using the XML document object model or
ADO, respectively.