Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: Very less resource fixed point 32x32 bit multiplier and 32/32divider

Re: Very less resource fixed point 32x32 bit multiplier and 32/32divider

Kevin Neilson

Pratap wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to build an ASIC synthesizable fixed point 32x32 multiplier and
> fixed point 32/32 divider with very less hardware resource for my
> design.Speed is not at all a matter for me.
> I can space 100s of cycles for my computaions.
> Can anybody help me with the code (preferably in VHDL) or suitable
> references?
> Thanks,
> Pratap

If speed isn't an issue, you could put in a small 8- or 16-bit
microprocessor and small instruction ROM and let the C compiler take
care of the floating point operations.
-Kevin

quantum_dot quantum_dot is offline
Member

If speed is not an issue, then one solution can be to use a high speed internal clock and do the multiplication operation in sequence using on 32x32 bit multiplier

jeppe jeppe is offline
Senior Member
Location: Denmark

Well - in any case will you have to use sequential design in order to save logic.
you "only" need 32 clock pulses to perform those operations:

Visit: http://www.jjmk.dk/MMMI/Lessons/06_A...tics/Index.htm

Your welcome
Jeppe

Kevin Neilson

Kevin Neilson wrote:
> Pratap wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I need to build an ASIC synthesizable fixed point 32x32 multiplier and
>> fixed point 32/32 divider with very less hardware resource for my
>> design.Speed is not at all a matter for me.
>> I can space 100s of cycles for my computaions.
>> Can anybody help me with the code (preferably in VHDL) or suitable
>> references?
>> Thanks,
>> Pratap
>>

> If speed isn't an issue, you could put in a small 8- or 16-bit
> microprocessor and small instruction ROM and let the C compiler take
> care of the floating point operations.
> -Kevin

Sorry; I just noticed you said "fixed point" and not "floating point".
If you've got lots of time, you can make a multiplier from a single
adder and a divider from a single subtractor. Or if you wanted to be
smaller, you could go down to a single two-bit full adder, or use
bit-serial techniques. I would think, though, that in an ASIC, you have
plenty of gates, and simple "*" will be nicely synthesized into a small
core from the ASIC library.
-Kevin