Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

turbonium2

I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
how to make it work in Windows XP.

What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

Lem

turbonium2 wrote:
> I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
> how to make it work in Windows XP.
>
> What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
> laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
> system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
> setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
> anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
> Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

Windows calls this "Internet Connection Sharing." It works, but not as
well as buying a separate wireless router.

Enable Windows Internet Connection Sharing. The catch is that you will
have to set up an "ad hoc" wireless connection between the laptops. If
you're using XP, only the extremely weak WEP encryption is available for
ad hoc wireless networks. Vista enables WPA2.

See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx

For basic ICS setup, see this article by MVP Steve Winograd:
http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

--
Lem -- MS-MVP