Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > ModelSim Newbie , Need Help in Simulation

ModelSim Newbie , Need Help in Simulation

KellyB

Hi,

I'm new to testbenches so I set a goal to get some examples
to work under ModelSim PE Student Edition 6.4.

I'm trying to do the simplest of things - to simulate a vhdl file.
However once compiled, I have no objects hence nothing that can be added
to the waveform.

I get no errors at all, just no objects after I compile. I see the file
under my library, I can click on the testbench file and it opens
in SIM but objects window is simply empty.

Please Help !!!

rickman

KellyB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to testbenches so I set a goal to get some examples
> to work under ModelSim PE Student Edition 6.4.
>
> I'm trying to do the simplest of things - to simulate a vhdl file.
> However once compiled, I have no objects hence nothing that can be added
> to the waveform.
>
> I get no errors at all, just no objects after I compile. I see the file
> under my library, I can click on the testbench file and it opens
> in SIM but objects window is simply empty.

I don't recall ModelSim exactly, but in ActiveHDL there is a view of
files and a separate view of the compiled entities. Can you see any
tabs for a different view or is there another window you can open?

Rick

KellyB

rickman wrote:
> KellyB wrote:

...snip..

>> I get no errors at all, just no objects after I compile. I see the file
>> under my library, I can click on the testbench file and it opens
>> in SIM but objects window is simply empty.

> I don't recall ModelSim exactly, but in ActiveHDL there is a view of
> files and a separate view of the compiled entities. Can you see any
> tabs for a different view or is there another window you can open?
>
> Rick

Thanks for the reply.
After some tinkering , i've managed to obtain the compiled objects but
now i have a different problem.

# Compile of test.v was successful.
vsim test.v
# vsim test.v
# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'test' at "test".
# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)
# Error loading design

Can anyone using ModelSim Please help ?

smqasim

On Aug 25, 10:28*pm, KellyB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> rickman wrote:
> > KellyB wrote:

> ..snip..
>
> >> I get no errors at all, just no objects after I compile. I see the file
> >> under my library, I can click on the testbench file and it opens
> >> in SIM but objects window is simply empty.

> > I don't recall ModelSim exactly, but in ActiveHDL there is a view of
> > files and a separate view of the compiled entities. *Can you see any
> > tabs for a different view or is there another window you can open?

> > Rick

> Thanks for the reply.
> After some tinkering , i've managed to obtain the compiled objects but
> now i have a different problem.
>
> # Compile of test.v was successful.
> vsim test.v
> # vsim test.v
> # ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'test' at "test".
> # No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)
> # Error loading design
>

> Can anyone using ModelSim Please help ?

Did you save your verilog or vhdl file under the working directory.
If not thn do it, hope it will solve the problem

KellyB

smqasim wrote:
> On Aug 25, 10:28 pm, KellyB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> rickman wrote:
>>> KellyB wrote:

>> ..snip..

>>> I don't recall ModelSim exactly, but in ActiveHDL there is a view of
>>> files and a separate view of the compiled entities. Can you see any
>>> tabs for a different view or is there another window you can open?
>>> Rick

>> Thanks for the reply.
>> After some tinkering , i've managed to obtain the compiled objects but
>> now i have a different problem.
>>
>> # Compile of test.v was successful.
>> vsim test.v
>> # vsim test.v
>> # ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'test' at "test".
>> # No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)
>> # Error loading design
>>

>> Can anyone using ModelSim Please help ?

> Did you save your verilog or vhdl file under the working directory.
> If not thn do it, hope it will solve the problem

Thanks rickman and smqasim (I'm Sorry I don't know the names) for the
reply. I've managed to pin down the issue. Its working fine now.

Thanks Again