Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > And the new kid on the block...

And the new kid on the block...

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-09-02, dorayme wrote:
> In article <88dbf$48bdbd01$cef88ba3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-09-02, dorayme wrote:

>> > I noticed that as I clicked the next button to turn the pages, it
>> > skipped a page as often as not and I had to go back (I *had* to go back
>> > because I love reading comics)

>> I had to increase the size to make it readable and therefore had
>> to scroll right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down
>> in order to read a page.

> Ideally, they should have floated the panels in div boxes, made the text
> bigger, even used that SVG graphics...

Ideally, they should have used text for text and images for
illustration.

Author:

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 12:28*pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
> > > you have not read it yet:http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

> > * * *Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
> > * * *readable format?

> Probably. I do agree I would have liked to have seen it in a non comic
> book format. It is almost insulting to anyone with a briain.

So *that* is why it so appealed to me.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <88dbf$48bdbd01$cef88ba3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2008-09-02, dorayme wrote:
> > In article <d2edb$48bd69a3$cef88ba3$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
> >> readable format?

> > I noticed that as I clicked the next button to turn the pages, it
> > skipped a page as often as not and I had to go back (I *had* to go back
> > because I love reading comics)

> I had to increase the size to make it readable and therefore had
> to scroll right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down
> in order to read a page.

Ideally, they should have floated the panels in div boxes, made the text
bigger, even used that SVG graphics...

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-

> So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

I had problems finding it because of some javascript errors on the main
download page, and then found it at
[http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html].

True, it's in beta, but, for me, it will never replace Opera. I am too
fond of mouse gestures, and it only offered to import bookmarks from
Firefox and IE - everything I have is in Opera, and I don't think I'm
going to want to take the time to import them manually - besides, I love
Opera's ability to synch bookmarks across computers (I have a computer
at work, and one at home).

It seemed to be pretty fast, but it told me I had to download Adobe PDF
for reading a PDF document, even though I have Foxit Reader as my
default reader, and Adobe installed as well. It does not have a way to
tell it that you want certain file types not opened in a browser, for
example, PDF documents.

It's nice to know that it passed the Acid2 test. It seems to really
want a background image/color for the HTML element as well, and it
leaves a pretty big area white if that information is missing. Examples:
[http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelive.jpg] (without HTML
element) and [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelocal.jpg]
(with HTML element). I also find it interesting that it defaults to
white, as my window background color is pale blue - not white.

The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
while the document name is almost greyed out - this could be a real
issue for persons with low vision problems.

That's it for now... back to work.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

+mrcakey

This is great fun!

It's like marking teacher's homework.

Minus 20 points for being COMPLETELY inaccessible.

+mrcakey

+mrcakey

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9B0DC69494235arbpenyahoocom@69.16.185.247. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
> (E-Mail Removed):

<snip>

> The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
> while the document name is almost greyed out - this could be a real
> issue for persons with low vision problems.

IE8 was doing that in beta1 as well.

Opera does have an export bookmarks option if you really wanted. Not that
you're planning to migrate, but it would be there if you needed it.

+mrcakey

201miles@googlemail.com

On Sep 3, 3:31*am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

> I had problems finding it because of some javascript errors on the main
> download page, and then found it at
> [http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html].
>
> True, it's in beta, but, for me, it will never replace Opera. *I am too
> fond of mouse gestures, and it only offered to import bookmarks from
> Firefox and IE - everything I have is in Opera, and I don't think I'm
> going to want to take the time to import them manually - besides, I love
> Opera's ability to synch bookmarks across computers (I have a computer
> at work, and one at home).
>
> It seemed to be pretty fast, but it told me I had to download Adobe PDF
> for reading a PDF document, even though I have Foxit Reader as my
> default reader, and Adobe installed as well. *It does not have a way to
> tell it that you want certain file types not opened in a browser, for
> example, PDF documents.
>
> It's nice to know that it passed the Acid2 test. *It seems to really
> want a background image/color for the HTML element as well, and it
> leaves a pretty big area white if that information is missing. Examples:
> [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelive.jpg] (without HTML
> element) and [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelocal.jpg]
> (with HTML element). *I also find it interesting that it defaults to
> white, as my window background color is pale blue - not white.
>
> The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
> while the document name is almost greyed out - this could be a real
> issue for persons with low vision problems.
>
> That's it for now... back to work.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

For some unknown reason Google has never supported Opera
Regards, Kenneth.

Travis Newbury

On Sep 3, 3:49*am, "+mrcakey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Minus 20 points for being COMPLETELY inaccessible.

Jeeze what a bunch of whiny little kids. Every one of you could have
read it if you wanted to. You might have been slightly inconvenienced
for a few minutes, but you could have read it if you wanted to. So
those that know how to "not read it" can read it, and those that don't
know how to "not read it" can read it. The format worked for
everyone. A small groups may have been slightly inconvenienced for a
few minutes. So what.

Personally, I think it fails because it will turn away the audience
it is obviously geared for, that is a more technical crowd, who will
feel talked down to with the comic book format.

--
Travis
Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

Bergamot

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
>> So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

> It does not have a way to
> tell it that you want certain file types not opened in a browser, for
> example, PDF documents.

I wouldn't put all the blame on the browser for that. It should be a
setting in the plug-in app. I know the Adobe Reader has such a setting
and it works marvelously in gecko browsers. Chrome, however, decides to
automatically download a pdf instead. It should ask me what to do. Maybe
it will in the next beta version.

> It seems to really
> want a background image/color for the HTML element as well, and it
> leaves a pretty big area white if that information is missing. Examples:
> [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelive.jpg]

FYI, I get the same result on that page in Seamonkey. That space at the
top of the page is actually the top margin of the h1 element. It's
related to collapsing margins, not the HTML element.

> I also find it interesting that it defaults to
> white, as my window background color is pale blue - not white.

Chrome isn't the only browser that doesn't use system settings or native
widgets. Windows Safari certainly doesn't, for anything. Gecko does for
some things, not for others. Opera doesn't for any form controls, at least.

> The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
> while the document name is almost greyed out

That is indeed odd.

--
Berg

Bergamot

Ben C wrote:
> On 2008-09-03, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> [...]
>>> The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
>>> while the document name is almost greyed out

>> That is indeed odd.

> So the idea is you draw the user's attention to the domain name so they
> are more likely to notice if it's not www.barclays.co.uk or whatever it
> should be.

I didn't think of it that way. It sort of makes sense, but I hope it
will be a feature the user can disable if they choose.

--
Berg

New releases: Blade: The Series, Pride Of The Yankees & Heartbreak Kid: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 12-11-2007 09:04 AM
New Kid in the Block ashu C++ 3 10-17-2005 03:16 PM
Has a new Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid come out? Zontar DVD Video 1 05-11-2004 09:33 PM
Has a new Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid come out? Zontar DVD Video 0 05-11-2004 08:41 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE, HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET: THE COMPLETE SEASONS 1 AND 2, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 08-04-2003 09:05 AM

Advertisments