Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good semi-pro camera?

Good semi-pro camera?

rkhen@softhome.net

Hi all,

I did a lot of freelance journalism in the 90s and was pretty
successful. In those days I carried a Canon AE-1 35mm, "the AK 47 of
the freelance photographer," and various accessories.

Now I'd like to get back into it, but sadly, I find that cameras just
like my trusty AE-1 (which still works perfectly) are now going for
50$ on E-bay. Sigh.

So, what's the new AK 47? Bearing in mind that I'm still learning
about digitial photography, and will be buying used because I can't
afford new. (I bought my AE-1 used, too. Sigh.)

I realise this is a huge question, but any advice on models or
desirable features would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

SMS

> Hi all,
>
> I did a lot of freelance journalism in the 90s and was pretty
> successful. In those days I carried a Canon AE-1 35mm, "the AK 47 of
> the freelance photographer," and various accessories.
>
> Now I'd like to get back into it, but sadly, I find that cameras just
> like my trusty AE-1 (which still works perfectly) are now going for
> 50$ on E-bay. Sigh.
>
> So, what's the new AK 47? Bearing in mind that I'm still learning
> about digitial photography, and will be buying used because I can't
> afford new. (I bought my AE-1 used, too. Sigh.)
>
> I realise this is a huge question, but any advice on models or
> desirable features would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Get the Canon 40D or the Nikon D300. Both are just about one year old
and both will soon be replaced by newer models, but are very good. When
the new models are available, these older bodies will be available used
at good prices (in the $600 price range for the 40D, and the $800 price
range for the D300). They're both great cameras, with the main
advantages of the newer models being a little higher resolution.

Unfortunately, Canon and Nikon lenses tend to hold their value well, so
not a lot of used bargains there, and often you can find the lenses on
sale new for less than what people are paying on craigslist or eBay.

If you can find a Nikon or Canon owner that's upgrading to full-frame,
then they might be selling their DX or EF-s lenses along with the body
(both can be used on the full-frame bodies but are a compromise that
many owners won't want to make). Look for a 40D with a 17-85 IS EF-s
lens, or a Nikon D300 with a 16-85mm VR DX lens. You should be able to
find the former for about $800, and the latter for about $1000, once the
replacement models are available.

You should wait a couple of months until the new Canon and Nikon models
hit the store shelves, since that's when the used value of the previous
generation bodies will plummet. Right now the owners are a bit too proud.

Note that Canon has already announced the successor to the 10 megapixel
40D, it's the 15 megapixel 50D, but Nikon hasn't yet announced the
successor to the 12 megapixel D300. Both were introduced in August 2007.

rkhen@softhome.net

Thanks very much for that advice; I'll look into it. If anyone has any
thing to add, I'm all ears.

On 26 ago, 18:02, SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I did a lot of freelance journalism in the 90s and was pretty
> > successful. In those days I carried a Canon AE-1 35mm, "the AK 47 of
> > the freelance photographer," and various accessories.

> > Now I'd like to get back into it, but sadly, I find that cameras just
> > like my trusty AE-1 (which still works perfectly) are now going for
> > 50$ on E-bay. Sigh.

> > So, what's the new AK 47? Bearing in mind that I'm still learning
> > about digitial photography, and will be buying used because I can't
> > afford new. (I bought my AE-1 used, too. Sigh.)

> > I realise this is a huge question, but any advice on models or
> > desirable features would be very much appreciated.

> > Thanks.

> Get the Canon 40D or the Nikon D300. Both are just about one year old
> and both will soon be replaced by newer models, but are very good. When
> the new models are available, these older bodies will be available used
> at good prices (in the $600 price range for the 40D, and the $800 price
> range for the D300). They're both great cameras, with the main
> advantages of the newer models being a little higher resolution.
>
> Unfortunately, Canon and Nikon lenses tend to hold their value well, so
> not a lot of used bargains there, and often you can find the lenses on
> sale new for less than what people are paying on craigslist or eBay.
>
> If you can find a Nikon or Canon owner that's upgrading to full-frame,
> then they might be selling their DX or EF-s lenses along with the body
> (both can be used on the full-frame bodies but are a compromise that
> many owners won't want to make). Look for a 40D with a 17-85 IS EF-s
> lens, or a Nikon D300 with a 16-85mm VR DX lens. You should be able to
> find the former for about $800, and the latter for about $1000, once the
> * replacement models are available.
>
> You should wait a couple of months until the new Canon and Nikon models
> hit the store shelves, since that's when the used value of the previous
> generation bodies will plummet. Right now the owners are a bit too proud.
>
> Note that Canon has already announced the successor to the 10 megapixel
> * 40D, it's the 15 megapixel 50D, but Nikon hasn't yet announced the
> successor to the 12 megapixel D300. Both were introduced in August 2007.

saycheez

If you are doing free lance journalism then pixel count is likely secondary
to write speed which is what determines fps.
Write speed is dependent on the memory buffer in the camera so that is what
you should pay attention to in your research.
You do not need the latest and greatest sensor for newspaper and web
posting, far from it.
However if you have higher aspirations then the latest is definitely the
greatest in digital.
If you are going to abuse your camera then while a used machine may be
cheaper it will already be well into its rated shutter count.
Since the maximum write speed is obtained with jpegs then you do not have to
initially be concerned about raw processing.
And while the fastest memory cards exceed the speed at which cameras can
write to them they may have an advantage for quicker downloading of your
saleable images.
In truth it is your ability and savvy that is more important than the gear:
digital is no different than film in this regard.

Ray Fischer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Thanks very much for that advice; I'll look into it. If anyone has any
>thing to add, I'm all ears.

It's good advice. If you wanted to save money you could go with
cheaper dSLRs. You'll find either of those a major step up from the
AE-1 and even the cheaper digital SLRs are quite a bit more capable
than the AE-1.

Consider a mid-range SLR for now (Canon XSi or Nikon D80) and put more
money into lenses. By the time you're up to speed on the world of
digital you'll know better how much camera you really want and your
camera will be ready for upgrading.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

David J Taylor

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:07:32 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much for that advice; I'll look into it. If anyone has
>> any thing to add, I'm all ears.

Choose the best tool for the job, without prejudice. It's not as
black-and-white as some would make you think. Both DSLR and compact
cameras have their advantages, and both have their drawbacks. Ideally,
take both.

Cheers,
David

Mark Thomas

JakeJ wrote:
> Think out of the box. Just because you have believed all your life that a good
> camera must look, act, and obnoxiously sound like an SLR, when all is said and
> done it's how well it performs to fit your own needs that matters.

Bear in mind that this was posted by our well-known anti-DSLR troll, who
uses multiple names to try to make it appear he has support. Vern,
Bombadier, etc, etc..

Frankly, for p-j work, I would go with a 4/3 camera before a p&s. But a
DSLR is the obvious choice - get to a store and try them all out, check
out DPREview, Imaging-Resource, Cameralabs.

What sort of p-j? Specifics might help narrow it down.

Mark Thomas

JakeJ wrote:
> Oh, if only the photojournalists had only SLRs during the crash of the
> Hindenberg
> P&S cameras have video for those times
> Some will even record in CD-quality stereo so later that
> sound-track could be put through directional analysis for crime scenes.
> Get the drift? No, I thought not. You're that amazingly stupid.
> Get some real-life experience with real cameras
> quit relaying your obvious ignorance....

Any questions? (O:

He's sooo helpful. And that soundtrack thru directional analysis idea -
how handy would *that* be??? Can't believe I've lived without it...

RoushPhotoOnline.com

On Aug 26, 7:38*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did a lot of freelance journalism in the 90s and was pretty
> successful. In those days I carried a Canon AE-1 35mm, "the AK 47 of
> the freelance photographer," and various accessories.
>
> Now I'd like to get back into it, but sadly, I find that cameras just
> like my trusty AE-1 (which still works perfectly) are now going for
> 50$ on E-bay. Sigh.
>
> So, what's the new AK 47? Bearing in mind that I'm still learning
> about digitial photography, and will be buying used because I can't
> afford new. (I bought my AE-1 used, too. Sigh.)
>
> I realise this is a huge question, but any advice on models or
> desirable features would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

All of these suggestions are good. I am a Nikon user, so I would
recoomend the D80 or D300. However, any camera at this level is very
good. Most importantly, any of these mid range systems are ones that
you can grow "in to" with new lenses. A D80 when used with Nikon's
Pro Series lenese is a very good system. In fact, it would out-
perform the D300 with the amatuer series or off brand lenses in most
cases.
Just my 2 cents worth
Jeff Roush
photo instructor
http://www.roushphotoonline.com

SMS

RoushPhotoOnline.com wrote:

> All of these suggestions are good. I am a Nikon user, so I would
> recoomend the D80 or D300. However, any camera at this level is very
> good. Most importantly, any of these mid range systems are ones that
> you can grow "in to" with new lenses. A D80 when used with Nikon's
> Pro Series lenese is a very good system. In fact, it would out-
> perform the D300 with the amatuer series or off brand lenses in most
> cases.

Good advice. And with the D80 replacement announced, and the D300
replacement imminent, there should be a good supply of used bodies from
those that just have to have the latest thing as soon as it comes out.
Ditto for the 50D/40D and 7D/5D from Canon.