Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Unusual Problem With DVD+RW Disc

Re: Unusual Problem With DVD+RW Disc

Paul Heslop

Jack wrote:

> Bought a spindle of Memorex. The Lite-On recorder/player rejected
> five of them outright but the other 20 have recorded and re-recorded
> TV shows OK so far .... until last night.
>
> The disc read OK so I programmed a show. This morning, the timer
> screen said that the recording was "done," in other words,
> successful. But the disc wouldn't play on either the player/recorder
> downstairs or the player upstairs.
>
> In fact, the upstairs player shuts off and says "no disc" and the
> player/recorder downstairs says "invalid disc." Other discs work OK.
>
> I missed a damn good movie. Have you ever heard of a disc going from
> acceptable to invalid while it sat in the recorder??

with -RW discs I've had them go invalid for no reason. I wouldn't have
been happy that the recorder rejected five in the first place. I would
question either the quality of discs or of the recorder itself.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Anim8rFSK

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jack wrote:
> >
> > Bought a spindle of Memorex. The Lite-On recorder/player rejected
> > five of them outright but the other 20 have recorded and re-recorded
> > TV shows OK so far .... until last night.
> >
> > The disc read OK so I programmed a show. This morning, the timer
> > screen said that the recording was "done," in other words,
> > successful. But the disc wouldn't play on either the player/recorder
> > downstairs or the player upstairs.
> >
> > In fact, the upstairs player shuts off and says "no disc" and the
> > player/recorder downstairs says "invalid disc." Other discs work OK.
> >
> > I missed a damn good movie. Have you ever heard of a disc going from
> > acceptable to invalid while it sat in the recorder??

> with -RW discs I've had them go invalid for no reason. I wouldn't have
> been happy that the recorder rejected five in the first place. I would
> question either the quality of discs or of the recorder itself.

I just got a Sony VRD-MC5. It made a LOT of coasters until I finally
figured out what was going on.

The premium bundles, like Encore and HBO, are carrying some sort of
signal it doesn't like. If you play a recording from one of those, or
even have one of them on in preview mode, the unit will mess up until
you unplug it and plug it in again. Mostly it says 'no input signal'
but it's done other wackiness as well.

--
Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.

It's an explanation, not an excuse!

Paul Heslop

Anim8rFSK wrote:

> I just got a Sony VRD-MC5. It made a LOT of coasters until I finally
> figured out what was going on.
>
> The premium bundles, like Encore and HBO, are carrying some sort of
> signal it doesn't like. If you play a recording from one of those, or
> even have one of them on in preview mode, the unit will mess up until
> you unplug it and plug it in again. Mostly it says 'no input signal'
> but it's done other wackiness as well.
>
> --
> Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
>
> It's an explanation, not an excuse!

I had a great deal of trouble here in the uk with my first dvd
recorder. It just chose what it would and wouldn't record at random,
but it would start the recording anyway, then just stop itself after
ten minutes or so. It was the same channels but none of them had any
signal to block recording.

I do wonder about Sony equipment as they're so hot on anti-pirating
etc, that they may deliberately make their machines over sensitive.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Anim8rFSK

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
>
> > I just got a Sony VRD-MC5. It made a LOT of coasters until I finally
> > figured out what was going on.
> >
> > The premium bundles, like Encore and HBO, are carrying some sort of
> > signal it doesn't like. If you play a recording from one of those, or
> > even have one of them on in preview mode, the unit will mess up until
> > you unplug it and plug it in again. Mostly it says 'no input signal'
> > but it's done other wackiness as well.
> >
> > --
> > Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
> >
> > It's an explanation, not an excuse!

> I had a great deal of trouble here in the uk with my first dvd
> recorder. It just chose what it would and wouldn't record at random,
> but it would start the recording anyway, then just stop itself after
> ten minutes or so. It was the same channels but none of them had any
> signal to block recording.
>
> I do wonder about Sony equipment as they're so hot on anti-pirating
> etc, that they may deliberately make their machines over sensitive.

Yeah, I got a lot of "runs 5 minutes and then fails" which is how I
ended up making so many coasters.

You can record a freeze frame from a premium channel all you want, so if
you have it stopped when you start the recorder, it will be fine until
you push 'play'

I agree that the unit is over sensitive.

--

Rick Merrill wrote:

> > I just got a Sony VRD-MC5. It made a LOT of coasters until I finally
> > figured out what was going on.
> >
> > The premium bundles, like Encore and HBO, are carrying some sort of
> > signal it doesn't like. If you play a recording from one of those, or
> > even have one of them on in preview mode, the unit will mess up until
> > you unplug it and plug it in again. Mostly it says 'no input signal'
> > but it's done other wackiness as well.
> >

> Right! It is not the disk -rw, it is the drive AND the signal that you
> are trying to record which is copy-protected! The drives are SUPPOSED to
> do this sort of thing. It's not your granfather's infernal combustion
> engine anymore.

doesn't make it right, why bother to make a recording device then
limit its abilities?

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

William December Starr

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Rick Merrill wrote:
>
>> Right! It is not the disk -rw, it is the drive AND the signal
>> that you are trying to record which is copy-protected! The
>> drives are SUPPOSED to do this sort of thing. It's not your
>> granfather's infernal combustion engine anymore.

> doesn't make it right, why bother to make a recording device then
> limit its abilities?

Because that way they avoid all sorts of problems with powerful
organizations who _want_ the limitations, while still being able to
sell the resultant crapware to powerless groups like us end-users.

-- wds

Paul Heslop

William December Starr wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > Rick Merrill wrote:
> >
> >> Right! It is not the disk -rw, it is the drive AND the signal
> >> that you are trying to record which is copy-protected! The
> >> drives are SUPPOSED to do this sort of thing. It's not your
> >> granfather's infernal combustion engine anymore.

> > doesn't make it right, why bother to make a recording device then
> > limit its abilities?

> Because that way they avoid all sorts of problems with powerful
> organizations who _want_ the limitations, while still being able to
> sell the resultant crapware to powerless groups like us end-users.
>
> -- wds

about the size of it