Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Validator program

Validator program

Jim S

In a recent crash I lost an application called ??validator (? means I
don't remember).
It was a three column screen where you cam enter the site and validate a
single page or a whole site on W3C. The results appear in green in the
middle column and any errors in red.
Cannot find it with a Google - any ideas?
NB It is not an online validator as they won't do more than ~100 pages
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Jim S

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:29:48 -0500, jACK wrote:

> Jim
>
> Could it be CSE HTML Validator. Cost around $50-$60 if I remember
> right. I use it and wouldn't trade it for any other Validator
> program.
>
> Jack
>

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:31:26 GMT, Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In a recent crash I lost an application called ??validator (? means I
>>don't remember).
>>It was a three column screen where you cam enter the site and validate a
>>single page or a whole site on W3C. The results appear in green in the
>>middle column and any errors in red.
>>Cannot find it with a Google - any ideas?
>>NB It is not an online validator as they won't do more than ~100 pages

I downloaded the free version of that and it does not appear the same -
unless I had an older version.
The one I had, had a input box at the top left and radio buttons below to
opt for single page or whole site.
Below that was another box that I never used and mention of a 'spider'. At
the bottom left was the start button.
The centre panel was empty until the green and red page references began to
appear. The numbers of 'failed' site appeared in orange at the bottom of
this centre panel.
When a page failed the validation the reason for ot appeared in the right
hand panel HTML at the top and CSS below.
Does any of this sound familiar?
BTW The actual markup did not appear and corrections had to be made
elsewhere and rechecked.

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Jukka K. Korpela

jACK wrote:

> Could it be CSE HTML Validator. Cost around $50-$60 if I remember
> right. I use it and wouldn't trade it for any other Validator
> program.
>
> Jack

Previously the author of that fake validator used to advertize it in Usenet
groups, without hardly ever giving any other contribution. People used to
explain (to novices - the author did not care, since he has decided to sell
his product dishonestly) that it is not a validator at all and gives plain
wrong error messages, in addition to misleading and irrelevant warnings
(with some real error messages scattered around just to confuse us).

Maybe he now decided to use a fake name and fake address as well - that
would be in accordance with the fakeness of the product.

Tim Streater

In article <Z5csk.54996$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jACK wrote:
>
> > Could it be CSE HTML Validator. Cost around $50-$60 if I remember
> > right. I use it and wouldn't trade it for any other Validator
> > program.
> >
> > Jack

> Previously the author of that fake validator used to advertize ...

advertise (I'm a validator program).

Jonathan N. Little

Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <Z5csk.54996$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> jACK wrote:
>>
>>> Could it be CSE HTML Validator. Cost around $50-$60 if I remember
>>> right. I use it and wouldn't trade it for any other Validator
>>> program.
>>>
>>> Jack

>> Previously the author of that fake validator used to advertize ...

> advertise (I'm a validator program).

Not sure your point.

adverti*s*e US spelling vs adverti*z*e UK?

Or that the program, regardless it's useful or not, is a *linter* not a
*validator* therefor it not accurately named.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Sherm Pendley

jACK <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Sorry Jukka, I don't know what to say about your rant.

A lot of us feel the same way - but in this case the rant is accurate
and well-deserved.

> The CSE program is the only one I've ever used.

It's not a validator. The author claims that it is one, and that gets
a lot of people's undies in a knot. That's not to say that it isn't a
useful tool - it is. It's the deliberately misleading name that's the
problem here.

> My website has well over 1000 pages with over 2000 images. Believe
> me, if I was using a bad Validator, I would know it.

You might want to rethink that statement. CSE is a useful program -
but it's not a validator at all, much less a good or bad one, and it's
obvious from your comment that you did *not* know that.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

Jukka K. Korpela

jACK wrote:

> Sorry Jukka, I don't know what to say about your rant.
> I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

Oh I think we know it well.

> The CSE program is the only one I've ever used.

Yet you claim to know that it is the best.

Sounds familiar. Isn't Albert your real name?

Yucca

Sherm Pendley

jACK <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Sorry, I really don't know what to say to you guys here.

How about "gee, I didn't know that, thanks for the tip"?

Seriously, I don't see any reason for you to get defensive and cop an
attitude about his. You're the victim here - you were sold something
that calls itself a validator, and you believed the label. The fault
belongs to the guy who mislabeled it - no one is criticizing you for
that. Well, Jukka is... but he criticizes *everybody*, so don't take
that personally.

> Besides, I was only trying to help a guy that was trying to replace
> his program.

Good for you! Seriously - I mean that. Not enough people care enough
to help others these days.

Having said that, your motivation says nothing one way or another
about whether CSE is a validator. The fact that you've been using it
with all the best intentions won't magically make CSE into something
that it's not.

> I know what I have

Apparently not, if you think CSE is a validator.

> What IS a validation program, and give me some names.

Validation is verifying an SGML or XML document type against a
DTD. CSE doesn't use a DTD; it uses a different process, that is more
accurately called a lint checker.

The W3C has an online validator:
<http://validator.w3.org/>

There's an HTML Validator extension for FireFox, that uses the same
underlying code as the W3C's:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/249>

The Web Design Group's validator is based on nsgmls parser, and is
available both online and for local checking:
<http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>

> Put up or shut up.

What's with the hostility? Are you always this rude with people who
try to help you learn something new?

sherm--

--

jACK <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I see some opinions tho. CSE does the validating I need and it stays
> update and current. It is my Validator.

The correct definition of a word is not a matter of opinion. What CSE
does is not validating. That doesn't mean it's not useful - a lint
checker can and usually is useful.

> Only after the 3rd or fourth time they rant at me

I'm not ranting about anything, I'm simply pointing out the facts: A
validator, in the correct definition of the word as it's used with
respect to SGML and XML, performs the specific function of parsing a
DTD and using that to assess the validity of a document.

CSE does not perform that function, hence it is not a validator. It
would be better described as a "lint checker" - a useful tool, to be
sure, but not what CSE's author claims it is.

Think of it this way - gasoline and diesel perform roughly similar
functions. And yet, you'd be rather angry at the station owner if the
pump that said "gasoline" in fact was pumping diesel, wouldn't you? If
you saw someone pulling up to the same pump, getting ready to fill
their tank, wouldn't you stop and warn them that they won't get what
the labels says they'll get?

> I explained above. I wasn't trying to be hostile. I was just trying
> to help some one and I get all these opinions, not help for the guy
> with the question.

The guy with the question asked for a validator. How is it not helpful
to speak up when someone mistakenly suggests an app that is not, in
fact, what the guy wanted?

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

C A Upsdell

jACK wrote:
> What IS a validation program, and give me some names.
>
> Put up or shut up.

You may find this useful:

http://www.arealvalidator.com/real-validation.html