Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Screen is messing up

Screen is messing up

mary caudill

I have an acer Aspire 5050 laptop. I am currently having problems with
my screen. On occasion (about 4-5 times a day), my screen becomes a
big mess of blinking white lines. I can fix it by simply adjusting
the power cord where it plugs into the computer. It never really last
that long, but I'm have a feeling of impending doom, like maybe
someday I won't be able to fix it. Has anyone ever heard of this and
can you give me some help on the matter.
Thank you in advance,
Mary Anne

Paul

mary caudill wrote:
> I have an acer Aspire 5050 laptop. I am currently having problems with
> my screen. On occasion (about 4-5 times a day), my screen becomes a
> big mess of blinking white lines. I can fix it by simply adjusting
> the power cord where it plugs into the computer. It never really last
> that long, but I'm have a feeling of impending doom, like maybe
> someday I won't be able to fix it. Has anyone ever heard of this and
> can you give me some help on the matter.
> Thank you in advance,
> Mary Anne

According to this, the graphics are provided by an ATI chipset Xpress 1100.
So this isn't an Nvidia problem at least.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3609

I don't know why moving the power cord, would affect the ability of the
computer to render the screen. If the power feed to the laptop died, it
should be running from battery. And when the battery dies, it should
attempt to shut down.

That means the lines could be symptomatic of a bad connection inside
the computer, and perhaps any twisting motion on the case of the
laptop, restores the connection.

I would consider backing up all my files, to an external hard drive,
and then sending the thing for warranty work. Make sure you
completely describe the symptoms. It helps, if you can provide
the warranty staff, with a method of reproducing the problem.
Otherwise, those lazy guys will send it back, claiming "No Fault Found"
or NFF. They like problems to smack them in the face, and they don't like
to have to search too long for problems.

The reason for doing a full backup, to an external hard drive, is the
warranty center likes to reformat the hard drive. Even if you place
a sticker on the unit saying "please don't erase my files", they
will anyway Never never trust your valuable data, to repair
people. They have a strange sense of humor.

Don't let the warranty expire, before seeking a repair.

Paul