Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good semi-pro camera?

Good semi-pro camera?

Fred Anonymous

"Chris Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> Except for those where you can turn off the autofocus delay, which
>>> then shoot a bit faster than a DSLR because there's no mirror to have
>>> to flip first.

>> Uh, no. Unless of course you can provide actual numbers.

>> [Yes, turning off auto focus helps, but doesn't make the overall lag
>> shorter than decent DSLRs.]

> Many reviews of the Sony R1 commented that in manual focus its shutter
> lag was less than that of most DSLRs. The only figure I could find was
> 0.00750 sec. I don't know how accurate that figure is. Generally
> speaking, since lifting the shutter must add a significant delay to
> the DSLR, I'd expect any good quality non-reflex camera to outpace a
> good DSLR in manual focus shutter lag.
>
> --
> Chris Malcolm http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
> IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
> [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Typical shutter lag for a film SLR would be around 100mS - 150mS.
If the R1 really is 75mS then this would be quicker than a film SLR.
The fastest film SLR I used was the Canon RT which had a lag of typically
10mS.

I haven't seen any figures for digital SLRs.

Regards, Ian.
Nottingham UK.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris H
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend of mine has a US Nikon that he gets serviced in the UK . He
> bought it whilst in the US on business but lives In the UK

that wouldn't be a grey market camera, and is fully warranted.

SMS

Chris H wrote:
> In message <Hlyuk.5358$(E-Mail Removed)>, SMS
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Beladi Nasrallah wrote:
>>> This means that you cannot fix the "grey import" cameras under
>>> warranty.

>> Canon routinely repairs gray market cameras under warranty. Nikon will
>> not repair them either under warranty, or for money.

> You mean Nikon US not "Nikon" per say?

Yes, I should have been more clear. It's Nikon U.S. that's the problem,
not Nikon per se.

SMS

Alan Browne wrote:
> C J Campbell wrote:
>> Funny. All the pros I know use DSLRs. Frankly, I will take the word of
>> the likes of Moose Peterson, Thom Hogan, Joe McNally or Robert T.
>> Williams over yours. I don't see a lot of point & shoot pictures
>> getting published in National Geographic or Rangefinder Magazine. The
>> guys

> A few years ago, a whole article in the Japanese v. of Nat Geo was
> actually done with a (pretty good, mind you) P&S.
>
> It was deliberately done so.

Was that a film P&S or a digital P&S. Actually, you could create the
right conditions where a P&S would work just fine. As long as you don't
need fast shutter response, true wide-angle or long telephoto lenses,
and were using a tripod and shooting at low ISO, you can get good
results, with minimal noise.

Unfortunately, most of the National Geographic photos I see could not be
taken with a P&S. A lot of shots of animals done with long telephoto
lenses or landscapes done with extreme wide-angle lenses. National
Geographic photographers used to be Nikon's best customers back in the
days of film. Now most have switched to full-frame digital, and until
very recently Nikon had nothing to offer them.

Paul Furman

Fred Anonymous wrote:
> "Chris Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Uh, no. Unless of course you can provide actual numbers.
>>> [Yes, turning off auto focus helps, but doesn't make the overall lag
>>> shorter than decent DSLRs.]

>> Many reviews of the Sony R1 commented that in manual focus its shutter
>> lag was less than that of most DSLRs. The only figure I could find was
>> 0.00750 sec. I don't know how accurate that figure is. Generally
>> speaking, since lifting the shutter must add a significant delay to
>> the DSLR, I'd expect any good quality non-reflex camera to outpace a
>> good DSLR in manual focus shutter lag.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Malcolm (E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
>> IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
>> [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
>>

> Typical shutter lag for a film SLR would be around 100mS - 150mS.
> If the R1 really is 75mS then this would be quicker than a film SLR.

Not surprising, electric shutter. I'm not aware of any P&S besides the
R1 with a manual focus ring though and it's probably discontinued or
will be soon.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net