Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Adding wireless to a wired Network

Adding wireless to a wired Network

powerwalk

Really need some input on this one.

I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running thru
the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
network between them.

I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using its
wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops. I’ve
read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I get
confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.

Thanks for any help.

Redleg6

I would recommend trading in your present router for one with wireless
capability. Most, if not all, home routers have a switch for your wire
connections and antenna's for wireless. I think you can get one for $50 or
less. Easier and less expensive than getting an AP.

Make sure you set up security with at least WPA that both the router and new
laptop should support.

"powerwalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Really need some input on this one.
>
> I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
> connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running
> thru
> the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
> network between them.
>
> I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using
> its
> wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops. I've
> read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I
> get
> confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Pavel A.

"powerwalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Really need some input on this one.
>
> I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
> connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running
> thru
> the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
> network between them.
>
> I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using
> its
> wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops.
> I've
> read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I
> get
> confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.

By all means, check out the powerline network adapters, like this:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533

It is not exactly wireless techology but:
- confusion free and still secure
- no-brainer easy to setup and use
- costs only slightly more than cheap wi-fi adapters.

Regards,
--PA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Assuming that your are in North America. Wire or Wireless Routers cost the
same, and both cost much less than an Access Point.
So get a new Wireless Router and either replace the current Router, or leave
the network as is, and use the Wireless Router as an Access Point.
Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"powerwalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Really need some input on this one.
>
> I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
> connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running
> thru
> the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
> network between them.
>
> I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using
> its
> wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops. I’ve
> read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I
> get
> confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.
>
> Thanks for any help.

powerwalk

Thanks to all who took the time to share their networking knowledge with me.
Your input is sincerely appreciated.