Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newbiee:

Reply
Thread Tools

Newbiee:

 
 
Desser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2008
I had seen this line in the <head> of a age. What does it mean?

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

Is it something automatickly generated by Frontpage or Dreamweaver or that
kind of program?




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2008
On 29 Aug 2008, "Desser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I had seen this line in the <head> of a age. What does it mean?
>
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
>
> Is it something automatickly generated by Frontpage or Dreamweaver or that
> kind of program?


Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too (-or its
successor.)

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.net/
Great Sights and Sounds
http://adult.neredbojias.net/ (adult)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2008
Neredbojias wrote:

> Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too (-or its
> successor.)


More likely Frontpage. In my experience, it's very hard to generate
/bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org | http://webpageworkshop.co.uk

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2008
Dylan Parry wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too
>> (-or its successor.)

>
> More likely Frontpage. In my experience, it's very hard to generate
> /bad/ HTML using Expression Web,


I don't think there's anything bad with a tag like
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR>
as such. It's simply metadata and generally more useful than much of the
metadata that programs and authors puke on HTML documents.

_Different_ Microsoft programs generate such tags. For example, take an
ordinary Windows Internet Explorer, open an ordinary web page, and use the
command File/Save as, selecting the .mht format. Then open the saved file in
a decent text editor and look at the markup.

The .mht format means saving the page in the Internet message format, as a
multipart/related message, with one of the parts containing the HTML
documentm with the <META ...> tag thrown in. _That_ is questionable since it
gives false information about the generation of that document, really. (IE
also transmogrifies the document in other ways, at least by UPPERCASING tag
names, for no good reason.) The idea of the format is good, the
implementation is poor.

> and I know it would almost certainly
> quote the attributes at the very least.


There's really not much practical reason to quote an attribute value like
"GENERATOR" (and not much reason not to do that, of course).

Yucca

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2008
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> There's really not much practical reason to quote an attribute value like
> "GENERATOR" (and not much reason not to do that, of course).


The only reason I can see, in a case such as this where it is entirely
*optional*, is purely that of consistency. Of course, if the document
was XHTML, then it wouldn't be optional, but judging on the lack of a
self-closing slash in the OP's snippet, I don't think that's the the
case here.

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org | http://webpageworkshop.co.uk

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Irina Rempt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2008
Dylan Parry wrote:

> In my experience, it's very hard to generate
> /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
> quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
> as I don't think I've ever actually used it!


I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
scratch.

Irina

(by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 31-Aug-2008
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris F.A. Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2008
On 2008-09-02, Irina Rempt wrote:
> Dylan Parry wrote:
>
>> In my experience, it's very hard to generate
>> /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
>> quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
>> as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

>
> I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
> extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
> scratch.


FrontPage's low reputation is exceeded only by that of other MS
products that supposedly generate HTML. Expression Web, FP's
successor, we've been told, actually produces real HTML.

> (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)


Walk right in, sit right down
Baby, let your hair hang down

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
================================================== =================
Author:
Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2008
Irina Rempt wrote:

> (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)


A general tip is to have a read through the group to familiarise
yourself with the way things work here, but feel free to jump in at any
time. No need for an introduction, but I'm sure if you hang around long
enough we'll get to know you

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org | http://webpageworkshop.co.uk

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2008
In article <48bcf01e$0$182$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Irina Rempt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dylan Parry wrote:
>
> > In my experience, it's very hard to generate
> > /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
> > quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
> > as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

>
> I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
> extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
> scratch.
>
> Irina
>
> (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)
>
> --
> "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
> should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
> http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 31-Aug-2008


One sometimes does just jump in and that is fine. And in my opinion this
is quite as good a thing to do as any other thing because of the
exceedingly hard problem of making an agreeable introduction such as
yours that would be as or more agreeable than a jumping in such as
yours. Now I am not sure whether you have jumped in agreeably or
introduced yourself agreeably but I am quite sure that you have done one
or other of these things and since they are as agreeable as each other,
well... what more can be said except perhaps welcome.

(Please excuse me, just typing practice. I have been preparing pictures
all day and need to keep my hand in for an emergency here...))

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2008
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> On 2008-09-02, Irina Rempt wrote:
>> Dylan Parry wrote:
>>
>>> In my experience, it's very hard to generate
>>> /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
>>> quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
>>> as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

>>
>> I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
>> extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
>> scratch.

>
> FrontPage's low reputation is exceeded only by that of other MS
> products that supposedly generate HTML. Expression Web, FP's
> successor, we've been told, actually produces real HTML.
>
>> (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

>
> Walk right in, sit right down
> Baby, let your hair hang down


Everybody's talking about a new way of walking
Do you want to lose your mind?

(From memory. Now I send this and to see how well I did. <g> )


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments