Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 04:45:53 GMT, "Pauline" <(E-Mail Removed)> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Joan Archer wrote:
>: Have you looked online for the manufacturer of this router to see if
>: they have any instructions about it. ?
>
>Yes, the telephone number no longer works. The website is really bad.
>No support whatsoever.
>
>smlunatick wrote:
>: Reset button is used to reset the router back to factory defaults,
>: including the default password. There is usually a process to use the
>: reset (ie: press the reset button before powering on the router.)
>:
>: Locate the router's manual, if possible. It should list the default
>: password.
>:
>: PS: The reset button is also a "hard reset."
>
>Not for this one! The manual just says to press reset button.
>
>I have Googled this wireless router. Others have reported that the reset
>button does NOT reset the admin password. One nut poster justified
>this router's inability to reset the router's password.
>
>I have tried different combinations including holding the reset buttons
>for 10+ seconds while powering up. This one is a real devil. I don't
>know why Gigafast made it this difficult. These aren't commerical
>wireless routers. But, they are real cheap wireless routers. The only
>other alternative will be to throw it away and buy a new one from
>another manufacturer.

This tech site appears to have some useful info:
http://www.bcwireless.net/moin.cgi/GigaFast_WF719-CAPR

It states that "the GigaFast WF719-CAPR 802.11g is actually the CC&C
WA-2204A router, (it is registered at the FCC under this name) but AKA
Gigafast WF719-CAPR, AKA Blanc Wireless G router BW54R11, AKA MSI
RG54SE, AKA Bluecomm WA-2204A, AKA Zonet ZSR1114WE".

It talks about a "recovery mode". Maybe you could use it to upload the
latest firmware and hopefully this procedure will also reset the
default password. Hopefully it won't require the current password to
get in. I notice that the firmware instructions require you to upload
three .bin files starting with linux-1.4.bin.

This is the recovery procedure:

1. Unplug the router
2. Hold down the reset button and turn the router on, wait for 5
seconds before releasing the button
3. Set your computer's IP in the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.24 range
4. Use pumpKIN to upload the firmware.
5. Use the above software to send the .bin file to 192.168.1.6
6. Wait a couple of minutes, the router should reboot by itself and
load the new firmware.
7. If the WLAN status light flashes irregularly, there may be a
problem with the firmware.

File transfer software:
http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/

Firmware:
http://www.gigafast.com/products/pro...ivers/v141.zip

BTW, I notice that the brochure for your modem ...

http://www.gigafast.com/products/pro...WF719-CAPR.pdf

.... claims that it supports WPA and WPA2 encryption. I would think
that would be a good reason to get it going.

BTW, if you're going to throw your modem away, I would love to have
it, if only for experimentation.

One more thing you could try is to get into your modem via FTP. I'm
not sure which IP address to use but you could try ...

ftp://192.168.1.6
ftp://192.168.1.254

.... or the default gateway address, maybe ftp://192.168.1.1 or
ftp://192.168.1.2 ???

Look for a "secrets" file.

Some other pages of potential interest:
http://192.168.1.254/syscmd.asp
http://192.168.1.254/ccncsetup.asp
http://192.168.1.254/WlanSetDefaultC.asp

You could also try telnet with any of the above IP addresses, eg go to
Start -> Run and type ...

telnet 192.168.1.6

You will probably be asked for a password, but there's no harm in
trying ...

- Franc Zabkar