Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > D-Link access points - No DNS for newer XP laptops?

D-Link access points - No DNS for newer XP laptops?

mwalsh@smad.com

We have an open public wireless network in our building for visitors.
It's a bit cheezy - an older model Microsoft wireless G router plugged
directly into our cable modem, with several D-Link DWL G700AP access
points throughout the building connected to it and configured to relay
DHCP provided IP addresses and DNS information to clients - but it's
always been adequate.

Last week we had a meeting in which four visitors (out of how many
using laptops, I don't know)came to me able to get IP addresses but
not able to get DNS. In each instance these were laptops under a
couple of years old but still running XP and the users insisted that
there was nothing configured that would impede connectivity. I ended
up installing a new wireless network just for the conference room as
the quickest solution to the problem and, sure enough, they had no
problems connecting to it.

Our in house laptops, which are predominantly Dell D600 and D610
models around 4 years old, can all connect to this old setup without
any issues and I bought my parents a Toshiba laptop running Vista last
year and I don't remember any issues with it either, though I have a
wired connection to that router in my office so I may not have tried
to use wireless (but I can't imagine that being the case).

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

smlunatick

On Aug 31, 6:46*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> We have an open public wireless network in our building for visitors.
> It's a bit cheezy - an older model Microsoft wireless G router plugged
> directly into our cable modem, with several D-Link DWL G700AP access
> points throughout the building connected to it and configured to relay
> DHCP provided IP addresses and DNS information to clients - but it's
> always been adequate.
>
> Last week we had a meeting in which four visitors (out of how many
> using laptops, I don't know)came to me able to get IP addresses but
> not able to get DNS. In each instance these were laptops under a
> couple of years old but still running XP and the users insisted that
> there was nothing configured that would impede connectivity. I ended
> up installing a new wireless network just for the conference room as
> the quickest solution to the problem and, sure enough, they had no
> problems connecting to it.
>
> Our in house laptops, which are predominantly Dell D600 and D610
> models around 4 years old, can all connect to this old setup without
> any issues and I bought my parents a Toshiba laptop running Vista last
> year and I don't remember any issues with it either, though I have a
> wired connection to that router in my office so I may not have tried
> to use wireless (but I can't imagine that being the case).
>
> Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Several newer laptops can be delivered with newer Intel Centrino based
wireless adapters. One model (Intel Wireless WiFi 4965AGN) have
difficulties to connect with wireless routers. The recommended
wireless set up for these adapters is WPA2-AES which might not always
be available.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
What exactly you mean by not getting DNS? I.e. which DNS you expect them to
get.
Did you check how these laptops TCP/IPs are configured as compared to your
Laptops that does work with the system?
Might be a good time to "UnCheeze" the Wireless hardware and install some
thing more current.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...