Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Shame on Mozilla

Re: Shame on Mozilla

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-08-21, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> since Win98se? Aside from easier USB support, I can't think of any.

>> when I had win98, it had usb support.

> Win98 did not have USB support; that came with Win98SE. USB v1.0 only,
> though, so pack a lunch if you're planning on using it very much.

excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
installed and used it without problems.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

spamblocked@gmail.com

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Thompson wrote:

>>> when I had win98, it had usb support.

>> Win98 did not have USB support; that came with Win98SE. USB v1.0 only,
>> though, so pack a lunch if you're planning on using it very much.
>>

>excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
>installed and used it without problems.

Win98GOLD ?????
I never heard of that.....

I just entered that into Ebay and got zero results too.
I tried:
windows 98 Gold
win98 gold
win98gold

Was that an actual MS release, or something that could be added to 98?

By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> John Thompson wrote:

>>> Win98 did not have USB support; that came with Win98SE. USB v1.0 only,
>>> though, so pack a lunch if you're planning on using it very much.
>>>

>> excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
>> installed and used it without problems.

> Win98GOLD ?????
> I never heard of that.....
>
> I just entered that into Ebay and got zero results too.
> I tried:
> windows 98 Gold
> win98 gold
> win98gold
>
> Was that an actual MS release, or something that could be added to 98?
>
> By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
> fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

there were basically three releases of win98:

Win98 -- also known as win98 Gold
win98SE -- second edition
winME -- also known as win98TE -- third edition

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

spamblocked@gmail.com

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:27:19 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
>>> installed and used it without problems.

>> Win98GOLD ?????
>> I never heard of that.....
>>
>> I just entered that into Ebay and got zero results too.
>> I tried:
>> windows 98 Gold
>> win98 gold
>> win98gold
>>
>> Was that an actual MS release, or something that could be added to 98?
>>
>> By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
>> fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

>there were basically three releases of win98:
>
>Win98 -- also known as win98 Gold
>win98SE -- second edition
>winME -- also known as win98TE -- third edition

This is what I have always known.
Except I never heard it called Win98 Gold.
The SE version was far superior to the first edition. I have always
avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
used it has ever been able to specify what they are. Otherwise I
would have upgraded to it long ago, since I own a licensed CD that
came with a computer I bought. I know WinME had better USB support,
and did not need all the drivers. That alone would entice me to
upgrade to ME. Who knows, I might still do it.....

By the way, I tried to make Win2000 look like Win98 on my laptop.
There are no such settings in 2K. (that I can find).

Thanks for the advice

spamblocked@gmail.com

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:20:18 -0500, John Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote:

>On 2008-08-22, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
>> fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

>USB-2 is backwards compatible with USB-1. Does your USB-2 card operate
>at USB-2 speeds under Win98, or does it fall back to USB-1? If it does
>run at USB-2 speed, did you install a new, USB-2 capable driver when you
>added the card?

You got me there.......
To me they both seem to work the same, but for reading my camera cards
and flash sticks they are plenty fast.

Now comes the question. How can I tell how fast it's working? Is
there some software? Maybe the 2.x card is only running at 1.x speed.
Like I said, both seem the same to me.
Is there some software that can tell me the speed it's getting?

I remember I did have to install a driver that came with the card.

By the way, If I was to install WindowsME, would that automatically
give me USB 2.x? I have considered installing WinME since it's
relatively the same as Win98, except for the better USB support, and I
have a WinME install CD that came with one of the computers I bought
anyhow. I know ME can be installed right over Win98 without losing
any settings or data.

elaich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:066ua4hsnhdj834e5mq4r4dfnq3toa268g@
4ax.com:

> I have always
> avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
> used it has ever been able to specify what they are.

If you apply specific tweaks, ME is far better than 98. The main problem
was crashing. I isolated that to a buggy version of IE 5.5 that shipped
with ME. Once I upgraded to IE 6, the crashes were history.

You can find an explanation of how to tweak ME here:

http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html

There is a program called "oppcomme" that allows you to remove all sorts of
uneeded junk from ME. The site that hosted it has recently disappeared, but
you can get the file from archive.org.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801041...om/oppcomme.ht

I ran ME for 6 years, and it ran beautifully after being customized.
However, it is still Win9x, is still just a frontend for DOS (yes, DOS is
still in ME - Microsoft just tried to hide it.) It still has the 9x memory
leak. Seriously, 2000 is so much better, and the system requirements for it
and ME are the same.

elaich wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:066ua4hsnhdj834e5mq4r4dfnq3toa268g@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> I have always
>> avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
>> used it has ever been able to specify what they are.

> If you apply specific tweaks, ME is far better than 98. The main problem
> was crashing. I isolated that to a buggy version of IE 5.5 that shipped
> with ME. Once I upgraded to IE 6, the crashes were history.
>
> You can find an explanation of how to tweak ME here:
>
> http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html
>
> There is a program called "oppcomme" that allows you to remove all sorts of
> uneeded junk from ME. The site that hosted it has recently disappeared, but
> you can get the file from archive.org.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/200801041...om/oppcomme.ht
>
> I ran ME for 6 years, and it ran beautifully after being customized.
> However, it is still Win9x, is still just a frontend for DOS (yes, DOS is
> still in ME - Microsoft just tried to hide it.) It still has the 9x memory
> leak. Seriously, 2000 is so much better, and the system requirements for it
> and ME are the same.

actually, I found x-setup
<http://www.tucows.com/preview/219636> to be an
excellent program. I used it for win98, and it helped
me eliminate nearly 90% of the BSOD.

This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
proper search window.

Tony Raven wrote:
> In article <g8psdc$ivs$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
>> little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
>> proper search window.
>>

> Or:
> REGEDIT
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
> \CabinetState
> Create a new STRING Value "Use Search Asst" and set to "no"
> Close REGEDIT

ooh, so thats where it is. Not everyone know these
little hidden secrets. I wonder if that will work for
the new Windows Search 4.0. Boy, I sure hated that.
It was about as stupid as the dog version.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

letterman@invalid.com

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:42:35 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>elaich wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:066ua4hsnhdj834e5mq4r4dfnq3toa268g@
>> 4ax.com:
>>
>>> I have always
>>> avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
>>> used it has ever been able to specify what they are.

>> If you apply specific tweaks, ME is far better than 98. The main problem
>> was crashing. I isolated that to a buggy version of IE 5.5 that shipped
>> with ME. Once I upgraded to IE 6, the crashes were history.
>>
>> You can find an explanation of how to tweak ME here:
>>
>> http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html
>>
>> There is a program called "oppcomme" that allows you to remove all sorts of
>> uneeded junk from ME. The site that hosted it has recently disappeared, but
>> you can get the file from archive.org.
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/200801041...om/oppcomme.ht
>>
>> I ran ME for 6 years, and it ran beautifully after being customized.
>> However, it is still Win9x, is still just a frontend for DOS (yes, DOS is
>> still in ME - Microsoft just tried to hide it.) It still has the 9x memory
>> leak. Seriously, 2000 is so much better, and the system requirements for it
>> and ME are the same.
>>

>actually, I found x-setup
><http://www.tucows.com/preview/219636> to be an
>excellent program. I used it for win98, and it helped
>me eliminate nearly 90% of the BSOD.
>
>This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
>little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
>proper search window.

If you're running anything older than XP, dont waste your time
downloading X-SETUP.
If you go to the Tucows link above, clicking on the download button
does nothing. It dont work because they moved their website. When
you get to their website, you are once again redirected to yet another
site. Their website says it's made for Win98 thru Vista.
on this page:
http://www.x-setup.net/product/featu...ms.asp?lang=EN

I finally downloaded it, and installed it. It went thru the whole
install, and at the end I selected a box to "RUN PROGRAM".
Immediately a box pops up saying it requires XP. Then says select YES
for an explanation or NO to run the program (which may not run
properly). I went to the explanation, which is written in geek speak,
and basically explains in far too many words that I need XP and some
..dll files from it. Then I took the other option, and selected NO.
The menu pops up, but nothing works on it.

According to the readme file in the program zip, there are more steps
to take. I tried to go to the Microsoft site, which told me I need to
validate, but that failed because I am running win98................

That's when I abandoned the ship, and ran the uninstaller......

I wouldn't mind trying an older version that was made for Win98, but
considering they can't seem to make up their mind what OS's are
supported, I dont know if I want to even use their software.

Their website does not contain any older versions either,

elaich

wrote in news:g8psdc$ivs$(E-Mail Removed):

> This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
> little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
> proper search window.

Hmmm. I used the XP search function for the first time today, saw the
crappy little dog, and got rid of him by clicking "Get rid of animated
helper." Your version of XP didn't have that?

Re: Shame on Mozilla spamblocked@gmail.com Firefox 1 08-22-2008 04:46 AM
Re: Shame on Mozilla spamblocked@gmail.com Firefox 1 08-21-2008 06:06 PM
Re: Shame on Mozilla Rom Firefox 1 08-21-2008 04:04 PM
Re: Shame on Mozilla elaich Firefox 0 08-21-2008 02:22 PM
Control Events renamed in ASPX - What a shame Mikeon ASP .Net 2 03-16-2006 02:51 PM

Advertisments