Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > How to limit CPU usage within C++ (Linux)

How to limit CPU usage within C++ (Linux)

Alexander Dong Back Kim

Dear members,

First of all, I apologize that this question is not 100% pure C++
question so some might be annoyed by this.

I'm writing a multithreading based application. The application can
use flexible number of threads while it's running (between 2~32
threads when it's needed or configured). My development machine has 8
CPU so the application I'm writing sometimes uses 600% of CPU usage
which was very impressive at the beginning. However, since the real
target machine has only 1 CPU and requires to run many other
applications at the same time, I think I should somehow limit the CPU
usage of my application (let say 30%.

I tried to use sleep() but I found out it's not good enough because I
want to explicitly define maximum CPU usage rate for this application.
Any suggestion or recommendation are welcomed and appreciated.

regards,

peter koch

On 19 Aug., 10:44, Alexander Dong Back Kim <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Dear members,
>
> First of all, I apologize that this question is not 100% pure C++
> question so some might be annoyed by this.
>
> I'm writing a multithreading based application. The application can
> use flexible number of threads while it's running (between 2~32
> threads when it's needed or configured). My development machine has 8
> CPU so the application I'm writing sometimes uses 600% of CPU usage
> which was very impressive at the beginning. However, since the real
> target machine has only 1 CPU and requires to run many other
> applications at the same time, I think I should somehow limit the CPU
> usage of my application (let say 30%.
>
> I tried to use sleep() but I found out it's not good enough because I
> want to explicitly define maximum CPU usage rate for this application.
> Any suggestion or recommendation are welcomed and appreciated.
>
> regards,

There is no good C++ answer to your question - using sleep is
certainly not a good solution.
The way to go is to have "nice" threads - giving them a lower priority
than the normal user threads. This way you can get all the CPU-time
when noone else is using the CPU(s) without impeding them they want to
run something "more important".

/Peter

Lionel B

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:44:48 -0700, Alexander Dong Back Kim wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> First of all, I apologize that this question is not 100% pure C++
> question so some might be annoyed by this.
>
> I'm writing a multithreading based application. The application can use
> flexible number of threads while it's running (between 2~32 threads when
> it's needed or configured). My development machine has 8 CPU so the
> application I'm writing sometimes uses 600% of CPU usage which was very
> impressive at the beginning. However, since the real target machine has
> only 1 CPU and requires to run many other applications at the same time,
> I think I should somehow limit the CPU usage of my application (let say
> 30%.
>
> I tried to use sleep() but I found out it's not good enough because I
> want to explicitly define maximum CPU usage rate for this application.
> Any suggestion or recommendation are welcomed and appreciated.

man nice

--
Lionel B