Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: Mixed clocked/combinatorial coding styles

Re: Mixed clocked/combinatorial coding styles

Mike Treseler

Jonathan Bromley wrote:
> OK, so I tried the following synthesis example -
> various declarations omitted to save space.

Thanks for all the unbillable hours.

> All five tools gave correct results, but two tools
> failed to merge the duplicate registers they had
> created for count and q. Of course, it is entirely
> possible that those duplicate registers might be
> merged later, during place-and-route, as they were
> indeed exact duplicates.

I have yet to see a duplicate register
make it all the way through synthesis,
but they do sometimes clutter the RTL