Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > os.ChDir() not thread-safe; was : Is tempfile.mkdtemp() thread-safe?

os.ChDir() not thread-safe; was : Is tempfile.mkdtemp() thread-safe?

Gabriel Rossetti

Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using tempfile.mkdtemp() in a multithreading program and I've been
> having problems with it. Sometimes it tells me the file I'm trying to
> access (in the directory created with tempfile.mkdtemp()) doesn't
> exist. I suspect that tempfile.mkdtemp() returns the same directory to
> different threads sometimes. Does anyone know anything about this or
> have a solution? I have to create unique and temp. directories to use
> an external program that creates a temp. file with the same name every
> time, thus if I want to call it from several threads, each call has to
> be from a different directory.
>
> Thank you,
> Gabriel

I think I found what was wrong, I was using os.chDir(), and the current
directory is shared by all threads :

http://www.biais.org/blog/index.php/...ds-and-oschdir
http://bugs.python.org/issue1367

I hope this helps anyone that ever has such a problem!

Gabriel