Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > List of modules available for import inside Python?

List of modules available for import inside Python?

ssecorp

Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
from within Python?
Like writing in the interpreter:
import.modules

Also, is there anything like Cpan for Python?

James Mills

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM, ssecorp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Also, is there anything like Cpan for Python?

Try the Python Cheese Shop / PyPi

http://pypi.python.org/pypi

cheers
James

-- "Problems are solved by method"

Chris Rebert

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:21 PM, ssecorp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
> from within Python?
> Like writing in the interpreter:
> import.modules
>

> Also, is there anything like Cpan for Python?

The closest thing would be PyPI (the Python Package Index)
[http://pypi.python.org/pypi], and easy_install (a package manager for
Python) [http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall].

- Chris
========
Follow the path of the Iguana...
Rebertia: http://rebertia.com
Blog: http://blog.rebertia.com

Fredrik Lundh

ssecorp wrote:

> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
> from within Python?
> Like writing in the interpreter:
> import.modules

there's a helper script in the 2.5 source code kit that locates all
existing standard modules:

http://svn.python.org/projects/pytho...listmodules.py

to get all modules, remove the for-loop that follows after the comment
"get rid of site packages".

also see:

http://effbot.org/zone/listmodules-cgi.htm

</F>

Michele Simionato

On Aug 28, 6:21*am, ssecorp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
> from within Python?
> Like writing in the interpreter:

Try:

>>> help()

help> modules
Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...
<snip>

pruebauno@latinmail.com

On Aug 28, 12:21 am, ssecorp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
> from within Python?
> Like writing in the interpreter:
> import.modules
>
> Also, is there anything like Cpan for Python?

Isn't the most obvious answer to the first question this link?

http://docs.python.org/modindex.html

Fredrik Lundh

>> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
>> from within Python?
>> Like writing in the interpreter:
>> import.modules
>>
>> Also, is there anything like Cpan for Python?

> Isn't the most obvious answer to the first question this link?

depends on whether you want a list of the modules that you might be able
to import, or the modules that are actually present on your system.

</F>

Jason Scheirer

On Aug 27, 11:04*pm, Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ssecorp wrote:
> > Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
> > from within Python?
> > Like writing in the interpreter:
> > import.modules

> there's a helper script in the 2.5 source code kit that locates all
> existing standard modules:
>
> http://svn.python.org/projects/pytho...listmodules.py
>
> to get all modules, remove the for-loop that follows after the comment
> "get rid of site packages".
>
> also see:
>
> http://effbot.org/zone/listmodules-cgi.htm
>
> </F>

I like to direct new users to pydoc's built-in HTTP server:

import pydoc
pydoc.gui()
(then click the 'open browser' button)

clurker

Michele Simionato wrote:

> On Aug 28, 6:21┬*am, ssecorp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
>> from within Python?
>> Like writing in the interpreter:

> Try:

> help> modules
> Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...
> <snip>

This looks like it could be a useful tool, but when I try it
I get the following:

Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/lib/PyFontify.py:35:
Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/lib/PyFontify.py:36:
Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site.py", line 346, in __call__
return pydoc.help(*args, **kwds)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1645, in __call__
self.interact()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1663, in interact
self.help(request)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1679, in help
elif request == 'modules': self.listmodules()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1797, in listmodules
ModuleScanner().run(callback)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pydoc.py", line 1848, in run
for importer, modname, ispkg in pkgutil.walk_packages():
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 110, in walk_packages
__import__(name)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 1342,
in <module>

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 927,
in main

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'given_files' referenced before assignment

which could be because I am fairly free and unrestrained when
it comes to installing stuff, and I see now I have modules
on both /usr/lib/python2.5 and /usr/local/lib/python2.5

Apparently python knows about them both, but I don't know I
haven't introduced an incompatibility somewhere...and that PIL
package showing up at the tail of the errors was one of my
more recent additions...

Any help will be appreciated,

sc

Gabriel Genellina

En Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:18:55 -0300, clurker <(E-Mail Removed)> escribiˇ:

> Michele Simionato wrote:
>
>> On Aug 28, 6:21*am, ssecorp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Is there a way to view all the modules I have available for import
>>> from within Python?
>>> Like writing in the interpreter:

>> Try:

>> help> modules
>> Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...
>> <snip>

> This looks like it could be a useful tool, but when I try it
> I get the following:
>
> Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...

[...]
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 1342,
> in <module>
>
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 927,
> in main
>
> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'given_files' referenced before assignment

Unfortunately the "modules" help command actually imports all the available packages, and a buggy one may stop the whole process with an error.

> Apparently python knows about them both, but I don't know I
> haven't introduced an incompatibility somewhere...and that PIL
> package showing up at the tail of the errors was one of my
> more recent additions...

If import of a package fails, the error reported is not accurate. In this case, probably some other package failed, that itself imported PIL. Line 927 in PIL/__init__.py does not exist.

A quick fix is to replace line 1854 in pydoc.py (ModuleScanner.run) with this one:

for importer, modname, ispkg in pkgutil.walk_packages(onerror=lambda name:None):

(the onerror argument makes it to ignore all errors)

--
Gabriel Genellina