Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Comcast to Cap Data Transfers at 250 GB in Oct

Re: Comcast to Cap Data Transfers at 250 GB in Oct

Gordon

On 2008-08-30, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Carnations wrote:
>> Comcast to Cap Data Transfers at 250 GB in Oct

>> "" This is the same system we have in place today," Comcast wrote in an
>> amendment to its acceptable use policy. "The only difference is that we
>> will now provide a limit by which a customer may be contacted." The cable
>> provider insisted that 250 GB is "an extremely large amount of data, much
>> more than a typical residential customer uses on a monthly basis." ""
>>
>> Kinda makes broadband service here in NZ look rather pathetic don't ya
>> think?
>>

> Anyone who downloads that much data is obviously pirating anyway. That's
> about 8 gigs a day.

Once again Bobs your logic is flawed. You assume that one can download 8 GB
per day.

The point is, Comcast have raised the cap, bugger the bar, this has to be
good. Why should there be a cap?

A cap suggests that one can not download without the worry of bit hit either
in the wallet or bandwidth speed. Let us leave the matter of legal or
otherwise downloading out of this cap debaate, for one can download illegal
material with a cap.

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:00:15 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Gordon wrote:

>>> Anyone who downloads that much data is obviously pirating anyway. That's
>>> about 8 gigs a day.

>> Once again Bobs your logic is flawed. You assume that one can download 8 GB
>> per day.

>LOL, wake up. That's easily done. I've done it myself. I imagine people
>that use FTP for piracy can triple that.
>
>Think about it. On a 20/1 connection...that's about 1.8MB per second
>from a server with enough bandwidth and a client near the exchange.
>That's 108 megs a minute. Or 6.5 gigs PER HOUR. Even at a third of that
>speed...say 2 gigs an hour. That's 48 gigs PER DAY. Or 1.5TB PER MONTH.
>

>> The point is, Comcast have raised the cap, bugger the bar, this has to be
>> good. Why should there be a cap?

>Because pirates sit on FTP sites all day downloading 20 gigs a day.
>We're not talking about torrent users here. We're talking about hardcore
>pirates, which is what comcast is clearly targeting with such a cap.
>There's no way average people are going to suck down 8 gigs per day on
>average for legit use. Even with cretins like Puddle suggesting he
>watched BSG from a website. Big deal...even a high def version is only a
>gig. He'd have to watch 8 high def eps per day, EVERY DAY, for the
>ENTIRE MONTH to reach such a cap.

Wrong, an hour of 1080i HD content from TV3 on Freeview DVB-T is over
5 Gibytes. You do not get HD for 1 Gibyte per hour. Even SD takes
1.3 Gibytes per hour, as recorded off the air. There is a lot of
downloadable programming out there that is originally sourced from HD
transmissions, and says it is HD, but in fact has been compressed to
less than SD quality.

So 8 Gibytes is about 1.6 hours of HD programming. 250 Gibytes is 50
hours.

And, of course, 1080p HD is going to take much more, presumably about
double.

>> A cap suggests that one can not download without the worry of bit hit either
>> in the wallet or bandwidth speed. Let us leave the matter of legal or
>> otherwise downloading out of this cap debaate, for one can download illegal
>> material with a cap.
>>

>Because pirates that download a terrabyte of data are costing the ISP
>money. If everyone downloaded a terrabye a month on their asdl2 or cable
>connection....thr ISP would be brought to its knees. 250GB cap is a good
>idea, because it wont effect 99% of the users...just the 1% of people
>that abuse the system.
>
>I'm not a fan of caps myself. I'd rather be charge per GB like I said
>previously. But a 250gig cap....that's huge. That's no restriction at all.

impossible

"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48b90f46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon wrote:

>>> Anyone who downloads that much data is obviously pirating anyway. That's
>>> about 8 gigs a day.

>> Once again Bobs your logic is flawed. You assume that one can download 8
>> GB
>> per day.

> LOL, wake up. That's easily done. I've done it myself. I imagine people
> that use FTP for piracy can triple that.
>
> Think about it. On a 20/1 connection...that's about 1.8MB per second from
> a server with enough bandwidth and a client near the exchange. That's 108
> megs a minute. Or 6.5 gigs PER HOUR. Even at a third of that speed...say 2
> gigs an hour. That's 48 gigs PER DAY. Or 1.5TB PER MONTH.
>

>> The point is, Comcast have raised the cap, bugger the bar, this has to be
>> good. Why should there be a cap?

> Because pirates sit on FTP sites all day downloading 20 gigs a day. We're
> not talking about torrent users here. We're talking about hardcore
> pirates, which is what comcast is clearly targeting with such a cap.
> There's no way average people are going to suck down 8 gigs per day on
> average for legit use. Even with cretins like Puddle suggesting he watched
> BSG from a website. Big deal...even a high def version is only a gig. He'd
> have to watch 8 high def eps per day, EVERY DAY, for the ENTIRE MONTH to
> reach such a cap.

Comcast is more forward-looking than you. Yes, today 250Gb/month sounds like
a lot. But in a year or two, there will be internet channels capable of
competing head-on with Comcast's cable channel for on-demand music and
video -- so long as there are no restrictions on data downbloads -- and
that's what Comcast is determined to stop.

>> A cap suggests that one can not download without the worry of bit hit
>> either
>> in the wallet or bandwidth speed. Let us leave the matter of legal or
>> otherwise downloading out of this cap debaate, for one can download
>> illegal
>> material with a cap.
>>

> Because pirates that download a terrabyte of data are costing the ISP
> money. If everyone downloaded a terrabye a month on their asdl2 or cable
> connection....thr ISP would be brought to its knees. 250GB cap is a good
> idea, because it wont effect 99% of the users...just the 1% of people that
> abuse the system.
>
> I'm not a fan of caps myself. I'd rather be charge per GB like I said
> previously. But a 250gig cap....that's huge. That's no restriction at all.

Search back through nz.comp posts just a few short years ago and you'll find
people claiming that 1Gb/month was excessive. Just because you can't now
imagine it doesn't mean the demand isn't there.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bobs" typed:

> gigs per day on average for legit use. Even with cretins like Puddle

Ad Hominem, the sign of the intellectually challenged, /way/ out of their
depth.

<plonk>
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...