Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Apple slammed for mis-leading advertising with the iphone

Re: Apple slammed for mis-leading advertising with the iphone

Jasen Betts

On 2008-08-28, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So the "go anywhere on the Internet" phone cant do java or flash...while
>> I think flash is not so big (as its mostly used for adverts IMHO) no
>> java is a bit of a killer...

> It would appear that Javascript is supported, though.
> How important is Java in a browser these days?
> (genuine question, BTW).

some sites are unusable without it, same with flash.

Otoh many impressive things can be done with just javascript:

http://www.elizium.nu/scripts/lemmings/

Bye.
Jasen

Bruce Sinclair

In article <g960ch$tdq$2@gonzo>, Jasen Betts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2008-08-28, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> So the "go anywhere on the Internet" phone cant do java or flash...while
>>> I think flash is not so big (as its mostly used for adverts IMHO) no
>>> java is a bit of a killer...

>> It would appear that Javascript is supported, though.
>> How important is Java in a browser these days?
>> (genuine question, BTW).

>some sites are unusable without it, same with flash.

Yep. Suggest not using those sites. There's nothing they are actually
necessary for ... except advertising ususllay ... so why would you bother
? Just because we can do something doesn't make it a good idea ...
there's always another way.

impossible

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:g9fbsq$o9v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <g960ch$tdq$2@gonzo>, Jasen Betts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It would appear that Javascript is supported, though.
>>> How important is Java in a browser these days?
>>> (genuine question, BTW).

>>some sites are unusable without it, same with flash.

> Yep. Suggest not using those sites. There's nothing they are actually
> necessary for ... except advertising ususllay ... so why would you bother
> ? Just because we can do something doesn't make it a good idea ...
> there's always another way.

A dial-up mind in a broadband world. How quaint.