Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > x.509 Certificates

x.509 Certificates

GaryDean

I have to write an asp.net app that uses a web service requiring x.509
certificates. Are there any good docs on how to do this both in code and on
the server. Most of the stuff I'm finding through google is old 1.1 docs.
I have the certificate.

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Much of that will still work, although another option is to look at WCF docs
with SOAP as the transport mechanism. The consumption is very similar and it
may also convince you that WCF is a better model for you, as you can create
binary contracts for your own consumption, while still leaving the SOAP
contracts for people outside of your domain.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:

| Think outside the box! |
"GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have to write an asp.net app that uses a web service requiring x.509
>certificates. Are there any good docs on how to do this both in code and
>on the server. Most of the stuff I'm finding through google is old 1.1
>docs. I have the certificate.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Gary Blakely

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

As for using Certificate in Webservice, I'd like to confirm the detailed
problem scenario in your environment.

Generally, you can use x509 certificate for authentication via using the
https/ssl transport layer security. For example, you can setup the
webservice in IIS to se ssl/https. And you can supply certificate in client
code (if server-side require client to provide certificate). Here are some
reference article on this:

#How to call a Web service by using a client certificate for authentication
in an ASP.NET Web application
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=901183

#Using client certificates with ASP.NET
http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../30/64516.aspx

If you want to use X509 certificate to perform custom security (such as
encryption or signing), ASP.NET webservice doesn't directly certificate
integrity. There is an add-on component called "Web Service Enhancement"
(so far the latest version is 3.0 for .net framework 2.0). You can use it
to add certiciate and message layer securityt functionality for your
Webservice:

#Security Features in WSE 3.0

#Implementing Message Layer Security with X.509 Certificates in WSE 3.0

BTW, will WCF also be a possible option for you as Gregory suggested? So
far WSE is not updating and WCF provide more support on security such as
certificate.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
>From: "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: x.509 Certificates
>Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:40:17 -0700

>I have to write an asp.net app that uses a web service requiring x.509
>certificates. Are there any good docs on how to do this both in code and

on
>the server. Most of the stuff I'm finding through google is old 1.1 docs.
>I have the certificate.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Gary Blakely

GaryDean

Steven:
The article 901183 is one of those excellent "how to" articles but, like all
the others, it is for WSE 2.0. All I can find for WSE 3.0 is MSDN docs and
a book (that I ordered). Maybe this is the time to jump into WCF. Thanks
for all these links.

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely
"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gary,
>
> As for using Certificate in Webservice, I'd like to confirm the detailed
> problem scenario in your environment.
>
> Generally, you can use x509 certificate for authentication via using the
> https/ssl transport layer security. For example, you can setup the
> webservice in IIS to se ssl/https. And you can supply certificate in
> client
> code (if server-side require client to provide certificate). Here are some
> reference article on this:
>

> #How to call a Web service by using a client certificate for
> authentication
> in an ASP.NET Web application
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=901183
>
> #Using client certificates with ASP.NET
> http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../30/64516.aspx
>
> If you want to use X509 certificate to perform custom security (such as
> encryption or signing), ASP.NET webservice doesn't directly certificate
> integrity. There is an add-on component called "Web Service Enhancement"
> (so far the latest version is 3.0 for .net framework 2.0). You can use it
> to add certiciate and message layer securityt functionality for your
> Webservice:
>
> #Security Features in WSE 3.0
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300773.aspx
>
> #Implementing Message Layer Security with X.509 Certificates in WSE 3.0
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480581.aspx
>
> BTW, will WCF also be a possible option for you as Gregory suggested? So
> far WSE is not updating and WCF provide more support on security such as
> certificate.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.

> http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.
> rights.
>

> --------------------
>>From: "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Subject: x.509 Certificates
>>Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:40:17 -0700

>>I have to write an asp.net app that uses a web service requiring x.509
>>certificates. Are there any good docs on how to do this both in code and

> on
>>the server. Most of the stuff I'm finding through google is old 1.1 docs.
>>I have the certificate.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Gary Blakely

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Gary,

For WSE 3.0, most of the examples and quick start reference has been
included in the SDK (document and samples), you can download it and install
with full version to get them.

#Web Services Enhancements (WSE) 3.0 for Microsoft .NET
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9fd-3a74-43c5-
8ec1-8d789091255d&displaylang=en

and here is another blog entry which include some further get started
resource:

#So you want to learn WSE 3.0? A short primer on how and where to start.
http://blogs.msdn.com/mfussell/archi...25/607820.aspx

--------
>From: "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: x.509 Certificates
>Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:44:50 -0700

>Steven:
>The article 901183 is one of those excellent "how to" articles but, like

all
>the others, it is for WSE 2.0. All I can find for WSE 3.0 is MSDN docs

and
>a book (that I ordered). Maybe this is the time to jump into WCF. Thanks
>for all these links.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Gary Blakely
>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> As for using Certificate in Webservice, I'd like to confirm the detailed
>> problem scenario in your environment.
>>
>> Generally, you can use x509 certificate for authentication via using the
>> https/ssl transport layer security. For example, you can setup the
>> webservice in IIS to se ssl/https. And you can supply certificate in
>> client
>> code (if server-side require client to provide certificate). Here are

some
>> reference article on this:
>>

>> #How to call a Web service by using a client certificate for
>> authentication
>> in an ASP.NET Web application
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=901183
>>
>> #Using client certificates with ASP.NET
>> http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../30/64516.aspx
>>
>> If you want to use X509 certificate to perform custom security (such as
>> encryption or signing), ASP.NET webservice doesn't directly certificate
>> integrity. There is an add-on component called "Web Service Enhancement"
>> (so far the latest version is 3.0 for .net framework 2.0). You can use

it
>> to add certiciate and message layer securityt functionality for your
>> Webservice:
>>
>> #Security Features in WSE 3.0
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300773.aspx
>>
>> #Implementing Message Layer Security with X.509 Certificates in WSE 3.0
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480581.aspx
>>
>> BTW, will WCF also be a possible option for you as Gregory suggested? So
>> far WSE is not updating and WCF provide more support on security such as
>> certificate.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and

Please
>> (E-Mail Removed).

issues

follow
>> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
>> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
>> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
>> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.
>> rights.
>>

>> --------------------
>>>From: "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>Subject: x.509 Certificates
>>>Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:40:17 -0700

>>>I have to write an asp.net app that uses a web service requiring x.509
>>>certificates. Are there any good docs on how to do this both in code and

>> on
>>>the server. Most of the stuff I'm finding through google is old 1.1

docs.
>>>I have the certificate.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards,
>>>Gary Blakely

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Have you tried the examples in the WSE 3.0 sdk or do you have any further
questions on this?

-