Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Developing under Ubuntu

Developing under Ubuntu

Andrew Thompson

I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
about Ubuntu.

Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
Ubuntu?

Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?

(Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)

* It will be a relatively standard unit, using an Intel (32 bit) dual
core CPU, probably on an ASUS P5K motherboard.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Claudio Nieder

Hi,

> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
you can use them.

Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

claudio
--
Claudio Nieder, Talweg 6, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +4179 357 6743,
www.claudio.ch

Andrew Thompson

On Aug 31, 9:06*pm, Claudio Nieder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

> Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
> you can use them.

Thanks for confirming.

> Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
> from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

I had been meaning to try Eclipse or Netbeans again
soon, but an IDE was not a vital part of my dev.
software on Win. OTOH. A new, more powerful,
machine is a damn fine excuse for trying out the
latest versions of an IDE or two.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Lionel

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
> about Ubuntu.
>
> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
> Ubuntu?
>
> Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?
>
> (Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
> is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)

Probably not the right group for the question, but anyway.

You won't have any trouble on Ubuntu, just be careful that if you use
the packaged JDK that it is the sun version, it should say either in the
documentation in Synaptic, or as part of the package name.

Ant, you should know is also X-platform, Netbeans works as in Windows etc.

I use Mandriva only at home, and all of what you want to do runs
perfectly. As much hype as Ubuntu gets, I still find Mandriva more
polished, I do however prefer the Debian package management.

Lionel.

Qu0ll

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
> about Ubuntu.
>
> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
> Ubuntu?
>
> Are there other recommendations for OS' for developing Java?
>
> (Besides Java development, it would be handy to have an OS that
> is very 'media friendly' - but I guess/hope most OS' are, these days.)
>
> * It will be a relatively standard unit, using an Intel (32 bit) dual
> core CPU, probably on an ASUS P5K motherboard.

Andrew,

I run Ubuntu 8.04 under VMware on my Vista machine and have found no
problems using JDK 6 Update 10 downloaded from Sun. The only real
difference between the Vista OS and Ubuntu appears to be that fonts look
nicer under Vista but my apps are working perfectly unchanged on Ubuntu
other than that. Personally, I love being able to drop into a decent
command line whenever required and having files copy in a timely fashion.

Having said that, IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

Andrew Thompson

On Aug 31, 9:53*pm, "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ...IMHO Fedora 9 is a better desktop Linux than Ubuntu.

What advantages do you see Fedora 9 having over Ubuntu?

And to Lionel (sorry to drag this even further OT!),
similar question* for Mandriva (to be honest, I was
originally asking this question thinking Ubuntu, SuSE
or RedHat would be the 'winner' but had not considered
Fedora and had never heard of Mandriva till this moment).

I got from your post that Mandriva ..
- runs perfectly (which I read as robust and well engineered)
- is more polished.
* Can you name a couple of (any) little things that
led you to the conclusion that Mandriva was more polished?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Arne Vajhj

Pete Mendeleev wrote:
> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
> about Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a very kooky lemon distro these evenings.

> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
> Ubuntu?

Yes. Just make faggy not to use GCJ !

Arne

Buchanan: "The War Party may have gotten its war," he writes.
"... In a rare moment in U.S. journalism, Tim Russert put
this question directly to Richard Perle [of PNAC]:

'Can you assure American viewers ...
that we're in this situation against Saddam Hussein
and his removal for American security interests?
And what would be the link in terms of Israel?'

Buchanan: "We charge that a cabal of polemicists and
public officials seek to ensnare our country in a series
of wars that are not in America's interests. We charge
them with colluding with Israel to ignite those wars
and destroy the Oslo Accords."

This is just a reminder.
It is not an emergency yet.
Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

Arne Vajhøj

Claudio Nieder wrote:
>> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

> Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
> you can use them.
>
> Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
> from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

Of it has to be heartless open symbol then OpenJDK !

Arne

"President Musharraf, he's still tight with us on the war
against terror, and that's what I appreciate.

He's a -- he understands that we've got to keep al-Qaida
on the run, and that by keeping him on the run, it's more
likely we will bring him to justice."

--- Adolph Bush,
Ruch, Ore., Aug. 22, 2002 (Thanks to Scott Miller.)

Arne Vajhj

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> I am about to gain a new box*, and am (almost) determined
> never to infest it with anything Microsoft. As such, I am looking
> at Linux based options for an OS, and have heard good things
> about Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a very popular desktop distro these days.

> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on
> Ubuntu?

Yes. Just make sure not to use GCJ !

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Claudio Nieder wrote:
>> Do the Java tools (SDK, and beyond that, Ant) work OK on Ubuntu?

> Yes. No problem. SDK etc. are already available as Ubuntu packages and
> you can use them.
>
> Or you can do it, like I do, and just fetch SDK from Sun website, eclipse
> from eclipse.org etc. and "install" it yourself.

Of it has to be true open source then OpenJDK !

Arne