Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win is wearing out my hard drive

Win is wearing out my hard drive

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

XP Pro x64 is interrogating my SCSI hard drive every second, and periodicaly
reading the whole drive, while my foreground application is waiting for me to
give it another instruction.

I have not authorised any background applications and I have turned off some
Windows services which I felt were simply not neccessary for my use of this
computer, including internet access. The computer is definitely not accessing
the internet.

What might I consider to stop this noisy and pointless disk access?

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
look for sysintenal's filemon(itor)
you can figure out which app is accessing your files
jk

David Stevens

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote>:
> What might I consider to stop this noisy and pointless disk access?

Juergen Kluth suggested Sysinternals Filemon. It's free, and
it's also part of an 8MB package (Sysinternals Suite) with other
programs that could help diagnose what's happening:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...c5a693683.aspx Filemon is great. "Process Explorer," included in the package,will show you what's going on outside of the file system.- David Stevens

Tom Ferguson

The very first thing I would do is be sure I have a well-defined baseline
system. To that end, I would turn back on any services I had disabled. Then
I would run a repair install and re-apply all updates. Then, if the problem
persisted, and I were sure it was not just the indexing service or some type
of malware, I would start by using the tools already suggested in this
thread.

Good luck.
--

Tom