Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Tech Advice sought

Tech Advice sought

ProfQ

Hi Group: newbie/oldie question here. I need a new desktop machine to
run Adobe Audition 3.0 as well as digital video editing software. I will
be purchasing Vista Ultimate 64, Adobe Audition 3.0, digital video
editing software, probably something like Cyberlink DVD editing, and I
need a good/fast processor, good/fast main board, large amount of RAM,
say 10GB, and medium-large hard drive (about 750GB-1000GB), an excellent
video graphics card as well as an excellent audio rendering card for 5.1
surround sound. I'd like a 17" - 19" flat screen, infrared keyboard and
infrared mouse.

Are there any tech-savvy readers who could possibly please direct me -
but I do not wish to spend more than $3000 on the entire system,
excluding software.

Ian Samson
PC User since DOS2

Bobby Johnson

Your question is really not appropriate for this forum.
Your asking for a system design, which is hardware. This is
a software forum for questions directly related to the
function of 64-bit Windows operating systems.

You will need to do some research on your own on the
internet, or, consult with a local computer shop that
specializing in designing systems.

ProfQ wrote:
> Hi Group: newbie/oldie question here. I need a new desktop machine to
> run Adobe Audition 3.0 as well as digital video editing software. I will
> be purchasing Vista Ultimate 64, Adobe Audition 3.0, digital video
> editing software, probably something like Cyberlink DVD editing, and I
> need a good/fast processor, good/fast main board, large amount of RAM,
> say 10GB, and medium-large hard drive (about 750GB-1000GB), an excellent
> video graphics card as well as an excellent audio rendering card for 5.1
> surround sound. I'd like a 17" - 19" flat screen, infrared keyboard and
> infrared mouse.
>
> Are there any tech-savvy readers who could possibly please direct me -
> but I do not wish to spend more than $3000 on the entire system,
> excluding software.
>
> Ian Samson
> PC User since DOS2
> (E-Mail Removed)

Jeff Gaines

On 28/08/2008 in message <g9742o$tee$(E-Mail Removed)> ProfQ
wrote:

>Are there any tech-savvy readers who could possibly please direct me - but
>I do not wish to spend more than $3000 on the entire system, excluding
>software.

It would be worth finding a homebuilt or hardware group -
uk.comp.homebuilt is very good, I don't know if there is a US equivalent?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Clayton

That was nice of Jeff to point ProfQ in the right direction.

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28/08/2008 in message <g9742o$tee$(E-Mail Removed)> ProfQ
> wrote:
>
>>Are there any tech-savvy readers who could possibly please direct me - but
>>I do not wish to spend more than $3000 on the entire system, excluding
>>software.

> It would be worth finding a homebuilt or hardware group -
> uk.comp.homebuilt is very good, I don't know if there is a US equivalent?
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
> You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:07:20 +0200, ProfQ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Ian

For video editing I would recommend to stay away from Vista, and stick
to XP. There are few programs which run well on Vista 64. Drivers is a
main concern when you're using special video hardware.
Vista has unfortunately to much overhead for time-critical
applications like video-editing. Maybe if you spend hours/days in
killing all non-necessary backgroundtasks etc etc, you can get a
reasonably decent running system, but it's just a waste of time if yo
can do the same job in XP without much tweaking.

cheers

jud