Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: The mac for Java programmers

Re: The mac for Java programmers

Bent C Dalager

On 2008-08-20, Steve W. Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> And you'll find that fewer and fewer Mac
> users have a single button mouse these days. It's all Apple sells, but
> many of us (especially techies) have been using a multi-button for years.

The default mouse delivered by Apple is the Mighty Mouse, which has
four buttons.

Choosing to configure it to use one, two, three or four buttons is
left at the user's discretion. It may default to only having one
active button, but any user that is incapable of finding the mouse
config menu probably doesn't want the complexity of multiple mouse
buttons anyway.

Cheers,
Bent D
--
Bent Dalager - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://www.pvv.org/~bcd
powered by emacs

Andreas Leitgeb

Bent C Dalager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The default mouse delivered by Apple is the Mighty Mouse, which has
> four buttons.

Is that the one whose scroll-wheel is actually a scroll-*ball*?

It drove someone I know mad, because when surfing and scrolling
down the page, an inadverted drifting sideways suddenly caused
the browser to go back/forward in the browsing history. That's
of course not a fault of the mighty mouse, but rather poor
usability-design on browser's part.

Btw., that guy's (G5-)mainboard snuffed it after little more
than two years of age, and he isn't likely to buy electronic
waste from that company again any time soon.

Andreas Leitgeb

Steve W. Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andreas Leitgeb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Btw., that guy's (G5-)mainboard snuffed it after little more
>> than two years of age, and he isn't likely to buy electronic
>> waste from that company again any time soon.

> Wow...somebody gives up way too easily.

Back at the time when he decided for the mac, he was frustrated
about sucky PC-hardware, and decided spending more money for a mac
and get better quality in return. He did indeed pay more, but he
got the same (if not worse) waste for it as what he was frustrated
about with PCs. Not talking about computing power, which was fine,
but about durability.

> One had a "mainboard" go bad after just over two years.
> One had a power supply fail after 5 years.

His power supply also failed even sooner but "luckily" by a month
still in time for warranty.

> all been flawless in terms of failures. It can happen to anyone's
> product. So why avoid a company for one bad item?

With expensive products one is principially less forgiving.

PS: Ok, this isn't an appropriate place to discuss computer hardware
quality. I consider this subthread closed from my side, and if anyone
decides to continue, he'll do so without me, or per email.

Bent C Dalager

On 2008-08-21, Andreas Leitgeb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bent C Dalager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The default mouse delivered by Apple is the Mighty Mouse, which has
>> four buttons.

> Is that the one whose scroll-wheel is actually a scroll-*ball*?

Yes. The ball also serves as one of the buttons.

> It drove someone I know mad, because when surfing and scrolling
> down the page, an inadverted drifting sideways suddenly caused
> the browser to go back/forward in the browsing history. That's
> of course not a fault of the mighty mouse, but rather poor
> usability-design on browser's part.

If my browser did this I would get really upset with it

The sideways-scrolling feature can be annoying when there's a
horizontal scrollbar because I want to scroll vertically a /lot/ more
often than I want to scroll horizontally but the scroll ball doesn't
appear to be any less sensitive along the one axis than along the
other. Luckily, few windows have horizontal scrollbars. They are
annoying for more reasons than just this one.

Cheers,
Bent D
--
Bent Dalager - (E-Mail Removed) - http://www.pvv.org/~bcd