Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Some questions.

Reply
Thread Tools

Some questions.

 
 
Bergamot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2008

Mr. X. wrote:
> I have asked several questions,
> but I have seen a discuss of "wheather frames are good solution or not",
> and get no answer to any of my questions (some of my questions are not
> related to frames).


If you ask how to shoot yourself in the foot, most folks around here are
not inclined to give you such instruction.

With that in mind, frames are most often a lousy way to construct a web
page, so you're not likely to get a lot of advice except to find a
different solution.

You mentioned in another post that you already "know ASP", so why not
make use of that instead of frames, especially if you're going to use it
for your non-frames issue? Your visitors will probably thank you for it.

--
Berg
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harlan Messinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2008
Jack wrote:
> Mr. X
>
> Sorry. As you see, there are a very few people here that would much
> rather lecture than try to help. They do this mostly when they don't
> know the answer but want to be heard.


Yeah, they're sort of like people in a homemaking newsgroup who,
encountering someone who wants to know "Sometimes when I'm in the
bathtub I get hungry and I wish I could just lean over and pop some
toast in a toaster. What kind of toaster should I get?", respond, "You
shouldn't operate a toaster near the bathtub." Perfectly horrible
people, they are, not knowing the answer but just wanting to be heard.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2008
In article <g9mbbn$qf2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

> In HTML page, I am using framesets :
>

....
> I want that the whole page will be a scrollable one (for my page, only
> vertical scroll component), but the inner frames won't be scrollable.


If you have a couple of cols and don't want the scrollbars when not
needed on the frames, you can do

<frameset cols="100, *">

<frame src="nav.html" name="navigation" scrolling="no">
<frame src="content.html" name="rightframe" scrolling="auto">

</frameset>

and this might suit if the right is content and the left is short nav.
It will, for all the world, seem as if the page is a normal one that
triggers a vertical scrollbar when needed.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Harlan Messinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2008
Jack wrote:
> Harlen
>
> You make my point for me.


No I don't.

> Frames are a perfectly legal proper accepted by W3 method of designing
> web pages.


Lots of things that are legal are a bad idea.

> Your example has no merit at all. Frames are NOT
> dangerous, just unliked.


For lots of good reasons that are, accordingly, good reasons to advise
someone not to use them.

> I would not use them either. He had
> questions he needed answered, not lessons in electrical safety.


I'll add you to my list of people who doesn't understand what the point
of an analogy is.

>
> Jack
>
>
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:54:09 -0400, Harlan Messinger
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jack wrote:
>>> Mr. X
>>>
>>> Sorry. As you see, there are a very few people here that would much
>>> rather lecture than try to help. They do this mostly when they don't
>>> know the answer but want to be heard.

>> Yeah, they're sort of like people in a homemaking newsgroup who,
>> encountering someone who wants to know "Sometimes when I'm in the
>> bathtub I get hungry and I wish I could just lean over and pop some
>> toast in a toaster. What kind of toaster should I get?", respond, "You
>> shouldn't operate a toaster near the bathtub." Perfectly horrible
>> people, they are, not knowing the answer but just wanting to be heard.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2008
On Sep 3, 6:58*pm, Harlan Messinger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Frames are a perfectly legal proper accepted by W3 method of designing
> > web pages.

> Lots of things that are legal are a bad idea.


That is such a lame argument. Or better yet, "Just because you can do
it, doesn't mean you should do it". That is as equally lame. There
are plenty of good reasons not to use frames, your statement isn't one
of them.

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr. X.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2008
I have found answers to my questions ...

Thanks, anyway.

For frames, for my opinion, it does some arrangemants on what you do, even
of its complication.
It also compitable for all browsers (netscape, IE for all versions, and more
....)
When you know how using it - it can be proffitable.

I didn't mean to open a useless argument. If someone doesn't know, so he/she
shouldn't answer.
Besides, there are lots that claim frames to be the best attitude.
It is a solution for pros & cons, but when you create some attitudes on your
work, you must not change them frequency.
(i.e I have created many functions, that one of create a menu from xml -
that can be changed much better from other attitudes).

For Question 1 :
What I did to solve the scroll problem, is use iframe that is linked to an
HTML that has includes frames.

For Question 2 :
There is a StreamReader object for that,
but I don't understand why at the main site www.w3schools.com there isn't
any clue for that object, which I by mistake found on the internet.

For Question 3:
I didn't find any free reach-text box yet,
but yet I can handle with much lower-level ones, until I find a good free
reach-text box tool
(someone know any ?)

For Question 4:
dorayme has answered (scrolling = "auto").

Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2008
Mr. X. wrote:

> I have found answers to my questions ...
>
> Thanks, anyway.
>
> For frames, for my opinion, it does some arrangemants on what you do, even
> of its complication.
> It also compitable for all browsers (netscape, IE for all versions, and more
> ...)
> When you know how using it - it can be proffitable.
>
> I didn't mean to open a useless argument. If someone doesn't know, so he/she
> shouldn't answer.


This group is for discussion; it's not a help desk. Discussion will be
what discussion will be. The alt.html Refund Manager's name is Helen
Waite.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2008
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> This group is for discussion; it's not a help desk. Discussion will
>> be what discussion will be. The alt.html Refund Manager's name is
>> Helen Waite.

>
> Who is represented by the law firm of Dooey, Cheetham & Howe.


There used to be a real law firm in Camp Hill, PA named
Blank & Wallet

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2008
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Mr. X. wrote:
>>
>>> I have found answers to my questions ...
>>>
>>> Thanks, anyway.
>>>
>>> For frames, for my opinion, it does some arrangemants on what you do, even
>>> of its complication.
>>> It also compitable for all browsers (netscape, IE for all versions, and more
>>> ...)
>>> When you know how using it - it can be proffitable.
>>>
>>> I didn't mean to open a useless argument. If someone doesn't know, so he/she
>>> shouldn't answer.

>>
>> This group is for discussion; it's not a help desk. Discussion will be
>> what discussion will be. The alt.html Refund Manager's name is Helen
>> Waite.

>
> Who is represented by the law firm of Dooey, Cheetham & Howe.


No, actually he can go straight to Helen Waite.

--
Blinky T. "that's the gag, see <g>" Shark

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SetAuthCookie works some times and fails some times? =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?= ASP .Net 0 03-23-2006 09:24 PM
How can I restrict that the some ID can only login once in the some time ad ASP .Net 2 08-12-2005 09:14 PM
Need some help for some perl homework.... Perl 0 02-25-2004 01:45 AM
Forms Authentication question: How to have some pages open and some requiring forms authentication Eric ASP .Net 2 02-13-2004 02:14 PM
Some questions regarding 070-305 and hopefully some right answers. Needs correction... wink, wink ;-) Daniel Walzenbach MCSD 1 11-10-2003 12:25 AM



Advertisments