Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Limited or No Connectivity Message

Limited or No Connectivity Message

JohnK

I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.

My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network just
fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that the
network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message: The
connection has limited or no connectivity.

When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited or
no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the computer.

It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.

Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Try to repress the fact that it worked before, think about it as a new
installation.
Go over all he Wireless variables and make sure that they are the same as
the Wireless source.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
>computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>
> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network just
> fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that the
> network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message: The
> connection has limited or no connectivity.
>
> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited or
> no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
> computer.
>
> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>
> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

Pavel A.

The "No Connectivity" message means simply that
though the assosiation was successful and the
link state is up ("connected"), an IP
address can't be obtained from DHCP.
This sometimes means problem with encryption
settings.

--PA

JohnK wrote:
> I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
> computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>
> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network just
> fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that the
> network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message: The
> connection has limited or no connectivity.
>
> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited or
> no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the computer.
>
> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>
> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

Ted

"JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
>computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>
> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network just
> fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that the
> network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message: The
> connection has limited or no connectivity.
>
> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited or
> no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
> computer.
>
> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>
> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

Did you get any IBM updates around the same time? I had some updates from
them and it screwed up my wireless and USB ports. Ended up doing a system
restore to get everything back. YMMV
Ted

JohnK

Thanks for the response. I am not aware that I received any IBM updates. I
will try the Restore to an earlier date.

Since you have an IBM I'll ask another question though. But I can try and
earlier Restore point and see what happens.

When I initially set up my wireless, I just followed the suggested routine
that came with a new laptop. Now, in order to access my wireless network, I
have to go to change advanced settings, then click on let Windows manage my
settings and then I can get to my network (before my latest problem).

I assume there is some IBM wireless software that is running everytime I
start up but I haven't been able to find it.

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
>>computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>>
>> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network
>> just fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that
>> the network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message:
>> The connection has limited or no connectivity.
>>
>> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
>> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited
>> or no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
>> computer.
>>
>> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>>
>> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?
>>

> Did you get any IBM updates around the same time? I had some updates from
> them and it screwed up my wireless and USB ports. Ended up doing a system
> restore to get everything back. YMMV
> Ted

JohnK

Thanks for the response. I will check my encryption settings.

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The "No Connectivity" message means simply that
> though the assosiation was successful and the
> link state is up ("connected"), an IP
> address can't be obtained from DHCP.
> This sometimes means problem with encryption
> settings.
>
> --PA
>

> JohnK wrote:
>> I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
>> computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>>
>> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network
>> just fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that
>> the network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message:
>> The connection has limited or no connectivity.
>>
>> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
>> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited
>> or no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
>> computer.
>>
>> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>>
>> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

JohnK

Thanks for the response. It will take me awhile to check all this out.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Try to repress the fact that it worked before, think about it as a new
> installation.
> Go over all he Wireless variables and make sure that they are the same as
> the Wireless source.
> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
>>computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>>
>> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network
>> just fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that
>> the network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message:
>> The connection has limited or no connectivity.
>>
>> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
>> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited
>> or no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
>> computer.
>>
>> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>>
>> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

Ted

Letting Windows manage the connection should be sufficient. IBM uses IBM
Access Connections located in the Start Menu under Access IBM. You also
might check for the latest driver for your wireless card on the IBM web
site.
Ted

"JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the response. I am not aware that I received any IBM updates.
> I will try the Restore to an earlier date.
>
> Since you have an IBM I'll ask another question though. But I can try and
> earlier Restore point and see what happens.
>
> When I initially set up my wireless, I just followed the suggested routine
> that came with a new laptop. Now, in order to access my wireless network,
> I have to go to change advanced settings, then click on let Windows manage
> my settings and then I can get to my network (before my latest problem).
>
> I assume there is some IBM wireless software that is running everytime I
> start up but I haven't been able to find it.
>

> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "JohnK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
>>>computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
>>>
>>> My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network
>>> just fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC
>>> that the network is there and the signal strong but I also get the
>>> message: The connection has limited or no connectivity.
>>>
>>> When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
>>> tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited
>>> or no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please help me with this challenge?
>>>

>> Did you get any IBM updates around the same time? I had some updates
>> from them and it screwed up my wireless and USB ports. Ended up doing a
>> system restore to get everything back. YMMV
>> Ted

JohnK

As it turned out, with the help of Linksys, I had to change back from a 128
byte code to a 64 byte security code.

Thanks for your response.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...