Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Half speed wireless, full speed wired?

Half speed wireless, full speed wired?

ChasX

I have a DSL modem connected to a linksys 4 port switch with wireless
capabilities(802.11B), 3 computers ,2 wired directly to the switch(one Vista,
one XP prof.), and an IBM laptop with a Microsoft MN-720 card(running XP
Prof.). The signal to the laptop is exceptionally strong. I was running 6
MB downloads to the wired computers(good numbers etc). I received 3Mb d.l. to
the wireless laptop. I wire the laptop to the switch and receive 6MB. I
upgraded to a 12 MB connection and the wired computers d.l. at 12 MB, but the
laptop receives 6MB (1/2 actually). I wired the laptop to the switch and
received 12 MB d.l. Is there a reason for the 1/2 speed d.l. on the laptop.
Incidentally the wireless is encrypted but I repeated all of the above
without encryption with the same results. I repeated this whole exercise on
a different system and a different carrier with the same results. It seems
as though the MN-720 card is not configured properly and I can't figure out
how to configure it. Your help would be appreciated.
thankyou very much . chas

The Seabat

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:50:01 -0700, ChasX
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I have a DSL modem connected to a linksys 4 port switch with wireless
>>capabilities(802.11B), 3 computers ,2 wired directly to the switch(one Vista,
>>one XP prof.), and an IBM laptop with a Microsoft MN-720 card(running XP
>>Prof.). The signal to the laptop is exceptionally strong. I was running 6
>>MB downloads to the wired computers(good numbers etc). I received 3Mb d.l. to
>>the wireless laptop. I wire the laptop to the switch and receive 6MB. I
>>upgraded to a 12 MB connection and the wired computers d.l. at 12 MB, but the
>>laptop receives 6MB (1/2 actually). I wired the laptop to the switch and
>>received 12 MB d.l. Is there a reason for the 1/2 speed d.l. on the laptop.
>>Incidentally the wireless is encrypted but I repeated all of the above
>>without encryption with the same results. I repeated this whole exercise on
>>a different system and a different carrier with the same results. It seems
>>as though the MN-720 card is not configured properly and I can't figure out
>>how to configure it. Your help would be appreciated.
>>thankyou very much . chas

Before you do any configuring, you might want to do a web search on
comparing speeds between wireless and wired.
--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Groupies with extreme prejudice!

Barb Bowman

802.11b is your problem. 6-8 is about as good as it gets over "b"
wireless. The MN720 is a "g" card. With a "g" or draft N wireless
router you should see 22-24 at best.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP