Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Password protecting areas

Password protecting areas

Jon Agiato

Hello all,
I am new to ASP.NET and web development in general so please excuse the
simplicity of the question. I want to be able to password protect certain
portions on a web site. I am thinking that one would store the passwords in
a database on the server, and simply check the users entry against the
existing passes but that is just a guess. I am asking for a link, or
directions on how to accomplish this basic task, and of course, any tips or
comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Jon Agiato
AOL IM: agiatojon

John Saunders

"Jon Agiato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I_P1b.31164$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
> I am new to ASP.NET and web development in general so please excuse the
> simplicity of the question. I want to be able to password protect certain
> portions on a web site. I am thinking that one would store the passwords

in
> a database on the server, and simply check the users entry against the
> existing passes but that is just a guess. I am asking for a link, or
> directions on how to accomplish this basic task, and of course, any tips

or
> comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You may want to take a look at the following on MSDN: Forms Authentication
Provider
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...-us/cpguide/ht
ml/cpconformsauthenticationacrossapplications.asp).

--
John Saunders
Internet Engineer

Jon Agiato

"John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jon Agiato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:I_P1b.31164$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> > I am new to ASP.NET and web development in general so please excuse the
> > simplicity of the question. I want to be able to password protect

certain
> > portions on a web site. I am thinking that one would store the

passwords
> in
> > a database on the server, and simply check the users entry against the
> > existing passes but that is just a guess. I am asking for a link, or
> > directions on how to accomplish this basic task, and of course, any tips

> or
> > comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

> You may want to take a look at the following on MSDN: Forms Authentication
> Provider

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...-us/cpguide/ht
> ml/cpconformsauthenticationacrossapplications.asp).
>
> --
> John Saunders
> Internet Engineer
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thanks for the pointer John. Have a good day.

--
Jon Agiato
(E-Mail Removed)

password protecting a folder don HTML 33 01-16-2010 06:38 AM
password protecting a page Phil Hellmuth ASP .Net 4 05-04-2007 01:52 PM
password protecting on page on a site RainLover HTML 1 08-04-2004 02:37 PM
Password Protecting a Page Michael HTML 2 04-18-2004 08:44 PM
Password protecting folders and content in Win2k MErC Computer Support 3 01-09-2004 05:32 PM

Advertisments