Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Digital signature

Digital signature

Robert Bristow

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of avoiding the digital signature
warning popping up every time I open a non Microsoft registered program
in Vista 64 ultimate, please.

TIA
--
John

Charlie Russel - MVP

no. Be thankful it's there.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Robert Bristow" <spam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me if there is a way of avoiding the digital signature
> warning popping up every time I open a non Microsoft registered program in
> Vista 64 ultimate, please.
>
> TIA
> --
> John

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

You get "digital signature" warnings for two possible cases:

(A) Installing unsigned kernel-mode drivers. You can't actually install
unsigned kernel-mode drivers on Windows Vista x64, so this warning is fatal.

(B) Running applications that are prompting for administrator elevation. The
prompt itself is (1) blue for a Microsoft Windows code signature, (2) grey
for a non-Microsoft signature, or (3) yellow for unsigned.

Note that there is no "Microsoft registration" happening here. The publisher
of any given piece of software is free to sign it themselves directly. This
is essentially the same technology used for "https" websites. In both cases,
the company buys a certificate from a 3rd party vendor that will validate
it's really them. If you are installing random software off the Internet or
open source software without a company affiliation, then there's no way to
know if the software is what it claims to be or something designed to steal
your password and information. At that point, it's up to you. At least with
the prompt, you can try to make some kind of guess.

--
-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Actually, there's a fourth - you get red for a signature that's an untrusted
signature. One that MS hasn't approved. I know this from installing
FabulaTech USB over Internet product, which IS signed, but there's an issue
with the signature. Oh, and you CAN install it, and it does work.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You get "digital signature" warnings for two possible cases:
>
> (A) Installing unsigned kernel-mode drivers. You can't actually install
> unsigned kernel-mode drivers on Windows Vista x64, so this warning is
> fatal.
>
> (B) Running applications that are prompting for administrator elevation.
> The prompt itself is (1) blue for a Microsoft Windows code signature, (2)
> grey for a non-Microsoft signature, or (3) yellow for unsigned.
>
> Note that there is no "Microsoft registration" happening here. The
> publisher of any given piece of software is free to sign it themselves
> directly. This is essentially the same technology used for "https"
> websites. In both cases, the company buys a certificate from a 3rd party
> vendor that will validate it's really them. If you are installing random
> software off the Internet or open source software without a company
> affiliation, then there's no way to know if the software is what it claims
> to be or something designed to steal your password and information. At
> that point, it's up to you. At least with the prompt, you can try to make
> some kind of guess.
>
> --
> -Chuck Walbourn
> SDE, XNA Developer Connection
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no
> rights.

Robert Bristow

In message <#(E-Mail Removed)>, Charlie Russel - MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>no. Be thankful it's there.

Sorry I should have been a little more specific.

I have used the software for around 12 years now and trust it. And,
whilst I am thankful for it in a few cases, in others it is a pain that
I would like to turn off for that program only.

It is my belief that too many unnecessary warnings that you get used to
automatically over riding leads to reflex over riding at the wrong time.
--
John