Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Looking for that special Java IDE...

Looking for that special Java IDE...

Marcio

Hey guys!!
I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
now
So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
full of resources
I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
capabilities???

THANK YOU!!
Mßrcio Pereira

Arne Vajh°j

Marcio wrote:
> I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
> now
> So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
> full of resources
> I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
> stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
> no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
> SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
> That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
> capabilities???

With todays computers then a Java IDE in Java is OK.

I am fundamentally an Eclipse guy, but since you want a
GUI builder, then I will suggest NetBeans anyway.

Arne

Mike Schilling

Peter Duniho wrote:
> My understanding is that NetBeans is also written in Java, and lots
> of
> people swear by it.

s/by/at/

Arne Vajh├Şj

Peter Duniho wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:00:53 -0700, Marcio <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
>> stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
>> no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
>> SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
>> That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
>> capabilities???

> I think your prejudice against IDEs written in Java is unfounded. I use
> Eclipse and it nearly always works great for me (very, VERY rarely I
> find myself waiting on it...it even has a "this operation timed out"
> error message...and I don't know what that's all about, but it's not a
> bug that shows up often enough for me to worry about it).

Eclipse is pretty fast when running.

Startup time is a bit heavy though.

But that just mean that one keeps it open all day.

Arne

Marcio

ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't
it be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that
is, in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA
software)??
So, I really think that building a JAVA IDE in C (or whatever can be
as fast) is a good idea, although you won't be able to develop in
other OS's... but for my case, I plan to develop under Windows only so
no problem about that.
Anywayz, so maybe we can shift focus to the following:

- What are the JAVA IDEs written in C (with GUI building or not)?
- Which is more lightweight: Eclipse or NetBeans?

You know, I'm the lightweight kinda guy (I use winamp lite for
instance, heehee...) and I have this 3.2mhz >Celeron< machine with
750mb or RAM... It goes pretty well with the constant tuning I give
it, but I got really MAD when I tried IntelliJ and I had this little
delay before the IDE menus (swing I think) would open and all...

I tried JBuilder in the past and - oh my!
Maybe I should just take some Yoga training to work my patience a
bit

tia
marcio

On 30 ago, 22:25, "Peter Duniho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:00:53 -0700, Marcio <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
> > stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
> > no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
> > SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
> > That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
> > capabilities???

> I think your prejudice against IDEs written in Java is unfounded. I use
> Eclipse and it nearly always works great for me (very, VERY rarely I find
> myself waiting on it...it even has a "this operation timed out" error
> message...and I don't know what that's all about, but it's not a bug that
> shows up often enough for me to worry about it).
>
> My understanding is that NetBeans is also written in Java, and lots of
> people swear by it.
>
> And frankly, I find it odd that someone wanting to write Java code would
> be prejudiced against applications written in Java. That seems
> so...well...wrong.
>
> So: I recommend that rather than refusing to use an IDE just because it's
> written in Java, check out what Eclipse and NetBeans have to offer. As
> near as I can tell, they are the mainstream IDEs, which mean they will
> have the best user support, best update schedule, and best reliability
> (speaking for Eclipse, I can say that except for that one very rare issue
> I mentioned, it works perfectly all the time).
>
> If you have checked out Eclipse and NetBeans both and have found them
> unsuitable, then your request for suggestions should not only state that,
> but also should include very specific details as to _why_ you don't like
> Eclipse or NetBeans so that people suggesting alternatives can provide
> more useful information.
>
> Pete

Mike Schilling

Peter Duniho wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:30:07 -0700, Mike Schilling
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Peter Duniho wrote:
>>> My understanding is that NetBeans is also written in Java, and
>>> lots
>>> of people swear by it.

>> s/by/at/

> Probably a bit of both.
>
> I admit, not having used it myself, I can't defend or critique it.
> just know it's in broad usage, which just doesn't happen to things
> that are completely useless.

Never used Windows?

Actually, my disdain for NetBeans goes back to the versions from 2001
or so. I have heard that it's improved.

Mike Schilling

Marcio wrote:
> ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
> avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
> reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
> drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

Only one who's not familiar with modern JVMs, which are neither
stricrtly interpreted nor low speed.

Marcio

hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

Marcio wrote:
> ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
> avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
> reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
> drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

A Java programmer would know that Java is not interpreted and has not
been since sometimes back in the 1990's.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

Marcio wrote:
> On 30 ago, 23:11, "Mike Schilling" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Marcio wrote:
>>> ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
>>> avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
>>> reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
>>> drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

>> Only one who's not familiar with modern JVMs, which are neither
>> stricrtly interpreted nor low speed.

> hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
> written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

It invalidates all your arguments.

Whether the conclusion is true or not is another question.

But the byte code versus native code will not make it slower.

Arne