Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Dlink DWL-G650 (WinXP) works, but not at boot/startup (Code 10)

Reply
Thread Tools

Dlink DWL-G650 (WinXP) works, but not at boot/startup (Code 10)

 
 
Ohaya
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2008
Hi,

I recently got a Dlink DWL-G50 wireless adapter for one of my older
laptops (a Compaq, running WinXP Home SP2).

The Dlink card is a "Rev. B5", and I downloaded the drivers from Dlink
and got them installed.

The Dlink installation installs Dlink's own utility for configuring the
wireless, but I wanted to use the Windows Zero config to do that. At
first, when I enabled the "Let Windows manage" checkbox, I couldn't get
the configuration to show WPA/WPA-PSK, but after a lot of fiddling, I've
been able to get that. I'm not 100% what finally got it working, but I
think it may've been installing the WinXP WPA2 update.

Anyway, things seem to work ok, but I notice that when I boot the
machine up, and if the card is plugged in when I boot, it wasn't showing
up, and in Device Manager, it showed that the card couldn't start, with
a "Code 10".

If I pop the card out, then back in again, XP detects it immediately,
and the wireless works.

If I leave the card out and boot the laptop, then plug the card in after
XP has booted, it gets detected.

I'm probably being a little picky, but I'd like to have the card work in
the situation where the card is plugged in already when the laptop is
booted, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas about what the
problem might be, and how to fix it?

The driver currently 2.2.4.1, dated 7/14/2004, and the file is
ar511.sys, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2008
On Aug 22, 1:43*am, Ohaya <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got a Dlink DWL-G50 wireless adapter for one of my older
> laptops (a Compaq, running WinXP Home SP2).
>
> The Dlink card is a "Rev. B5", and I downloaded the drivers from Dlink
> and got them installed.
>
> The Dlink installation installs Dlink's own utility for configuring the
> wireless, but I wanted to use the Windows Zero config to do that. *At
> first, when I enabled the "Let Windows manage" checkbox, I couldn't get
> the configuration to show WPA/WPA-PSK, but after a lot of fiddling, I've
> been able to get that. *I'm not 100% what finally got it working, but I
> think it may've been installing the WinXP WPA2 update.
>
> Anyway, things seem to work ok, but I notice that when I boot the
> machine up, and if the card is plugged in when I boot, it wasn't showing
> up, and in Device Manager, it showed that the card couldn't start, with
> a "Code 10".
>
> If I pop the card out, then back in again, XP detects it immediately,
> and the wireless works.
>
> If I leave the card out and boot the laptop, then plug the card in after
> XP has booted, it gets detected.
>
> I'm probably being a little picky, but I'd like to have the card work in
> the situation where the card is plugged in already when the laptop is
> booted, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas about what the
> problem might be, and how to fix it?
>
> The driver currently 2.2.4.1, dated 7/14/2004, and the file is
> ar511.sys, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jim


D-Link adapters tend to install a Connection Manger software link in
the Start-up folder. If there is one, remove it from the Start-up
folder and Wireless Zero Configuration should work correctly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ohaya
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2008
On Aug 22, 1:28*pm, smlunatick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 1:43*am, Ohaya <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hi,

>
> > I recently got aDlinkDWL-G50wirelessadapter for one of my older
> > laptops (a Compaq, running WinXP Home SP2).

>
> > TheDlinkcard is a "Rev. B5", and I downloaded the drivers fromDlink
> > and got them installed.

>
> > TheDlinkinstallation installsDlink'sown utility for configuring the
> >wireless, but I wanted to use theWindowsZero config to do that. *At
> > first, when I enabled the "LetWindowsmanage" checkbox, I couldn't get
> > the configuration to show WPA/WPA-PSK, but after a lot of fiddling, I've
> > been able to get that. *I'm not 100% what finally got it working, but I
> > think it may've been installing the WinXP WPA2 update.

>
> > Anyway, things seem to work ok, but I notice that when Ibootthe
> > machine up, and if the card is plugged in when Iboot, it wasn't showing
> > up, and in Device Manager, it showed that the card couldn't start, with
> > a "Code 10".

>
> > If I pop the card out, then back in again,XPdetects it immediately,
> > and thewirelessworks.

>
> > If I leave the card out andbootthe laptop, then plug the card in after
> >XPhas booted, it gets detected.

>
> > I'm probably being a little picky, but I'd like to have the card work in
> > the situation where the card is plugged in already when the laptop is
> > booted, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas about what the
> > problem might be, and how to fix it?

>
> > The driver currently 2.2.4.1, dated 7/14/2004, and the file is
> > ar511.sys, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

>
> > Thanks in advance!

>
> > Jim

>
> D-Link adapters tend to install a Connection Manger software link in
> the Start-up folder. *If there is one, remove it from the Start-up
> folder andWirelessZero Configuration should work correctly.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Hi,

One of the things that I've noticed is that when I boot WinXP with the
card inserted, I don't hear that "kerplunk" sound, but when I pop the
card out, it makes that sound, and when I re-insert it it makes that
sound.

So, I started thinking that, for some reason, Windows wasn't even
"seeing" the card on boot, so I checked the PCMCIA adapter info in
Device Manager. That had "OZ6912", so I thought maybe I needed an
update for the card controller.

I did some searching, and found the following:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16864520

If you look at the 9/12/06 posting from "aldamon", it says:

"Yeah, the latest drivers still didn't work. The OZ6912 Cardbus is
simply not compatible with the card. Here's what O2Micro told me:

There are several 802.11 PC Cards in the field with a compliance issue
to the PC Card Standard. Our products released in past 3 years will
work-around the issue, but OZ6912 is an old product and has this
issue.

The OZ6912 is end-of-life product at O2Micro, there is no support for
it now.

Sorry for this situation.

I returned the card this morning."

So, I think that that is the same thing that is happening with my
situation.

The laptop is a Compaq 2190US, which I "inherited" from my son, and
it's a few years old now, so I think that, unfortunately, that D-Link
DWL-G650 is one of those cards with a "compliance issue".

I'm waiting for a different brand card to arrive, and will try that in
this same laptop to see if it works (I do have some older PCMCIA
cards, an Orinoco Silver, and an "Ambicom", and those work, but
they're only 802.11b).

Thanks,
Jim
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2008
Hi
Cardbuses are so inexpensive that there is No reason wasting time on EOL old
cards.
Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315047
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"ohaya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 22, 1:28 pm, smlunatick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 1:43 am, Ohaya <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hi,

>
> > I recently got aDlinkDWL-G50wirelessadapter for one of my older
> > laptops (a Compaq, running WinXP Home SP2).

>
> > TheDlinkcard is a "Rev. B5", and I downloaded the drivers fromDlink
> > and got them installed.

>
> > TheDlinkinstallation installsDlink'sown utility for configuring the
> >wireless, but I wanted to use theWindowsZero config to do that. At
> > first, when I enabled the "LetWindowsmanage" checkbox, I couldn't get
> > the configuration to show WPA/WPA-PSK, but after a lot of fiddling, I've
> > been able to get that. I'm not 100% what finally got it working, but I
> > think it may've been installing the WinXP WPA2 update.

>
> > Anyway, things seem to work ok, but I notice that when Ibootthe
> > machine up, and if the card is plugged in when Iboot, it wasn't showing
> > up, and in Device Manager, it showed that the card couldn't start, with
> > a "Code 10".

>
> > If I pop the card out, then back in again,XPdetects it immediately,
> > and thewirelessworks.

>
> > If I leave the card out andbootthe laptop, then plug the card in after
> >XPhas booted, it gets detected.

>
> > I'm probably being a little picky, but I'd like to have the card work in
> > the situation where the card is plugged in already when the laptop is
> > booted, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas about what the
> > problem might be, and how to fix it?

>
> > The driver currently 2.2.4.1, dated 7/14/2004, and the file is
> > ar511.sys, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

>
> > Thanks in advance!

>
> > Jim

>
> D-Link adapters tend to install a Connection Manger software link in
> the Start-up folder. If there is one, remove it from the Start-up
> folder andWirelessZero Configuration should work correctly.- Hide quoted
> text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Hi,

One of the things that I've noticed is that when I boot WinXP with the
card inserted, I don't hear that "kerplunk" sound, but when I pop the
card out, it makes that sound, and when I re-insert it it makes that
sound.

So, I started thinking that, for some reason, Windows wasn't even
"seeing" the card on boot, so I checked the PCMCIA adapter info in
Device Manager. That had "OZ6912", so I thought maybe I needed an
update for the card controller.

I did some searching, and found the following:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16864520

If you look at the 9/12/06 posting from "aldamon", it says:

"Yeah, the latest drivers still didn't work. The OZ6912 Cardbus is
simply not compatible with the card. Here's what O2Micro told me:

There are several 802.11 PC Cards in the field with a compliance issue
to the PC Card Standard. Our products released in past 3 years will
work-around the issue, but OZ6912 is an old product and has this
issue.

The OZ6912 is end-of-life product at O2Micro, there is no support for
it now.

Sorry for this situation.

I returned the card this morning."

So, I think that that is the same thing that is happening with my
situation.

The laptop is a Compaq 2190US, which I "inherited" from my son, and
it's a few years old now, so I think that, unfortunately, that D-Link
DWL-G650 is one of those cards with a "compliance issue".

I'm waiting for a different brand card to arrive, and will try that in
this same laptop to see if it works (I do have some older PCMCIA
cards, an Orinoco Silver, and an "Ambicom", and those work, but
they're only 802.11b).

Thanks,
Jim

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ohaya
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2008
Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> Cardbuses are so inexpensive that there is No reason wasting time on EOL
> old cards.
> Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315047
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)


Hi,

It's a really old laptop that I "inherited" from one of my sons , and
I figured that if I ever got a new laptop, it'd probably have one of
those new smaller card slots, so I didn't want to spend a lot on it.

FYI, I just got this Linksys card:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LICWPC54GX4

and it works fine, and doesn't have that problem with the boot/startup.

Jim
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dlink 624 and cisco VPN -can not get to work LHradowy Cisco 0 02-28-2005 08:16 PM
Re: Dlink Wireless card not showing on XP TW Wireless Networking 1 08-03-2004 12:10 AM
Re: Using DLink DWL-G520+ with Q815485 but no WPA-PSK or any WPA? R.H. Wireless Networking 0 06-19-2004 05:51 AM
How to Connect Dlink Router to a Dlink Router? fgarvin2000NOSPAM@yahoo.com Computer Support 2 09-06-2003 05:05 AM



Advertisments