Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Night sky on Long Island

Night sky on Long Island

Cynicor

I took this around 10PM last night in Montauk NY. That's not sunset -
it's haze and sodium light pollution which is encroaching from more
populous areas to the west.

http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360487072_ebrsb-XL.jpg

Cynicor

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I took this around 10PM last night in Montauk NY. That's not sunset - it's
>> haze and sodium light pollution which is encroaching from more populous
>> areas to the west.
>>
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360487072_ebrsb-XL.jpg

> Yow! That jumps at one. Good work, there.

Thanks - the sky is so beautiful here. It's about the only dark sky site
south of Maine.

Milky Way (f/2.8, ISO800, 90 sec, fisheye)
http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360661263_sKntp-L.jpg

Jupiter in Sagittarius
http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360666364_rDqwu-L.jpg

The Dippers
http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360514416_tSZ7R-L.jpg

Cynicor

Alan Browne wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>> I took this around 10PM last night in Montauk NY. That's not sunset -
>> it's haze and sodium light pollution which is encroaching from more
>> populous areas to the west.
>>
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/photos/360487072_ebrsb-XL.jpg

> Cool. Spooky.
>
> Esp. like the car lights aiming at the heart of it...
>
> Seeya in the shootin?

It's surprisingly difficult to stay out of the way of a 180 degree
fisheye lens!

I took some more just now, this time down at Montauk Point.

http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/16...58_LSgBL-XL-LB