Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cellular Broadband

Cellular Broadband

Paula ;)

Hi,

I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon's cellular
broadband for the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
speeds I'm getting with cellular broadband and intend to keep it, and
will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.

My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing the cellular broadband
aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible with cellular
aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.

I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
replace that connectoin with the cellular aircard on the laptop, all
while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
possible??

Thanks in advance!

Pavel A.

The "aircard" is a cellular modem. It cannot
connect between your two computers,
for this you'll need another pair of netcards:
wi-fi or wired.
Network Magic will support your local wi-fi network
as long as you're connected to the internet.

Regards,
--PA

Paula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
> and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
> to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
> satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
> plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon's cellular
> broadband for the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
> speeds I'm getting with cellular broadband and intend to keep it, and
> will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.
>
> My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing the cellular broadband
> aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
> itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
> the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
> shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible with cellular
> aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.
>
> I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
> replace that connectoin with the cellular aircard on the laptop, all
> while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
> possible??
>
> Thanks in advance!

Paula ;)

Netcards? I'll have to research those and see what they are.

I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
Magic. So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use the cellular
aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.

Thanks!
Paula

On Aug 30, 9:33*pm, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The "aircard" is acellularmodem. It cannot
> connect between your two computers,
> for this you'll need another pair of netcards:
> wi-fi or wired.
> Network Magic will support your local wi-fi network
> as long as you're connected to the internet.
>
> Regards,
> --PA
>

> Paula wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
> > and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
> > to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
> > satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
> > plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon'scellular
> >broadbandfor the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
> > speeds I'm getting withcellularbroadbandand intend to keep it, and
> > will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.

> > My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing thecellularbroadband
> > aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
> > itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
> > the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
> > shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible withcellular
> > aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.

> > I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
> > replace that connectoin with thecellularaircard on the laptop, all
> > while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
> > possible??

> > Thanks in advance!
> > P- Hide quoted text -

Lem

Paula wrote:
> Netcards? I'll have to research those and see what they are.
>
> I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
> connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
> Magic. So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
> internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use the cellular
> aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.
>
> Thanks!
> Paula

The easiest way to use a cellular aircard with a wireless network is to
get a wireless router that incorporates a slot that accepts the card.
See, for example only, http://tinyurl.com/54r2r9 (Linksys Verizon version)
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Paula ;)

On Sep 1, 3:34*pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> Paula wrote:
> > Netcards? *I'll have to research those and see what they are.

> > I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
> > connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
> > Magic. *So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
> > internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use thecellular
> > aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.

> > Thanks!
> > Paula

> The easiest way to use acellularaircard with a wireless network is to
> get a wireless router that incorporates a slot that accepts the card.
> See, for example only,http://tinyurl.com/54r2r9(Linksys Verizon version)
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
All I know is, the cellular speeds are lightning FAST compared to
satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

Thanks!
Paula

Phillip Windell

D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. I haven't
heard that this actually happened. Even if the router has USB ports it
doesn't mean it will work.

You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
your Cell Provider

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"Paula " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
All I know is, the cellular speeds are lightning FAST compared to
satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

Thanks!
Paula

Paula ;)

My router doesn't have a USB port. But swapping the aircard's another
option. I'll have to figure out whether it's easier (cheaper) to swap
the aircard or change the router.

Thanks!
Paula

On Sep 2, 12:16*pm, "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. *I haven't
> heard that this actually happened. *Even if the router has USB ports it
> doesn't mean it will work.
>
> You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
> your Cell Provider
>
> --
> Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
>
> "Paula " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
> I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
> I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
> aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
> doesn't look like it's for a USB card.
>
> I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
> All I know is, thecellularspeeds are lightning FAST compared to
> satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)
>
> Thanks!
> Paula

Lem

I think what you'll want to do is to swap your aircard (for a PC-Card
type) *and* get a new router that will work with the PC-Card aircard.
The router isn't cheap ($130 or so), but it'll do what you want.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Paula ;)

Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
only has a port for a network cable. Wait, does a wireless network
*need* to have an internet connection?

I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
*faster* laptop. The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. That's my best
option, I think!

I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
the desktop.

Thanks,
Paula

On Sep 2, 9:12*pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> I think what you'll want to do is to swap your aircard (for a PC-Card
> type) *and* get a new router that will work with the PC-Card aircard.
> The router isn't cheap ($130 or so), but it'll do what you want.
>

> Paula wrote:
> > My router doesn't have a USB port. *But swapping the aircard's another
> > option. *I'll have to figure out whether it's easier (cheaper) to swap
> > the aircard or change the router.

> > Thanks!
> > Paula

> > On Sep 2, 12:16 pm, "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. *I haven't
> >> heard that this actually happened. *Even if the router has USB ports it
> >> doesn't mean it will work.

> >> You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
> >> your Cell Provider

> >> --
> >> Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com

> >> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
> >> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> >> -----------------------------------------------------

> >> "Paula " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
> >> I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
> >> I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
> >> aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
> >> doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

> >> I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
> >> All I know is, thecellularspeeds are lightning FAST compared to
> >> satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

> >> Thanks!
> >> Paula

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

Lem

Paula wrote:
> Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
> only has a port for a network cable. Wait, does a wireless network
> *need* to have an internet connection?
>
> I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
> desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
> at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
> *faster* laptop. The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
> network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
> since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. That's my best
> option, I think!
>
> I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
> could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
> the desktop.
>
> Thanks,
> Paula

A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
if properly configured. If the local network happens to be connected to
the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
that Internet connection.

Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
No. But unless you want to share files or printers among local
computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
connection, there's not much point in having a local network.

Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
the router via wireless.

Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:

- remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
- use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,

and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
--
Lem -- MS-MVP