Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

Gregg Hill

Hello!

I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
problem.

I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem
with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired, the
laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it cannot browse the web,
but it can ping by IP and by domain name.

It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest from
Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a Netgear WGR614
wireless router with its latest firmware.

I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection or
using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior. What is
so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but browsing does
not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a mail server on
port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an update. It actually just
loaded Google, but only several minutes after opening IE7 (same result with
Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a remote control application that
normally takes a few seconds to reconnect if the computer is rebooted (it
does reconnect quickly to me when hard-wired) but it takes over 10 minutes
to reconnect via her wireless connection.

What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug in a
cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as Winsock to
no avail.

Any gurus with ideas?

Thank you!

Gregg Hill

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.

After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> Hello!
>
> I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
> problem.
>
> I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem
> with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired, the
> laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it cannot browse the web,
> but it can ping by IP and by domain name.
>
> It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest from
> Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a Netgear
> WGR614 wireless router with its latest firmware.
>
> I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection or
> using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior. What
> is so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but browsing
> does not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a mail server
> on port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an update. It actually
> just loaded Google, but only several minutes after opening IE7 (same
> result with Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a remote control
> application that normally takes a few seconds to reconnect if the computer
> is rebooted (it does reconnect quickly to me when hard-wired) but it takes
> over 10 minutes to reconnect via her wireless connection.
>
> What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug in
> a cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as Winsock
> to no avail.
>
> Any gurus with ideas?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gregg Hill

Gregg Hill

Robert,

What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to an
article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there was no
solution that I have not already tried.

Here are the steps I have taken:

Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
Used Windows wireless management
Used Intel ProSet wireless management
Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
Used latest Dell drivers
Used latest Intel drivers

I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that as a
possible cause.

Thank you for your help!

Gregg Hill

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.
>
> After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
>> problem.
>>
>> I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem
>> with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired,
>> the laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it cannot browse the
>> web, but it can ping by IP and by domain name.
>>
>> It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest from
>> Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a Netgear
>> WGR614 wireless router with its latest firmware.
>>
>> I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection
>> or using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior.
>> What is so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but
>> browsing does not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a
>> mail server on port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an update.
>> It actually just loaded Google, but only several minutes after opening
>> IE7 (same result with Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a remote
>> control application that normally takes a few seconds to reconnect if the
>> computer is rebooted (it does reconnect quickly to me when hard-wired)
>> but it takes over 10 minutes to reconnect via her wireless connection.
>>
>> What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug
>> in a cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as
>> Winsock to no avail.
>>
>> Any gurus with ideas?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Gregg Hill

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Do you use Microsoft WZC?

--
> [...]
>>>
>>> I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection
>>> or using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior.
>>> What is so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but
>>> browsing does not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a
>>> mail server on port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an
>>> update. It actually just loaded Google, but only several minutes after
>>> opening IE7 (same result with Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a
>>> remote control application that normally takes a few seconds to
>>> reconnect if the computer is rebooted (it does reconnect quickly to me
>>> when hard-wired) but it takes over 10 minutes to reconnect via her
>>> wireless connection.
>>>
>>> What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug
>>> in a cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as

Gregg Hill

Used Windows wireless management
Used Intel ProSet wireless management

Same result.

Gregg Hill

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Robert,
>>
>> What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to an
>> article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there was
>> no solution that I have not already tried.
>>
>> Here are the steps I have taken:
>>
>> Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
>> Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
>> Used Windows wireless management
>> Used Intel ProSet wireless management
>> Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
>> Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
>> Used latest Dell drivers
>> Used latest Intel drivers
>>
>> I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that
>> as a possible cause.
>>
>> Thank you for your help!
>>
>> Gregg Hill
>>

>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.
>>>
>>> After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
>>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Gregg Hill

I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
Intel wireless card.

http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm

Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
new ones do not.

I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and I'll
bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Please keep us update.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
>Intel wireless card.
>
> http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
>
> Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
> new ones do not.
>
> I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
> I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to
>>> an article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there
>>> was no solution that I have not already tried.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps I have taken:
>>>
>>> Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
>>> Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
>>> Used Windows wireless management
>>> Used Intel ProSet wireless management
>>> Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
>>> Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
>>> Used latest Dell drivers
>>> Used latest Intel drivers
>>>
>>> I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that
>>> as a possible cause.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help!
>>>
>>> Gregg Hill
>>>

>>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Pavel A.

Have you seen this?

<quote>
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
From: (E-Mail Removed)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Simple file sharing on Workgroup in XP

>If that works, the problem you described is probably caused by a registry
>setting. Run the registry editor on PC1 and open this key:
>HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

>Set the value RestrictAnonymous to 0. Reboot and try browsing PC1 again.

</quote>

--PA

"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
> Intel wireless card.
>
> http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
>
> Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
> new ones do not.
>
> I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
> I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to
>>> an article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there
>>> was no solution that I have not already tried.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps I have taken:
>>>
>>> Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
>>> Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
>>> Used Windows wireless management
>>> Used Intel ProSet wireless management
>>> Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
>>> Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
>>> Used latest Dell drivers
>>> Used latest Intel drivers
>>>
>>> I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that
>>> as a possible cause.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help!
>>>
>>> Gregg Hill
>>>

>>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Gregg Hill

No I did not, but what does it have to do with extremely slow wireless web
browsing? The RestrictAnonymous reg key is related to computers browsing
each other on a network, not a computer browsing the Internet, as far as I
know.

As I noted, my problem is with browsing the web when connected via wireless
vs. no problem when a cable is used.

Gregg

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you seen this?
>
> <quote>
> Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,
> microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
> From: (E-Mail Removed)
> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Simple file sharing on Workgroup in XP
>
>>If that works, the problem you described is probably caused by a registry
>>setting. Run the registry editor on PC1 and open this key:
>>HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

>>Set the value RestrictAnonymous to 0. Reboot and try browsing PC1 again.

> </quote>
>
> --PA
>

> "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
>> Intel wireless card.
>>
>> http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
>>
>> Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
>> new ones do not.
>>
>> I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
>> I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
>>
>> Gregg Hill
>>

>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Gregg Hill

Well, it is fixed.

I Googled some more and MANY found references to the Intel 2200BG, XP SP3,
WPA-PSK using TKIP encryption, and using the latest drivers. That is exactly
what I had.

I went there today and tried turning off the power mode on the laptop per
Intel's article, with no change. I then decided to try it without any
security, due to the Google search hits. It was fast and behaving normally.
I re-enabled the Netgear WGR614 v3 router's maximum encryption, which was
WPA-PSK with TKIP, even with the latest firmware, and tested again. Slow as
cold molasses!

It would again ping by IP or FQDN, but took REALLY LONG to connect to any
site in a browser. One Google search suggested older drivers, so I loaded
some old 2004 drivers. Presto! Normal fast web browsing...for about ten
minutes, then it BSOD'd on me! Several times.

At this point, I asked the client (a home user) to go buy another router
while I removed the old drivers causing the BSOD. Those old drivers only had
a max of WPA-PSK with TKIP, anyway. I recommended a Linksys WRT54G and he
came back with a Linksys WRT160N router. I set it up with WPA2-PSK and AES,
then removed the old drivers on the laptop and reinstalled the latest
drivers-only package (which did not work well before on the Netgear router)
and it works great. There is definitely a problem with the combination of
the Intel 2200BG with XP SP3 and WPA-PSK using TKIP encryption and using the
latest drivers.