Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > page just won't display

page just won't display

thedarkman

I finally bought a domain for the sight searchlightarchive.com; I've
had a few problems which were down to their server but one problem
persists. See this file:

http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_...blio_1997.html

this displays perfectly, but

http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_...blio_1994.html

gives only an error message; I've checked everything; the filename is
correct and it is coded properly, or at the very least coded the same
as the others in the series. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

Neredbojias

On 22 Aug 2008, thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I finally bought a domain for the sight searchlightarchive.com; I've
> had a few problems which were down to their server but one problem
> persists. See this file:
>
> http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_...blio_1997.html
>
> this displays perfectly, but
>
> http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_...blio_1994.html
>
> gives only an error message; I've checked everything; the filename is
> correct and it is coded properly, or at the very least coded the same
> as the others in the series. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Yeah, the second one is broken.

Anyway, Crystal Ballsache says try re-uploading on the off-chance it was put
on the server in binary by mistake.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.net/

Jonathan N. Little

Matteo wrote:
> Il Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:09:16 -0700, thedarkman ha scritto:
>

>> http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_...blio_1994.html
>>
>> gives only an error message;

> I had the same problem once. The server wanted the +x permission for html
> files.

I don't believe that, unless the page is a script!

More likely scenarios:

1) corrupted upload.
2) uploaded as binary instead of ascii.
3) case miss-match, often from uploading from case-ignorant Windows to
case-sensitive *nix server
4) hidden none-printing character in filename (rare but have seen its
occurrence)

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-08-22, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Matteo wrote:
>> Il Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:09:16 -0700, thedarkman ha scritto:
>>

>>> http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_...blio_1994.html
>>>
>>> gives only an error message;

>> I had the same problem once. The server wanted the +x permission for html
>> files.

> I don't believe that, unless the page is a script!

Some servers allow .html (as opposed to .shtml) files to have
server-side includes when the execute bit is set (the x-bit hack).

Author:

thedarkman

Hi, I've been informed by the host that this is because th site
contains a forbidden word: porn, if you cab believe that.

Better not try uploading any chess games.

On 23 Aug, 01:49, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-08-22, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
> > Matteo wrote:

> >> I had the same problem once. The server wanted the +x permission for html
> >> files.

> > I don't believe that, unless the page is a script!

> * * Some servers allow .html (as opposed to .shtml) files to have
> * * server-side includes when the execute bit is set (the x-bit hack)..

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi, I've been informed by the host that this is because th site
> contains a forbidden word: porn, if you cab believe that.
>
> Better not try uploading any chess games.

It is spelt "pawn" in chess, so it will be ok, trust me.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

On 22 Aug 2008, thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi, I've been informed by the host that this is because th site
> contains a forbidden word: porn, if you cab believe that.

Ergo, your pages are censored by some prude asshole whose philosophy is
little different than nazism in scope. Oh, how self-righteous be these
"Little Self-Appointed Gods".

Get a new host. -Quickly.

--
Neredbojias