Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > PHP is BASIC?

PHP is BASIC?

richard

Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.

With my extensive background in BASIC, I believe I could incorporate
PHP in my site and use it the same way I would BASIC on my PC.

As I know a lot of people just don't like javascript, the menu I'm
working on now can't be used unless JS is turned on. So I believe the
same thing could be served better with PHP. Since PHP is server side,
browsers wouldn't know the difference. I may even have a bit more
flexibility with it.

Any one know of any PHP servers for the PC {vista} outside of wamp?

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:
> Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
> PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
> With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.

Cannot fathom how you came to that conclusion. It has many "Perl"-ish
functions and syntax, not BASIC at all.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Safalra (Stephen Morley)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:21:00 -0700, Jim Moe wrote:
> > On 08/30/08 12:32 pm, richard wrote:
> >> Ive been looking around at some sites for information on understanding
> >> PHP. I've come to the conclusion that PHP is basically BASIC.
> >> With quite a few more features tossed in purely for the internet.
> >>

> > They are the same in that they are interpreted languages, rather than
> > compiled.

> <pedantic>Actually, there are several compiled versions of BASIC - some
> such as Blitz BASIC only had a compiler and no interpreter. Of course,
> there are also PHP compilers available...</pedantic>
>

> > PHP = PHP Hypertext Processor. So, yes, it has a number of unique
> > features for working in an web environment. It is more like the C language
> > than perl.

> It has a bit of everything thrown in - just look at the function names. [1]
> Unfortunately in many cases it's the worst bits of everything.
>

> [1] Aaron Crane wrote "Function names (and semantics) have been liberally
> borrowed from Unix system calls (unlink), the C standard library (strcspn),
> and Perl (split), among other places. Some function names have multiple
> words separated by underscores (str_replace); others have words squashed
> together (strtoupper). Some functions have aliases, like disk_free_space
> and diskfreespace."

But, at the end of the day, who gives a monkey's? At least it *has* all
this functionality and ability to API to mysql, sqlite, etc etc.