Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python in a Nutshell -- Book vs Web

Python in a Nutshell -- Book vs Web

W. eWatson

I read an Amazon of Python in a Nutshell. The first edition is supposedly
much like the web site. What web site? The second edition apparently adds
more to the book than the web site.

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Matimus

On Aug 28, 3:05*pm, "W. eWatson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I read an Amazon of Python in a Nutshell. The first edition is supposedly
> much like the web site. What web site? The second edition apparently adds
> more to the book than the web site.

O'Reilly seems to just read all of the available documentation and
regurgitate it in book form. The "in a nutshell" series being the
worst offender. Most of "Python in a Nutshell" tells you the same
information that you can find at http://docs.python.org, which is
probably "the web site" being referenced.

Matt

Fredrik Lundh

Cameron Laird wrote:

> No. No, to an almost libelous extent.

No matter what you write about, there's always a certain subcategory of
potential readers who insist that collection, editing, filtering,
structuring, clarification, and the author's real-life experience of the
topic he's writing about has no value at all. My guess is that they
don't value their own time very highly.

</F>

Michele Simionato

On Aug 29, 1:44*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> Insightful. *Well, I find it insightful; perhaps it's
> a personal blindness on my part. *I expect programmers
> to understand, for example, that two lines of code can
> be a good day's production, in some circumstances

My best days are the ones were I have a negative count of lines, i.e.
I am able to remove cruft

ˇ¶python in a nutshellˇ·andˇ¶programming pythonˇ· yps Python 2 06-19-2008 10:19 AM
confusion around CustomException example in 'Python in a Nutshell' erick_bodine@comcast.net Python 4 03-13-2005 03:57 PM
Python in a Nutshell for Python 2.4 Tuang Python 14 09-26-2004 08:03 PM
OT: Python in a Nutshell kbass Python 2 05-31-2004 07:31 AM
A very short story about Python in a Nutshell Peter Hansen Python 1 07-11-2003 07:37 PM

Advertisments