Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > A Good Free Compiler

A Good Free Compiler

kwikius

On Sep 3, 12:50 am, Gennaro Prota <gennaro/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> kwikius wrote:
>
> > Best way to learn C++ is to try writing a compiler for it yourself

> > I did ...

> You did try, or you did write?

Sadly an unfinished masterpiece that one. Especially since it was
written using VC++6

regards
Andy Little

hemu

Check Dev C++ IDE

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

Jorgen Grahn

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:30:26 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2 Sep, 13:41, (E-Mail Removed) (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>> > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
>> > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

>> GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
>> C++, Objective-C and some other languages).
>>
>> You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
>> It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free fromhttp://www.apple.com).
>>
>> > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

>> Lucky guy! *GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE. *

They're not that closely related. I don't think emacs is aware of gcc
at all.

>> > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

>> Of course. *Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.

Note that you never call ld directly, you tell g++ to perform a
linking step.

> I've installed Cygwin and g++ works on the command prompt. Emacs also
> works on the Command Prompt, but I'd like a nice GUI app to work
> within. Any advice?

I would have chosen the Mac for learning C++, but ...

On Windows, don't bother with the Cygwin version of emacs. There is
a pure Windows version available, which is as nice as the Unix/X11
version.

Unfortunately, you need a good editor like Emacs, but Emacs takes time
and effort to make the most of. As a very, very quick first tip,
add this to your ~/.emacs:

(setq default-tab-width
(c-set-style "k&r")
(setq c-basic-offset 4)
(line-number-mode 't)
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(global-font-lock-mode)
(global-set-key [C-tab] 'dabbrev-expand)

I could have pointed you to some Windows-only IDE, but Emacs is
available *everywhere*, useful for *all* text editing, and will
probably still exist when we are all dead. Whatever you learn now
will still be useful in twenty years.

/Jorgen