Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Event Viewer

Event Viewer

john

I am getting warning events like
Process information:
Process ID: 2764
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
Exception type: InvalidCastException
Exception message: Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is
not valid.

The problem is it will not tell me which line of the code caused this
error. Sometimes it is really hard to identify the place where the
code fails. Is there any way to add line number to warnings like this?

bruce barker

compile with debug (this will compile in the line numbers), but do not set
debug on in the web.config (as this effects asp.net performance).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"john" wrote:

> I am getting warning events like
> Process information:
> Process ID: 2764
> Process name: w3wp.exe
> Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
>
> Exception information:
> Exception type: InvalidCastException
> Exception message: Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is
> not valid.
>
> The problem is it will not tell me which line of the code caused this
> error. Sometimes it is really hard to identify the place where the
> code fails. Is there any way to add line number to warnings like this?

john

On Aug 27, 11:18*am, bruce barker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> compile with debug (this will compile in the line numbers), but do not set
> debug on in the web.config (as this effects asp.net performance).
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

> "john" wrote:
> > I am getting warning events like
> > Process information:
> > * * Process ID: 2764
> > * * Process name: w3wp.exe
> > * * Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

> > Exception information:
> > * * Exception type: InvalidCastException
> > * * Exception message: Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is
> > not valid.

> > The problem is it will not tell me which line of the code caused this
> > error. *Sometimes it is really hard to identify the place where the
> > code fails. *Is there any way to add line number to warnings like this?- Hide quoted text -

I cannot do it. I am getting this error only in production. In
development I cannot recreate it.

bruce barker

then follow my directions. compile the production site with debug (which adds
line number support), but don't set debug in the web.config

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"john" wrote:

> On Aug 27, 11:18 am, bruce barker
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > compile with debug (this will compile in the line numbers), but do not set
> > debug on in the web.config (as this effects asp.net performance).
> >
> > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
> >

> > "john" wrote:
> > > I am getting warning events like
> > > Process information:
> > > Process ID: 2764
> > > Process name: w3wp.exe
> > > Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

> > > Exception information:
> > > Exception type: InvalidCastException
> > > Exception message: Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is
> > > not valid.

> > > The problem is it will not tell me which line of the code caused this
> > > error. Sometimes it is really hard to identify the place where the
> > > code fails. Is there any way to add line number to warnings like this?- Hide quoted text -

> I cannot do it. I am getting this error only in production. In
> development I cannot recreate it.

john

On Aug 27, 1:31*pm, bruce barker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> then follow my directions. compile the production site with debug (which adds
> line number support), but don't set debug in the web.config
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

> "john" wrote:
> > On Aug 27, 11:18 am, bruce barker
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > compile with debug (this will compile in the line numbers), but do not set
> > > debug on in the web.config (as this effects asp.net performance).

> > > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

> > I cannot do it. *I am getting this error only in production. *In
> > development I cannot recreate it.- Hide quoted text -

I tested it, seems like this is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks,

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You can get the PDBs without debug compile, if that is what you are aiming
at.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA