Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Unusual Problem With DVD+RW Disc

Re: Unusual Problem With DVD+RW Disc

Primordial Ooze

On Aug 26, 2:37*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
> Bought a spindle of Memorex. *The Lite-On recorder/player rejected
> five of them outright but the other 20 have recorded and re-recorded
> TV shows OK so far .... until last night.
>
> The disc read OK so I programmed a show. *This morning, the timer
> screen said *that the recording was "done," in other words,
> successful. *But the disc wouldn't play on either the player/recorder
> downstairs or the player upstairs.
>
> In fact, the upstairs player shuts off and says "no disc" and the
> player/recorder downstairs says "invalid disc." *Other discs work OK.
>
> I missed a damn good movie. *Have you ever heard of a disc going from
> acceptable to invalid while it sat in the recorder??

first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

MrBuddwing@aol.com

On Aug 26, 6:03*pm, Primordial Ooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
> rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
> anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
> things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
> long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
> work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

Michael Black

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Brian wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> first of all, there are better groups for such questions

> Such as? I've had similar problems.

It all depends on where he is, and where you are.

This thread was crossposted to
balt.general
alt.video.dvd
alt.video.dvdr
rec.arts.tv
I have no idea what the first one is, but maybe a newsgroup local
to Baltimore. The second one I thought was mostly about commercial
DVDs, certainly that's how it is when I check it. The third sounds
right, and the fourth it's only relevant if you stretch the meaning.

But likely he read it in an odd place, and maybe didn't even notice
the cross-posting. Especially with the latter, he wouldn't have
noticed that there maybe were "better groups" included. On the
other hand, if you have a "better group" then you don't need
to cross-post to irrelevant newsgroups.

Michael

Paul Heslop

Brian wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >first of all, there are better groups for such questions

> Such as? I've had similar problems.
>
> >but yes
> >rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
> >anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
> >things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
> >long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
> >work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

maybe worth trying the groups with tech in the title aswell

alt.video.dvd.tech
rec.video.dvd.tech

but I don;t think it makes a whole lot of difference, rather how many
people use the groups.

You might even get some joy from
alt.comp.periphs.cdr

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Paul Heslop

> On Aug 26, 6:03 pm, Primordial Ooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
> > rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
> > anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
> > things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
> > long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
> > work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

> Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

the choice will eventually be removed, which is why I made the jump,
but there have been a few problems along the way. I have an older
machine which records fine but the discs don't play in all machines.
It's not a format thing, the book actually advised that it was the
case but it was still a surprise when my daughter reported that they
played but with no visuals. My granddaughter borrowed an old dvd from
me this week and sure enough it doesn't play in hers.

It is a very temperamental format for sure, and the discs themselves
of such varying quality, as are the machines.

--

"Fred C. Dobbs" wrote:

> I have had very good results using a hdd recorder with a built in
> DVD recorder. It is an RCA DRC8030N I replaced the 80gig hard drive
> with a 500gig. That gives me over 900hrs or recording time. I record
> to the hard drive then If I want to keep the program I transfer it to
> DVD. The recorder has a 2 hr buffer so If I am watching something and
> then I decide I want to record it 15 min into the show. I hit the
> record button, and I have the whole show. The point I am trying to
> make is, If the blank dvd media I am using fails, I still have the
> program and can try again. The thing is not perfect , the clock loses
> time or hangs up. But it has been as reliable as any VCR I have had.
>
> Fred

Yeah, Mine now is a dvd/HD and that's my recommendation too. Problem
with me Panasonic, from what I have heard, is that the machine will
simply mark any bigger hard disc as the same size to the one already
in it. I guess because they sell different sized drives in their
machines, but anyway, yes, and for the editing facilities etc it's the
way to go.
--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:58:34 -0400, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>first of all, there are better groups for such questions

>Such as? I've had similar problems.
>
>>but yes
>>rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
>>anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
>>things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
>>long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
>>work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

ALL of the ****ing "rip-it" groups, you stupid twit.

alt.video.dvd is NOT, nor has it ever been, a ****ing retarded rip-it
group.

Jeez, any dipshit having a problem with something so simple as an
authoring drive, should NOT be publishing discs!

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:03:15 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Aug 26, 6:03*pm, Primordial Ooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
>> rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
>> anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
>> things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
>> long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
>> work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

>Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

Doesn't change the fact that you are, however.

The AOL was a give away for that fact though.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:46:10 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:03:15 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>On Aug 26, 6:03=A0pm, Primordial Ooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
>>> rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
>>> anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
>>> things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
>>> long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
>>> work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

>>Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

>Don't feel dumb.
>
>DVDs offer better audio-visual quality but with tempermental discs and
>overly-sensitive recorders, DVDs aren't worth the trouble.

You're a goddamned retard that deserves to get every piece of
electronic gear made in the world, that is due to have a failure.

Got any more utterly retarded tid-bits for the world?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:08:01 -0400, Michael Black <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Brian wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> first of all, there are better groups for such questions

>> Such as? I've had similar problems.
>>

>It all depends on where he is, and where you are.
>
>This thread was crossposted to
> balt.general
> alt.video.dvd
> alt.video.dvdr
> rec.arts.tv
>I have no idea what the first one is, but maybe a newsgroup local
>to Baltimore. The second one I thought was mostly about commercial
>DVDs, certainly that's how it is when I check it. The third sounds
>right, and the fourth it's only relevant if you stretch the meaning.
>
>But likely he read it in an odd place, and maybe didn't even notice
>the cross-posting. Especially with the latter, he wouldn't have
>noticed that there maybe were "better groups" included. On the
>other hand, if you have a "better group" then you don't need
>to cross-post to irrelevant newsgroups.
>
> Michael

When someone responds to a cross-posted post, one must respond to ALL
the groups as well, as one does not know which group the OP actually
frequents or would look for answers in, as well as other respondents.

If the dope is too stupid to know about cross-posting, he should
immediately be considered too stupid to properly monitor the groups he
spewed his horseshit into for an answer.

So, it is wrong on top of wrong, but since we cannot suspend the license
to post of these stupid bastards, all we can do is carry on.

So all the "don't feed the troll" posters, and all the other ****tards
out there that think they are educating anyone are just about as stupid
as those they think they are chastising.