Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > problem with WPA - please help

Reply
Thread Tools

problem with WPA - please help

 
 
Cyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
with AP650+ card)

All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
every time to gain access.

With WEP encription there was no problem at all.

Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
it?

Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
=ClkD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jerry Peterson[MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software to
establish your wireless connection settings?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
> with AP650+ card)
>
> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
> every time to gain access.
>
> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>
> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
>
> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
> =ClkD
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I'm not very sure rigth now, but I think I've tried both.
Whitch should I use better?

Thanks again


"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
>> with AP650+ card)
>>
>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
>> every time to gain access.
>>
>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>
>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>> it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>
>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>> =ClkD
>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>

>


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQmdZVJOVqpTGyIymEQI7FgCfaV1n7GPTWAG+4bN/vBb6M297rXEAn3HN
IPsBhu6DnS3sMeLe4Dm35aOT
=jePx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
Cyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:

First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
expected.

Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
but I think so)
All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
reopen session in Windows)

After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
too easily.

Thanks again for your attention.



"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
>> with AP650+ card)
>>
>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
>> every time to gain access.
>>
>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>
>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>> it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>
>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>> =ClkD
>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>

>


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
=lbG5
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Bernstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005
Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest ones
(v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then your adapters
may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This however seems unlikely as
the D-Link AP, in the same series, is WPA capable. If the latest adapter
drivers do not have WPA you should telephone D-Link and ask the question -
why not?

Mike Bernstein

"Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>
> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
> expected.
>
> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
> but I think so)
> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
> reopen session in Windows)
>
> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
> too easily.
>
> Thanks again for your attention.
>
>
>
> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
> mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>
>> --
>> Jerry Peterson
>> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>
>>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
>>> with AP650+ card)
>>>
>>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
>>> every time to gain access.
>>>
>>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>>
>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>
>>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>>> =ClkD
>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>

>>

>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
>
> iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
> 5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
> =lbG5
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Cyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
service and ask them what is wrong.

Thanks again for your help.


"Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
el mensaje news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
>> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>>
>> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
>> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
>> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
>> expected.
>>
>> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
>> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
>> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
>> but I think so)
>> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
>> reopen session in Windows)
>>
>> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
>> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
>> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
>> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
>> too easily.
>>
>> Thanks again for your attention.
>>
>>
>>
>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
>> mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jerry Peterson
>>> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>>>
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>
>>>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>>>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
>>>> with AP650+ card)
>>>>
>>>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>>>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
>>>> every time to gain access.
>>>>
>>>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>>>
>>>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>>>> it?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>
>>>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>>>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>>>> =ClkD
>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>
>>>

>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>
>> iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
>> 5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
>> =lbG5
>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>

>


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQmfHrZOVqpTGyIymEQKUHQCgsXpe5kyPi/Rw8CU/4BysMYXLMEcAoNQN
YAARIQWHv9E/TFOo6iBSAgR+
=8SF6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
TW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2005
The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't use WPA. WPA
can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices. To use WPA you will
need to use a different and newer card.
Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards available and
what they are capable of.
Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.

"Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is that, as I
> thought, there is no WPA option available to choose in the D-Link DWL 520+
> wireless client (see atached image), despite it is in the DWL900AP+ acces
> point.
>
> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
>
> Thanks again
>
>
> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
>> Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
>> again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
>> yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
>> service and ask them what is wrong.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help.
>>
>>
>> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
>> el mensaje news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
>>> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
>>> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
>>> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
>>> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
>>> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
>>>
>>> Mike Bernstein
>>>
>>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>
>>>> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
>>>> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>>>>
>>>> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
>>>> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
>>>> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
>>>> expected.
>>>>
>>>> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
>>>> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
>>>> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
>>>> but I think so)
>>>> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
>>>> reopen session in Windows)
>>>>
>>>> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
>>>> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
>>>> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
>>>> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
>>>> too easily.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks again for your attention.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
>>>> mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>>>>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Jerry Peterson
>>>>> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>>>>>
>>>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>>>> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>>>>>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
>>>>>> with AP650+ card)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>>>>>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
>>>>>> every time to gain access.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>>>>>> it?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>>>
>>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>>>>>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>>>>>> =ClkD
>>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>
>>>> iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
>>>> 5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
>>>> =lbG5
>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>
>>>

>>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>
>> iQA/AwUBQmfHrZOVqpTGyIymEQKUHQCgsXpe5kyPi/Rw8CU/4BysMYXLMEcAoNQN
>> YAARIQWHv9E/TFOo6iBSAgR+
>> =8SF6
>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>
>>

>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Bernstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2005
That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense that the
DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b only.

"TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't use WPA.
> WPA can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices. To use WPA you
> will need to use a different and newer card.
> Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards available and
> what they are capable of.
> Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
> Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.
>
> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is that, as I
>> thought, there is no WPA option available to choose in the D-Link DWL
>> 520+ wireless client (see atached image), despite it is in the DWL900AP+
>> acces point.
>>
>> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>>
>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>
>>> So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
>>> Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
>>> again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
>>> yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
>>> service and ask them what is wrong.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your help.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
>>> el mensaje news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
>>>> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
>>>> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
>>>> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
>>>> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
>>>> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
>>>>
>>>> Mike Bernstein
>>>>
>>>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>
>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>>
>>>>> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
>>>>> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>>>>>
>>>>> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
>>>>> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
>>>>> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
>>>>> expected.
>>>>>
>>>>> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
>>>>> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
>>>>> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
>>>>> but I think so)
>>>>> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
>>>>> reopen session in Windows)
>>>>>
>>>>> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
>>>>> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
>>>>> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
>>>>> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
>>>>> too easily.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks again for your attention.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
>>>>> mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>>>>>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Jerry Peterson
>>>>>> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>>>>> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>>>>>>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and notebook
>>>>>>> with AP650+ card)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>>>>>>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase again
>>>>>>> every time to gain access.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>>>>>>> it?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>>>>>>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>>>>>>> =ClkD
>>>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>>
>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
>>>>> 5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
>>>>> =lbG5
>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>
>>> iQA/AwUBQmfHrZOVqpTGyIymEQKUHQCgsXpe5kyPi/Rw8CU/4BysMYXLMEcAoNQN
>>> YAARIQWHv9E/TFOo6iBSAgR+
>>> =8SF6
>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Cyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2005

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Thanks everybody for your opinions.

The only think I can't understand is why the WPA encryption WORKS
when I configure the windows XP SP2 wireless client if you say that
the wireless adaptor doesn't have this capability. It works until I
reboot the computer and then it keeps on working if I enter the
passphrase again after rebooting. I don't understand either why the
acces point of the same series has WPA capability and the adaptors
don't.

So, I'm not obviously an expert but this not make sense. If something
doesn't work, it just doesn't.


I'm not having an answer form D-Link at the moment. I'll tell you
when I had.


Some more ideas? Thanks for all.




"Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
el mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense
> that the DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b
> only.
>
> "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't
>> use WPA. WPA can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices.
>> To use WPA you will need to use a different and newer card.
>> Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards
>> available and what they are capable of.
>> Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
>> Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.
>>
>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is
>>> that, as I thought, there is no WPA option available to choose
>>> in the D-Link DWL 520+ wireless client (see atached image),
>>> despite it is in the DWL900AP+ acces point.
>>>
>>> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>
>>>
>>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>
>>>> So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
>>>> Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
>>>> again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
>>>> yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
>>>> service and ask them what is wrong.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks again for your help.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
>>>> el mensaje news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
>>>>> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
>>>>> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
>>>>> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
>>>>> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
>>>>> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
>>>>>
>>>>> Mike Bernstein
>>>>>
>>>>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
>>>>>> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
>>>>>> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
>>>>>> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
>>>>>> expected.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
>>>>>> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
>>>>>> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
>>>>>> but I think so)
>>>>>> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
>>>>>> reopen session in Windows)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
>>>>>> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
>>>>>> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
>>>>>> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
>>>>>> too easily.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks again for your attention.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
>>>>>> mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>>>>>>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> Jerry Peterson
>>>>>>> Windows Network Services - Wireless
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>>>>>> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
>>>>>>>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and
>>>>>>>> notebook
>>>>>>>> with AP650+ card)
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
>>>>>>>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase
>>>>>>>> again
>>>>>>>> every time to gain access.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
>>>>>>>> it?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
>>>>>>>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
>>>>>>>> =ClkD
>>>>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>>>
>>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
>>>>>> 5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
>>>>>> =lbG5
>>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
>>>>
>>>> iQA/AwUBQmfHrZOVqpTGyIymEQKUHQCgsXpe5kyPi/Rw8CU/4BysMYXLMEcAoNQN
>>>> YAARIQWHv9E/TFOo6iBSAgR+
>>>> =8SF6
>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQmkScZOVqpTGyIymEQJaTACdEXpBO26o43qDWvPHmNSayY LwMLkAoJQ0
Afx0Qp8n3u3gSIZvfvSV4JBU
=JxNJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?R2VyYXJkIEhlcm1hbnM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2005
Have you try only wpa and not wep configuration.
At my place its works not together.
I disable the wep function on the router and the wpa works.

"Cyber" wrote:

>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Thanks everybody for your opinions.
>
> The only think I can't understand is why the WPA encryption WORKS
> when I configure the windows XP SP2 wireless client if you say that
> the wireless adaptor doesn't have this capability. It works until I
> reboot the computer and then it keeps on working if I enter the
> passphrase again after rebooting. I don't understand either why the
> acces point of the same series has WPA capability and the adaptors
> don't.
>
> So, I'm not obviously an expert but this not make sense. If something
> doesn't work, it just doesn't.
>
>
> I'm not having an answer form D-Link at the moment. I'll tell you
> when I had.
>
>
> Some more ideas? Thanks for all.
>
>
>
>
> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
> el mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense
> > that the DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b
> > only.
> >
> > "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't
> >> use WPA. WPA can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices.
> >> To use WPA you will need to use a different and newer card.
> >> Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards
> >> available and what they are capable of.
> >> Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
> >> Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.
> >>
> >> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is
> >>> that, as I thought, there is no WPA option available to choose
> >>> in the D-Link DWL 520+ wireless client (see atached image),
> >>> despite it is in the DWL900AP+ acces point.
> >>>
> >>> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks again
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> >>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>
> >>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >>>> Hash: SHA1
> >>>>
> >>>> So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
> >>>> Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
> >>>> again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
> >>>> yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
> >>>> service and ask them what is wrong.
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks again for your help.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en
> >>>> el mensaje news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
> >>>>> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
> >>>>> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
> >>>>> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
> >>>>> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
> >>>>> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Mike Bernstein
> >>>>>
> >>>>> "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >>>>>> Hash: SHA1
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
> >>>>>> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
> >>>>>> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
> >>>>>> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
> >>>>>> expected.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
> >>>>>> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
> >>>>>> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
> >>>>>> but I think so)
> >>>>>> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
> >>>>>> reopen session in Windows)
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
> >>>>>> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
> >>>>>> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
> >>>>>> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
> >>>>>> too easily.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Thanks again for your attention.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
> >>>>>> mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>>>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
> >>>>>>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>> Jerry Peterson
> >>>>>>> Windows Network Services - Wireless
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> >>>>>>> rights. "Cyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >>>>>>>> Hash: SHA1
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> I've been triying to set WPA in my wireless net (Windows XP SP2 on
> >>>>>>>> Desktop PC with Dlynk 520+ adapter, AP900+ Acces point, and
> >>>>>>>> notebook
> >>>>>>>> with AP650+ card)
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> All seem to be right at the begining, but after rebooting the
> >>>>>>>> conection to the net is lost and I have to enter de passphrase
> >>>>>>>> again
> >>>>>>>> every time to gain access.
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> With WEP encription there was no problem at all.
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> Can someone tell me if this is normal and, if not, how can I solve
> >>>>>>>> it?
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> Thanks in advance and please forgive my bad inglish.
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >>>>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmY5pZOVqpTGyIymEQIQhQCg75VcO4/IMCYUyB2kg47+1i4mFk0AoI6E
> >>>>>>>> tpP2OxXNRRv5vO5WsabSN2c/
> >>>>>>>> =ClkD
> >>>>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >>>>>> Version: PGP 8.1
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> iQA/AwUBQmdpJZOVqpTGyIymEQKJ6ACeIm0wyg9RUmW56/J/AVvpm3MAXfEAn1Uk
> >>>>>> 5EgiHO1rHFok/glV10GrOV1c
> >>>>>> =lbG5
> >>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >>>> Version: PGP 8.1
> >>>>
> >>>> iQA/AwUBQmfHrZOVqpTGyIymEQKUHQCgsXpe5kyPi/Rw8CU/4BysMYXLMEcAoNQN
> >>>> YAARIQWHv9E/TFOo6iBSAgR+
> >>>> =8SF6
> >>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>

> >

>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
>
> iQA/AwUBQmkScZOVqpTGyIymEQJaTACdEXpBO26o43qDWvPHmNSayY LwMLkAoJQ0
> Afx0Qp8n3u3gSIZvfvSV4JBU
> =JxNJ
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco WLC (WPA-TKIP) & iPad's - WPA MIC Error b_rizza Cisco 0 05-21-2010 05:52 AM
WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products) Mike Webb Wireless Networking 6 02-13-2008 07:07 PM
WPA-PSK & WPA Dave Cox Wireless Networking 4 02-15-2006 10:11 PM
LEAP (or WPA-Ent) and WPA-PSK to work on a single 1200AP??? hax3 Cisco 10 10-05-2005 07:19 PM
Re: Using DLink DWL-G520+ with Q815485 but no WPA-PSK or any WPA? R.H. Wireless Networking 0 06-19-2004 05:51 AM



Advertisments