Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Netbooks

Re: Netbooks

clandestin_écureuil

Alfred Molon wrote:
> Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
> digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for travelling.
> You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner for backups.
> But how suitable are these machines for image processing? You might
> want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a much
longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom processor is much
faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my multi processor Mac, but
is will handle it as long as you are prepared to wait for filters to run
etc., and don't keep to many levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it
is much quicker than a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must
when working with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for any real
post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my tripod, a mount
sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting vehicular GPS devices.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com

Sheila

clandestin_écureuil wrote:
> Alfred Molon wrote:
>> Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
>> digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for
>> travelling. You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner
>> for backups. But how suitable are these machines for image processing?
>> You might want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

> I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a much
> longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom processor is
> much faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my multi processor
> Mac, but is will handle it as long as you are prepared to wait for
> filters to run etc., and don't keep to many levels of changes. With the
> solid state HDD it is much quicker than a mechanical HDD when spooling
> to disk - as it must when working with large raw files. It does handle
> SilkyPix fine though, for managing raw files. I use it mostly for
> tethered shooting, not for any real post processing. I use it on a mount
> that attaches to my tripod, a mount sold through a GPS/SatNav store for
> mounting vehicular GPS devices.
>
> Secret Squirrel

We use a small laptop.

Sheila

David J Taylor

Sheila wrote:
> clandestin_écureuil wrote:
>> Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
>>> digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for
>>> travelling. You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD
>>> burner for backups. But how suitable are these machines for image
>>> processing? You might want/need to do some image processing while
>>> travelling.

>> I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a
>> much longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom
>> processor is much faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my
>> multi processor Mac, but is will handle it as long as you are
>> prepared to wait for filters to run etc., and don't keep to many
>> levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it is much quicker than
>> a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must when working
>> with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
>> managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for
>> any real post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my
>> tripod, a mount sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting
>> vehicular GPS devices. Secret Squirrel
>>

> We use a small laptop.
>
> Sheila

Same here - the "netbook" might be OK for Web browsing, but I want the
ability to store lots of data, quick CPU, work with standard Windows
programs, have a display at least 768 pixels tall which I can see clearly,
and a few USB ports to talk to my GPS etc.

David

measekite

David J Taylor wrote:
> Sheila wrote:
>
>> clandestin_écureuil wrote:

>>> I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a
>>> much longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom
>>> processor is much faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my
>>> multi processor Mac, but is will handle it as long as you are
>>> prepared to wait for filters to run etc., and don't keep to many
>>> levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it is much quicker than
>>> a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must when working
>>> with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
>>> managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for
>>> any real post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my
>>> tripod, a mount sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting
>>> vehicular GPS devices. Secret Squirrel
>>>

>> We use a small laptop.
>>
>> Sheila
>>

> Same here - the "netbook" might be OK for Web browsing, but I want the
> ability to store lots of data, quick CPU, work with standard Windows
> programs, have a display at least 768 pixels tall which I can see clearly,
> and a few USB ports to talk to my GPS etc.
>
> David

Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
hassles?

David J Taylor

measekite wrote:
[]
> Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
> hassles?

Yes, I even have some FreeBSD running here. But, what hassles? All the
photo-processing software I have works reliably on Windows, and there are
no Linux versions. Today's Windows versions (XP and Vista) are stable and
reliable, and they don't come in a dozen incompatible variants. Linux
would gain me nothing, and lose me quite a lot.

David

Re: Netbooks §ñühw¤£f Computer Support 0 12-27-2008 04:11 PM
Netbooks: Opportunity for Windows, Threat to Linux impossible NZ Computing 9 11-14-2008 01:38 AM
Market for netbooks swings to Windows XP over Linux impossible NZ Computing 22 10-18-2008 04:41 PM
A Tale Of Two Netbooks Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 1 10-09-2008 07:47 AM
Re: Netbooks SMS Digital Photography 0 09-08-2008 05:20 PM

Advertisments